The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Thinking of a charactor focus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

Thinking of a charactor focus Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:08 am

In the near future I am thinking of doing a charactor focus, I dont think i will go as indepth with minor variations or card back variations, so any idea's?
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:35 am

Carl Waterworth wrote:
In the near future I am thinking of doing a charactor focus, I dont think i will go as indepth with minor variations or card back variations, so any idea's?

If I had to do it all over again, I would pick one of the earlier characters. Like a figure from the Star Wars line or even ESB. I would also pick a character that had the most known foreign variants, because to me, that's 90% of the fun.

I also think it would be fun to focus on a character that had some one else playing as well. That way you could help each other out and share ideas/thoughts/finds/questions with each other. Sometimes being the only one focusing on a character has it's advantages, but sometimes it has disadvantages as well.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 8:35 am

Well, I think character focus collections are awesome so I am quite in favour of people starting one lol

I love my collection but I have to agree with Chris about getting an earlier figure than ROTJ, you can have a load of fun with ROTJ figures but if your budget stretches to SW/ESB etc then go for it, the diversity will be way more rewarding!

Have you thought about any figure in particular? I love collections that focus on any of the original 12 figures, you rarely see many ESB figures focused on for some reason.. Its mostly original 12 (main characters) or ROTJ guys!

What about a nice cloud car pilot or bespin guard focus Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:31 am

Joe i was thinking of a Stormtrooper! what ever it is, it would have to be one of the 1st 21, i am not really bothered on back or minor variants, but i would want somthing that captures all 5 logo'd cards
Back to top Go down
Obidan
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:35 am

I am doing a Boba Fett and Darth Vader Focus, 2 of the all time best characters going and some nice card variants, also the other great thing bout those 2 is that there are loads of bootleg variants aswell.

A stormie focus would be something different Jawa focus would also be fun but possibly very expensive for all the carded variants.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:37 am

Stormie Smiley Stormies sure do get some love from collectors! I think there are 4-5 "big" stormtrooper collectors on RS alone, competition might be tough Wink

Good luck though!
Back to top Go down
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:41 am

Yeah! i know, also is there enough on the market for another focus collection, ayway thngs have happened over the last 12hrs that may delay any charactor focus abit longer Wink Chi ching!!!
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:52 am

I started a Boba Fett focus not to long ago... it's fun, but all the good stuff will take years, years, years and years to get since anything with Boba Fett has such a high price tag!!!
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:53 am

My advice would be to pick something that will give you plenty of variety and longevity, but also not be a drain on your finances!!!

Unless money isn't an issue... then do whatever you want!!!

Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:57 am

I’m the opposite end of the spectrum I could never be able to put together a single vintage character focus like what Joe, Chris and many collectors have done. Don’t get me wrong I love seeing their collections and watching the focus grow etc and I've great respect for the dedication needed to do it.

For me my problem ultimately is because I love far too many of the vintage figures!

In my opinion some of the vintage figure sculpts and designs are outstanding on top of that though I totally love the vintage card back art and logos! SW, ESB, ROTJ, TRI, POTF, Foreign logo designs there’s now way I could be able to focus on just one figure!!

I am a MOC guy at heart and a clear bubble fanatic lol (although I like loose ungraded figures as well) and I’m really into the display side of the hobby at the minute. I’m going to be overhauling my collection room next week and will finally get some new items on the shelves Smile The thing I like most is to chill out and spend time going round the collection room looking at all the different MOC's seeing all those different figures in clear bubbles and awesome card art takes me right back to the good old days.
It’s the same when I see other peoples collections I love collections that have a range of variety Wouters "Vintage Slice of Oddball" and Johns "Its a Small World Focus" comes to mind - That’s not to say I don’t appreciate focus collections I do and the dedication needed to them is inspiring it’s just for me if I had to pick been a display unit full of MOC's of just one figure or a Display unit full of MOC's from loads of different figures and issues there would be no contest.

Not in any way saying don’t go for a specific figure focus I’m just offering my perspective Smile

Some Con's when you go for a figure focus -

Picking certain Figures like Vader, Stormtrooper, Bikerscout means you will have stiff competition.

A casual MOC collector can easily pass on a MOC if the price isn’t right but a figure focus collector at times will not have that luxury expect to pay more to land certain items.

This leads me to the darker side of the hobby - Certain players will deliberately buy up items knowing that focus collectors desperately need them for their run / focus there has been numerous cases of this and it’s a lot more common than you think. Guys will outbid you on eBay to win the item you desperately needed for your focus. By taking them off the market they can then jack up the price and effectively hold the focus collector to ransom.

Just some thoughts thrown out there Smile

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Jay

Last edited by jaymassive619 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Obidan
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:02 am

Boba has to be the best focus even the modern stuff does not look too bad, I was not impressed with the first reissues of the figures especially when the gave the luke and vader figures an almost he-man look, I am going to treat myself to one of the 2010 Rocket Fett it looks cool with the vintage mold
Back to top Go down
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:09 am

Jay i agree with what u say and tbh that the reasons why i havent done it already! anyway if i do go for it, i think all i will want would be a SW,ESB, ROTJ, TRi and POTF example and maybe a revenge proof, I would be content with that Smile

But I ask myself, being tied up collecting coins, do i want to be tied to somthing else too??
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:18 am

Carl Waterworth wrote:
Jay i agree with what u say and tbh that the reasons why i havent done it already! anyway if i do go for it, i think all i will want would be a SW,ESB, ROTJ, TRi and POTF example and maybe a revenge proof, I would be content with that Smile

But I ask myself, being tied up collecting coins, do i want to be tied to somthing else too??

Its probably worth adding a do have little sub runs if you can call them that lol

I have a Vader side focus that includes over 20 loose variants, bootlegs as well as some MOC's and I also have a Luke MOC run where i have the different Luke Figures on different cardback isssues licenses etc.

I tend to have a few multiple MOC versions of the figures i really like rather than any particular focus though.

Jay
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:22 am

Carl Waterworth wrote:

That has been my dilemma too Carl. Because of collecting coins, my Luke focus has certainly not grown as fast as it could. However, I feel that I've acquired some great pieces, so even though I may not have the quantity, the quality is up there and I'm happy with what I have.

I also have to agree with what Chris said about sharing the same focus with someone. I've been lucky in that two other Luke Jedi collectors are very nice people. I've passed on items for them and they've passed on items for me. It has worked out very well in that way for us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Obidan
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:46 am

I did a luke jedi focus, even had a blue saber version on card with insert tray a vintage factory seal which has since been sold had most variations of cape, ribbed, fluffy and snap and orange/tan cape but they are all going to increase funding on boba and darth both seem to be very expensive for the decent stuff.

I never really got into the coins and collecting all the different card back I just brought the best quality figures I could afford carded or loose but pretty much made sure I had a complete loose collection

all the variaitons in figures just increase the enjoyment of collecting and although I never focused on cards I made sure to get as many variants of the figures as I could find luke bespin is another good example somany hair colour and coo variations
Back to top Go down
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Well, this idea is on hold for now. Stormtrooper armour ordered and a possibility of a proto coin coming my way :cool laugh:
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:35 pm

Carl Waterworth wrote:
Well, this idea is on hold for now. Stormtrooper armour ordered and a possibility of a proto coin coming my way :cool laugh:

Nice! I can't wait to see which coin it is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of a charactor focus   Thinking of a charactor focus I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking of a charactor focus

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1