The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Resealed figures discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

Resealed figures discussion Empty
PostSubject: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 8:28 am

I have a pretty strong viewpoint on figures that are resealed and sold as original as I am sure many of you have, but what about buying or selling a reseal of a rare piece with full knowledge of the card being resealed?

I never thought I would entertain buying a piece that was resealed even if that was disclosed to me, it just didn't sit right with me and up until recently I have never thought about it.

A figure that by all accounts is very popular and quite rare came up for me that was resealed, this one is a fraction of the price of a sealed example and by all accounts all pieces involved are all original (figure , bubble and card) do I go for the cheap resealed one because its such a good price? Will I regret it later?

I am really 50/50 on it, it would look great on display and I would make sure if I ever parted with it that the reseal was disclosed to the next buyer of course and hope he would do the same but do I really want a reseal in my collection?

Help me decide lol! Has anyone bought a reseal and is fine with it?
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 8:53 am

I'm a strong believer of if its not original, then I don't want it in my collection. Now if its a rare item that pops up once in a blue moon and its a decent price, I might entertain on getting it as a place holder until I was able to get the original sealed one when it popped up. And I did say might entertain. But in the back of my warped mind, theres that voice saying "Save the cash until the real deal shows up so you wont have to sell a kidney to get that thing". For me I just wouldn't feel comfortable knowing a reseal was there amongst all the original seals. As for regretting it, I would because I spent the cash on something that I wouldn't be happy with later on down the line. If not, I'd go hunt Darth Beer down and have him make me a bunch of 12a backs. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 8:58 am

I definitely hear you Chris, my biggest fear is that I will get it then at some point be able to afford or get offered one at a price I can afford thats 100% real deal, I guess at the price of this piece I could get my money back by selling it on to someone else but maybe waiting is the answer.

The thing is this figure is pretty big $$, a little too rich for my blood so the resealed one appeals to my budget a LOT more! Sad
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 9:00 am

For a rare piece that is unlikely to come up for sale sealed then get it. Would you buy a rare MOC where there was bubble damage & the figure could be removed but displays really well? I would for the right price.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 9:13 am

If its a Ledy, then go for it. Those things I would REALLY entertain getting as a reseal since the originals are out of the ballpark for me also and I'd be happy with it. If its something like a Palitoy, Toltoys, Top Toys, Harbert or something in that vein of rareity, I'd wait on it. Other than that, if the price is right on it, go for it. Like AJ said, if its a piece that rarely shows up, if one ever does, I'd get it.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 10:49 am

EDIT: after reading back my post, I conclude I must have understood Joe's question. When writing I thought it was a discussion whether one should buy resealed MOCs at all because of the danger these items might be sold as genuine MOCs some day. Please read the following in that respect.

Interesting topic you brought up Joe!.

I bought a resealed 21 back Boba Fett on a Star Wars card a few months ago. It is great on display and I enjoy every minute looking at it. I hope that a genuine 21back will soon join the club to make an even greater display.

I can not come up with any reason to do so, but IF I would ever sale this piece, I will mention to potential buyers that it is a reseal off cours. However, once sold, I am not longer in control, so there is a possibility that the resealed card would be sold as a genuine MOC. It is true, there are bad sellers out there who try to deceive (naive) buyers. That is already bad enough. Question is whether I make the situation worse and allow this scum to have a strong influence on my decision to buy some selected resealed MOCs as part of my hobby? I guess you know my answer

Am I a bad person now?

Probably not. Three reasons:

1. I think there is a growing interest in rare resealed items, as the genuine MOCs are just too expensive to buy. A group of community members that decided not to buy these reseals any more is not going to change that much imo. But off course we want to make a good example. Maybe we could therefore agree upon some pragmatic rule of conduct, like everyone is free to buy resealed MOCs but we expect everyone to keep these items in their own collections and do not sell them.

2. I hope to enjoy a long life. So expect my resealed 21back to first hit the market in 40-50 years from now. At that time, probablly all bublles are completely detached from our cardbacks because of chemical breakdown of the glue. The difference between a loose sealed and resealed card is not longer relevant any more then as the first group no longer exists. Only AFA collectors know that their cards were once genuine MOCs while looking at the yellow bubbles on the bottom of their acryl cases.

3. I just asked her and my girlfriend still likes me despite my Star Wars hobby Very Happy

Just my thoughts,

Last edited by Dr Dengar on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 11:00 am

Hey Joe,
Personally i dont have any problem on buying resealed/no sealed cards if its a VHTF MOC or is in very good shape,at last we are talking about vintage bubble, card and figure!!
I have just one resealed card ....
This is my resealed TRI FETT,
Resealed figures discussion Dsc_0017
I bougth it for a 10th(or less) part of money than a sealed Tri Fett and i think is in better shape than many other MOCs ,I am very happy with it and i think i never gonna sell it,
Let me know what do you think about , Hope this help you to take the correct decission.
Best regards
JAvi
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 11:14 am

Do it mate, as long as its been well done it will display fine and be good as a filler.

If the point comes where you can afford the real thing then you can just sell the resealed one on.

just look at Javis tri fett, that looks fine to me.
Back to top Go down
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 11:15 am

Dr Dengar wrote:

2. I hope to enjoy a long life. So expect my resealed 21back to first hit the market in 40-50 years from now. At that time, probablly all bublles are completely detached from our cardbacks because of chemical breakdown of the glue. The difference between a loose sealed and resealed card is not longer relevant any more then as the first group no longer exists. Only AFA collectors know that their cards were once genuine MOCs while looking at the yellow bubbles on the bottom of their acryl cases.

Dr Dengar, i am completely agree with your words mate!!i am art restorer and i know a bit about the degradation of materials and i know that every bubble turn to yellow in a few years( even in a dark enviroment ) also the bubbles will detached because of chemical breakdown of the adesive, as you said...Wolff can also confirm this...

That´s life mates!! so enjoy your items every day and dont expend to much money!!!

lol! lol! lol!

Cheers
Javi
Back to top Go down
Obidan
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 11:20 am

I have purchased resealed figures in the past but when I sold them on I always stated they were resealed, I also brought a bulk load of MOC and found that the seller had not been honest as the picture was not showing everything but paying £200 for 25 MOc was not too bad until i got them and there were a load of resealed and recarded there was probably only around 7 decent moc but joy of joys one was a 21bk Boba so he si not going anywhere the others have all now been sold on as I am focusing on Boba and Darth.
some reseals and some recards do look really good, and it is nice that many people who make them are actually putting reproduction packaging markings on the cards so sellers cant con buyers
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 12:48 pm

javiswspain wrote:
Dr Dengar wrote:

Dr Dengar, i am completely agree with your words mate!!i am art restorer and i know a bit about the degradation of materials and i know that every bubble turn to yellow in a few years( even in a dark enviroment ) also the bubbles will detached because of chemical breakdown of the adesive, as you said...Wolff can also confirm this...

That´s life mates!! so enjoy your items every day and dont expend to much money!!!

lol! lol! lol!

Cheers
Javi

hmm maybe try argon atmosphere Very Happy.....

lol!

Seriously...he is right...the plastics are all on their way to be doomed...thats the sad fact!

Wolff
Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Don´t worry about it...

In 15 or 20 years all MOC action figures will be resealed!!!

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Lovely Fetts!

Damn you guys making it hard to say no now! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 1:31 pm

javiswspain wrote:
Dr Dengar wrote:

wbobafett wrote:

hmm maybe try argon atmosphere Very Happy.....

lol!

Seriously...he is right...the plastics are all on their way to be doomed...thats the sad fact!

Wolff

Thanks Javi and Wolff.

Can't agree with you more, you got to be realistic about chemical and biological degradation of your collection items on the long term, but don't let them take you down your enthousiasm for your SW hobby. In another thread I used similar words and by exception I quote myself once:

Dr Dengar wrote:
In 100 years all the organic parts (plastic, cardbacks) of our collections has degraded considerably, leaving the (inorganic) POTF coins probably the sole survivor of time aging.

But why care about future, when today I can cherish each and every moment sitting quietly at the attic amidst my SW boxes, providing me plenty of joy and pure nostalgia from the past.

"All beauty is fleeting..”

Wolff: Helium will do the job as well? It is a bit cheaper I guess, and you start talking like Donald Duck.

Back to the topic now: Joe, you already decided what to do? (is it a 8D8 on LL card?)
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 1:49 pm

I think all inert (nobel) gases would do! But fact is: Some art is prevented by argon...dont ask me...Even I dont know why Argon and not Helium...maybe its because its more easily to deal with ???????????????
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 2:12 pm

It is indeed a Ledy 8D8, resealed.

I almost bought an original seal for $600 this year, in the end I bought something else.

This resealed one is $150..
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Joe_O wrote:

I almost bought an original seal for $600 this year, in the end I bought something else.

Joe: Try to negotiate down to $120 and then just buy it.

wbobafett wrote:
I think all inert (nobel) gases would do! But fact is: Some art is prevented by argon...dont ask me...Even I dont know why Argon and not Helium...maybe its because its more easily to deal with ???????????????

Maybe to prevent your AFA cases from floating around like balloons? Very Happy (sorry only thing I can think of as it is heavier than Helium)
Back to top Go down
Tiefighterboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Tiefighterboy

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Real figure....real bubble...real cardback...someone else's glue...no problem(:
Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 3:08 pm

Just wait Joe. It will never be the same as a real one.
Back to top Go down
Tiefighterboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Tiefighterboy

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Capetown wrote:

Kinda like fake tits vs real ones.............Not sure which is better. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Tiefighterboy wrote:
Capetown wrote:

Kinda like fake tits vs real ones.............Not sure which is better. Very Happy

I guess to be sure, you should first experience them both? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Obidan
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 4:10 pm

Vintage Seal Vs Reseal I have been offered Ledy Boba Fetts one is Vintage seal graded afa 75 and the other is a reseal the price is $2500 for the AFA and $600 for the reseal both from good sellers in the USA that I ahve purchased from before but wanted to know if the prices were right
Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Obidan wrote:
Vintage Seal Vs Reseal I have been offered Ledy Boba Fetts one is Vintage seal graded afa 75 and the other is a reseal the price is $2500 for the AFA and $600 for the reseal both from good sellers in the USA that I ahve purchased from before but wanted to know if the prices were right

Thread hijacking huh? Twisted Evil

TAKE THIS!!! :emperor:

Seriously: PM merlin.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Capetown wrote:

TAKE THIS!!! :emperor:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Joe_O wrote:

And that was only a guess that it was Ledy. cheers All I can say is if you will be happy with it is all that matters. If later on down the line you think you wont be satisfied with it in the collection, even as a filler until a real deal shows, don't do it. Going back to an old post on RS, if your an art collector, would you want a real Rembrandt or a copy of one?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resealed figures discussion   Resealed figures discussion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Resealed figures discussion

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next