The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! Empty
PostSubject: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:17 am

Hi guys,

Below are pics of a Hong Kong Luke Jedi with a cloak which is much darker than I have seen before (I also included a comparison shot with a normal cloak).

It seems that the dye also left some stains on Luke's face.

I think this is just a custom dyed cloak. The seller could not guarantee it was a genuine cloak either as he had never seen it before too. The price was low so I bought it anyway.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Cloak appears to be custom at the end of this thread. Changed title of this topic accordingly.
Edit: Added a new dark cloak and changed title of the thread again

Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! P100814_102615

Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! P100814_102756

Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! P100814_102929

Last edited by Dr Dengar on Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:25 am

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:59 am

aussiejames wrote:
Have you seen Craig's limelight? http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/vintage-limelights-f6/craigy-s-luke-jedi-last-updated-02-07-2010-t504.htm

No I haven't, until now. Impressing pile of information, nicely done!!

I could not find anything about a dark cloak at first glance, strengthening my assumption it must be a custom cloak.
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi Marco,

Thanks for you kind words and nice to meet you.

When you PM'd me about a "dyed" Luke Jedi cape, I was expecting to see the Mocha Brown cape that you see on the prototype Luke Jedi (Shown in all the early ROTJ Packaging)

This colour, although obvisouly darker than the cape on the right, looks OK on my Laptop screen.

The cape came from a "Made in Hong Kong" Luke Jedi figure and not the "Hong Kong" Luke. These two factories, although both in Hong Kong, made totally different figures and accessories. Now if you look at the "ribbing efffect" on the outside of the darker cape it is thicker for "MIHK" Lukes which was the give-away for me.
The MIHK capes are also darker so I don't think you have nothing to worry about.

Although the colour for this cape is darker, I can't expalin why Luke has brown marks though... very interesting... Does the same brown marks appear anywhere else on the figure or just the face? I do have lukes which have dark brown spots appearing on the head. This is the plastic breaking down.

I can't see any reason why someone would re-dye the cape again and re-dye it this particular colour as it would not increase its value. If it has been re-dyed, you can check for this by soaking a part of the cape in water. If it has been re-dyed then some of the colour will seep out into the water.

Best regards

Craig

EDIT I STRIKED THROUGH INCORRECT INFORMATION IN ORIGINAL POST

Last edited by Craig T on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Craig T wrote:
Hi Marco,

Thanks for you kind words and nice to meet you.

When you PM'd me about a "dyed" Luke Jedi cape, I was expecting to see the Mocha Brown cape that you see on the prototype Luke Jedi (Shown in all the early ROTJ Packaging)

This colour, although obvisouly darker than the cape on the right, looks OK on my Laptop screen. The cape came from a "Made in Hong Kong" Luke Jedi figure and not the "Hong Kong" Luke. These two factories, although both in Hong Kong, made totally different figures and accessories. Now if you look at the "ribbing efffect" on the outside of the darker cape it is thicker for "MIHK" Lukes which was the give-away for me. The MIHK capes are also darker so I don't think you have nothing to worry about.

Although the colour for this cape is darker, I can't expalin why Luke has brown marks though... very interesting... Does the same brown marks appear anywhere else on the figure or just the face? I do have lukes which have dark brown spots appearing on the head. This is the plastic breaking down.

I can't see any reason why someone would re-dye the cape again and re-dye it this particular colour as it would not increase its value. If it has been re-dyed, you can check for this by soaking a part of the cape in water. If it has been re-dyed then some of the colour will seep out into the water.

Best regards

Craig

Hi Craig, thx a lot for your comments, they were very helpful.
Just 5 minutes ago I followed your advice and soaked a corner of the dark cape into some water. The water immediately turned brown, indicating the cape was re-dyed indeed. Maybe by someone who wanted to give the cape a more rare appearance? This also explains the stains on Luke’s face.

Case closed!

I guess I have to transfer this figure to my custom collection now doh

I was triggered by the fact that the ‘Made in Honk Kong’ and “Hong Kong’ figures were made by different factories. You got any more information about these factories? See also this thread .

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 11:20 am

Going through my collection I found another dark Luke Jedi cloak. This time the dye did not dissolve into water, something which happened last time with the very dark cloak which therefore was identified as a custom (see posts above).

I was wondering what could be the origin of this cloak.

Any ideas guys?

Luke Jedi cloaks: regular, dark, very dark (=custom)
Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! P100925_112940

Luke Jedi cloaks: regular, dark, very dark (=custom)
Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! P100925_115632

Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi guys here's an update for the Luke Jedi capes. I have scored a complete MIHK Luke with the correct cape and confirmed it with MOC examples. It not only darker but also fluffier. I mistakenly thought a big ribbed cape was the MIHK cape as it was slightly darker. This is not true the big ribbed caped seem to belong to the HK COO lukes only.

Anyways here's a reference for all ye collectors:

Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! Capes_10
Back to top Go down
Idefix13
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Idefix13

PostSubject: Re: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Great info (as always) Craig - many thanks!

I always thought there are more than 3 different capes...

Uli
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 4:27 pm

Your very much correct Uli! As Lili Ledy, Maceo, and Top Toys made they own. There may be slight differences in shade in the cape's material as the factories would of probally ordered in batches of material during different times thoughout the years of production.

The above shot covers the more common variants and is there as an illustration of the 3 major factories. Hopefully the shot is clear enough to show relative differences in texture and colour.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Hey Craig,

That was great help, thx!

So the darker fluffier cape is a genuine vintage cape, belonging to a Made in Hong Komg COO Luke Jedi.

Learned somethng again!

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 8:11 pm

Craig T wrote:
Your very much correct Uli! As Lili Ledy, Maceo, and Top Toys made they own. There may be slight differences in shade in the cape's material as the factories would of probally ordered in batches of material during different times thoughout the years of production.

The above shot covers the more common variants and is there as an illustration of the 3 major factories. Hopefully the shot is clear enough to show relative differences in texture and colour.

I thought it might be helpfull to picture the common cape variants with the Lili Ledy capes. The LL capes differ significantly from the Kenner capes both in structure and colour. Check for yourself.

From left to right: 1: Made in Hong Kong cape, 2: Hong Kong cape, 3&4: Lili Ledy capes
Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! IMG_3176

From left to right: 1: Made in Hong Kong cape, 2: Hong Kong cape, 3&4: Lili Ledy capes
Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! IMG_3179
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 10:03 am

Very interesting info here,great work Craig and Dengar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!   Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Luke Jedi Dark Cloaks!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1