The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Empty
PostSubject: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi Folks,

My Luke Jedi guide can be found here:

It hasn't had much of an update in years,I have took a break from collecting to save to get married, buy a house and have a baby.

I am slowly getting back into collecting again and as well as completing my first quest - a mint set of loose figures, I will be updating the Luke Jedi guide.

I am hoping to get better resolution photos in place and also update, correct and share some further info. This will take time but I will be working on it regularly. TIG will always hold a place in my heart so this info and the original guide will continue to be here.

I will use this post to provide any new updates to or open up any new discussion, but as any items get closed-off, I aim to incorporate them (if possible) into the main guide.

Thanks Craig.

Last edited by Craig T on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Blog Update #1 (10/09/2017)

I have taken a group photo of all the different MOC variations I have for Luke Jedi. I count 51 on MOCs alone.

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Collec12

I should have had more, but a few variations (4-5 Tri-logos, POTF and a couple of common MOC) didn't escape the sell-off when I had to get some Nursery Furniture. I plan to replace these variations. I am going to recap on what I have, but I believe I now need just 3 Kenner USA variations to complete the core set.

There are some foreign to USA card backs also in the photo; I will start looking at collecting these seriously once I have the main Kenner focus complete.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 11:21 pm

Shocked that is a whole lotta Luke's. Wow. Look forward to seeing the update to the Luke guide. What made you choose Luke jedi as a focus? Just curios on how it got started. Did you also collect like a loose set of the whole run then start on Luke or was it a decision from the start? I skimmed the pic, but didn't see a ledy card, is that one that is still missing?
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 3:33 am

trappedtexan wrote:
Shocked  What made you choose Luke jedi as a focus? Just curios on how it got started?

I'm guessing because Luke Jedi is the COOLEST VERSION EVER!

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  35902-10

lol!

But seriously, what's not to like? Black on black on black with a green saber!
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 3:50 am

Blog Update #2 (12/09/2017)

Hi Bryan, Matt, thanks for your kind words as always Smile

There's a lot of Luke Jedi MOCs there I know, but every time I see a variation, I try my very best to acquire it for the reference guide. I'm not really crazy! Honest Governor! Wink But, I do want to try to preserve a complete run for current & future generations of vintage collectors to see and use as a guide when buying or collecting their own.

As my first goal, I plan to complete the remaining USA Kenner combinations that I need. Then I would like to move onto “Foreign to USA” variations and see what gap I need to fill there. You correct, I didn’t score a L. Ledy cardback before and I would love to get one if anybody has one for sale Smile

Time passes by very fast indeed. Here are some photos of my collection back in ~2009

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Tig_up16Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Carded10

The photo below showed my loose figures at the time - I was a rookie then, so trusted the combinations sold to me. Looking at the photo now, I can see some blatant errors in what I bought. Wanting to get the correct accessories with the correct COO figure was one of the main reasons why I stopped buying AFA graded figures. AFA say they are an authority; but, they can’t authenticate which weapon variation goes with what COO mould family. You have better experts here that have published their hard work here on this great forum, so that you authentic a listing yourself.

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Loose_10

Details are a little hazy now, but I started actively going for a Luke Jedi Focus in 2009 after stumbling upon a now friend and fellow collector - Shawn K's website (powerofthetoys.com) and seeing a small but beautifully displayed collection of Luke Jedi. I recall seeing all his loose Lukes in little cylindrical cases and the different MOCs on display. I thought to myself that I didn't realise that there were that many!

That was a long time ago and Shawn K's collection is now mightily impressive too!  In the beginning, I had no experience of forums and networking. Shawn was very kind, he helped point me to the Forums and previous research posts and introduce me to another big Luke Focus collector Bob M. (Luke Jedi.info). It has to be said, if it wasn't for Shawn, I would of have never known about the Imperial gunnery, and so I would most probably wouldn't be here now. So for that, I am thankful to Shawn's kindness during that initial stage.  

Luke Jedi was my favourite figure as a child. As Matt points out he's uber cool: A great sculpt, all black, with cool accessories - that green sabre and gun were awesome to me as a kid. (I love the Super Nes artwork too!) So in the very beginning I already had my own Luke from my childhood, a couple of variants and a lovely MOC that I got authenticated graded in Celebration Europe.

I was planning only to collect the loose variants, but as I started tracking the sales and pouring over other people’s posts, I realised that there were multiple MOC versions, some had different packaging, some had different accessories inside and some had subtle changes that I found interesting as they explained how the loose figures evolved. So, I started taking notes of the Figures I saw and I searched for the MOC, that I needed.

One of the major lessons I learned in the beginning was that not only were there multiple variations and accessories, but more importantly only certain accessories went with certain COO figures and also only went certain variations of the that particular COO. Once I realised that there was a need to share my research, I went ahead and started to build my guide.

A lot of friends and fellow collectors have helped me along the way and are still doing so now; I am very grateful for this.

Last edited by Craig T on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 6:51 am

Craigy that's great you're picking the focus and the guide back up. I know when you were taking your break we continued to refer collectors to your guide who were looking for LJ info - it's an invaluable guide!
And wow to that pic of the moc lineup bow so awesome to see.
I'm a fan of the LJ figure too, cool with all the accessory variations and I love the snap cape! Have a few loose variations now but the one that still eludes me is the moulded face version. Will add that one day. As well as the green saber I remember buying a blue saber loose back in 2009/10 from SuperDan I think his name was who had a number of them for sale. Also have a stitch cape in its green card wrapper and two snaps. Yep, it's a cool variant alright.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 9:55 am

Craig T wrote:

Luke Jedi was my favourite figure as a child. As Matt points out he's uber cool: A great sculpt, all black, with cool accessories - that green sabre and gun were awesome to me as a kid. (I love the Super Nes artwork too!) So in the very beginning I already had my own Luke from my childhood, a couple of variants and a lovely MOC that I got authenticated graded in Celebration Europe.

I just noticed that the SNES artwork has him with two real hands and a blue saber. lol!

Totally goes against the black glove and green saber cool factor.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 12:32 pm

Very cool back story Craig. I will keep my eyes peeled for a ledy cardback. Doubt I will see a carded one, haven't seen one in a long time (that I can remember seeing). Shawn's name is familiar and i think i know the website.
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Blog Update #3 (14/02/2018)

Being not on Facebook, both Aussie James and Shawn Kemple contacted me last week to let me know the very sad news that fellow Luke Jedi focus collector, Bob Martinazzi has passed away.

For those that did not know Bob, he was known for having "arguably largest and finest Luke Jedi collection in the world". You can still see his collection on LukeJedi.info, which I am told will be looked after and kept on-line indefinitely in his memory.

Bob was an amazing gentleman; his huge collection was greatly dwarfed by his heart of genuine and charitable nature. Many people will have their own stories of Bob, I always found him to be most friendly, enthusiastic, positive and so helpful. He was even humble enough, after hearing about me from Shawn, to email me directly in 2010 when I just started out collecting Luke Jedi items, offering support and help on my Luke Jedi collection. There was me, a complete nobody (I’m still one), and this mega-collector with everything you could possibly think of, taking the time to drop me an email of support.

Sadly I have been out of serious collecting for a few years with some personal things; also with the recent little guy keeping me busy, I hadn't had the chance to catch-up with either Bob or Shawn, so had I no idea that he was unwell. I wish I had taken the time to drop them both a line. If there's lesson to share with you all, then it's to make sure you stay in touch with friends and family and don't take life for granted; we are only here for a short while.

Below is a treasured piece of my collection. Bob, on finding out that I really wanted to acquire a piece of Luke Jedi pre-production, offered me one of his pair of Luke Jedi pre-production Torso. Last time we talked of the Torsos, it was believed that there’s only three in existence. He told me he didn’t want to profit from friends and worked out a next to nothing price for me for me to pay over a few months and posted it for free. That was man he was.

You can see more of this piece here on his site along with other mind boggling items.

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j10

Last edited by Craig T on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheJabbaWookie
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
TheJabbaWookie

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2018 6:06 pm

That’s very sad news. He has one hell of a Luke Jedi focus and imagine he will be dearly missed.
Back to top Go down
Calrissian_Charm
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Calrissian_Charm

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Craig your dedication to and encyclopedic knowledge of this figure is an inspiration to me cheers
Back to top Go down
TheSchwartz
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
TheSchwartz

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 am

Very Sad news Indeed Craig. I do admire you taking the time to let us know and share some fond memories and experiences you've had with Bob.
Back to top Go down
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Nico

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2018 7:55 pm

Very sad news Craigy, RIP to a legend collector and a true gentleman Sad
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Blog Update #4 (05/03/2018)

The crazy world of vintage star wars prices...

The last two weeks have been very interesting to me as a Luke Jedi focus collector. I have seen many of the much tougher to find Luke Jedi MOCs suddenly appear on the market, some of which, I have not seen on sale/trade since I first started collecting. Why the sudden sell off? I hear myself asking. Have prices started to dip? Are investors cashing out at the peak? If they are, it seems that for every rare MOC holder willing to sell, there are many more eager collectors just waiting in the side lines for an opportunity to become one.

This morning, whilst getting ready for work, I checked-up on what happened last night to a Moulded Head – Snap Cape Luke Jedi MOC that was being auctioned on eBay in the USA:

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j22

I have linked the completed auction Here , but the seller’s photos will eventually disappear into the ether, so here is my specimen:

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Lj_tj_10

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Lj_tj_11

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Lj_tj_12

This particular variation: Made in Taiwan (TJ) Luke with the snap cape neatly folded in a separate baggie behind Luke. It is the very first edition for this factory and so arguably very desirable.

However, I nearly choked on the tea and crumpets that I was having for breakfast when I saw the finish price: $1001.51 (£727). 15 separate bidders were competing on this one - which just goes to show, even though Luke Jedi has departed the movies, there is still huge demand for his vintage figure.

Whether we think this is a fair price or not all depends on the perspective of the buyer! Has he been collecting for a long time, is this the only one that he needs for a complete run? What are the chances of getting another? I personally took a punt that it would go for around $600 - based on current market conditions and rarity. However, looking at the last two separate bids, it appears two people were willing to pay at least $1000 for him and that’s all it takes to escalate a mass produced toy of the 80s to the upper echelons of collecting, where only the wealthiest can afford.

Based on my current research there are at least 7 possible Luke Jedi – Snap Cape combinations (I still need one of them), that could mean someone wanting to get everyone will need to put together up to $7000. The mind boggles…

My worry is if this continues, more and more sophisticated fakes will be worth the making the effort. Aussie James highlighted a Blue Sabre that has the best approximation to the genuine hilt that I have seen, so it is getting harder and harder to see the real deal.

I post some of the other MOC I have spotted and a peculiar baggie next time...

Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 4:09 pm

Blog Update #5 (13/03/2018)

Lost for words...

I was planning on following up on my previous post and showing some more rare MOC that I have seen floating around in the past few weeks; but I just had to bump that straight to the side lines and show off what has to be one of the most magnanimous gestures made to me.

Our hobby, like many high value pursuits, has many people who are in it for the wrong reasons and can at times lower you perceptions of our human race. However, thankfully, exceptionally stellar people come in to your life with nothing to gain for themselves and show you the reasons why you are in this hobby.

Unbeknown to both these gentlemen, I am I am having a tough time in work; my little guy has been unwell, so my wife and I are not getting enough sleep and bunch of other stuff that I won’t go in to.

So imagine the sudden huge smile on my bloodshot teary eyes, when I open an unexpected but neatly wrapped package from Argentina, outside the post office at 7am this morning on the way to work. This little force welding fella was inside.

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j28

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j30

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j27

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j29

It is something that I have wanted for a long time (Here's the proof!), but everyone I saw was either out of my reach or suspect. So, I have been waiting on a loved figure from an original childhood owner to complement my loose Luke Jedi and now I have one.

Words have literally escaped me all day; I have spent most of which looking at it, as it stood proudly on my desk:

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Toptoy11

I still don’t what to say other than a sincere Thank You to both Bryan @trappedtexan and Rodolfo @Fito who both worked together behind the scenes on a great deal that helped each other and meant that I could be sent a truly appreciated surprise.

I will look after it in my Luke Jedi archive until my dying days. cheers

Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 4:52 pm

I am glad it is in a good home and will be appreciated. I want to elaborate a bit on the way this worked out just because really Rodolfo (username is Fito on here) is a super great guy and played a huge part in this.

So a while back Fito put up a sales thread for his childhood figures. Nothing odd about that, people sell things all the time. I had seen Craig post before in a top toys thread and knew he needed and wanted a Luke for his collection. I made mention in the sales thread publicly for him to ask Craig and I don't remember if he told me public or private but said he had contacted Craig already but due to circumstances of life that at this time a deal was unable to be closed on it.

I can not explain why but something told me I needed to acquire this and send it to Craig. For those who are non believers, call it what you will; but for some unknown reason I felt that this figure may bring a joy to Craig when he really needed it.

For the record, I hadn't really spoken to Craig so didn't know he was having problems at work or with a sick child, and i didnt have any thing I owe Craig for, like this was for a payment or something. It was nothing like that. I just felt compelled to get this figure into Craig's hands for some unknown reason. So I ask Rodolfo what it would take to make that happen. I also explain that in no way do I want to benefit from this as I want Craig to get this figure as a surprise and would like to make a deal that can help Rodolfo on his end and Craig on his end. We come to terms that I won't disclose but Rodolfo gave me a heck of a bargain. So I get Craig's address from the secret Santa that I ran and tell Rodolfo to send it to that address please.  I want to say both of these guys are top notch and if anyone needs some top toys ewoks Rodolfo has those left as far as I know, for what if a good price I believe.

Anyway Rodolfo ships this over and it arrives and the rest is history. As far as I know the Luke and cloak are original and appear correct though the cape i believe is slightly altered from production as it now has arm holes and they weren't made this way and Luke's hair I think may be repainted as it appears darker than original, but that stuff is for Craig to figure out.

In the end it has been an awesome experience. Those who know me, know I have given stuff away in the past so that os not necessarily new; but I made a great friend in Rodolfo and helped another friend to have a smile when he needed one. That to me is worth more than my entire collection in my opinion.  I never sat out years ago to make money or profits from collecting, I sat out to make friendships and have unique experiences.
Back to top Go down
Fito
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Fito

PostSubject: Top Toys Jedi Luke   Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 10:16 pm

It is the original Top Toys Jedi Luke. You have my word. Looking at some of my other vintage figures I remember a time when I started destroying some. That´s when I burned Han Solo´s face, broke Hammerhead´s hand... and sent Luke to the coiffeur for a new hair color. Sad Sad Sad
I truly hope you still find it interesting as part of your collection anyways.

Thank you guys for so many nice and kind words. It´s been a pleasure, really.
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks Bryan and Rodolfo for taking the time to reply and share your story with everyone.

I am still in awe of the altruist generosity from both of you. Caviar Dreams and McDonald Pockets should be updated to: McDonald Pockets but a colossal heart of Solid Gold.

He is perfect in every way – he’s an original Toptoys and from the original owner, I know why he has holes in his cape and what the story is with his auburn hair! More important than condition however (to me anyways), is that he a truly appreciated gift; you’ll never know how much this really means to me.

It will be nice one day to get him an original replacement sabre and gun any maybe one of those cool Maestro Jedi card backs. But the cape and figure will be kept together indefinitely along with the little note that brought a very big smile to grey cloud.

I have to admit, my knowledge of non-Kenner Luke Jedi such as this guy is limited, as I have been primarily focused on USA Luke Jedi variants. However the buzz of having him in my hand and wanting to know more has already taken me to Bob’s inspiring work to read up more: (Click Me).
Back to top Go down
TheSchwartz
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
TheSchwartz

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 8:42 am

This is an awesome story and I appreciate it being shared with all of us.

Sometimes when I watch the news, I start losing faith in the human race. Then you read about something as remarkable as this, and you are reminded that there are still great people in it.

Tex and Fito, well done and brilliantly executed, you are true crusaders.

Craig, I am truly sorry to learn of recent hardships. Always remember, the night is darkest just before the dawn. Soon enough, you will be smiling with the sun on your face.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 6:48 am

Hey Craigy, was sad to hear about the passing of Bob. I'm glad to hear his site is going to be kept running.

Kudos to Bryan and Rodolfo for the cool gift to add to your collection cheers The scammers and repro makers of the hobby will always be outweighed by the generosity of its true members. I won't forget the kindness shown to me when my Dad passed away some years back, and a bunch of guys from TIG all banded together to send me some special gifts which I still cherish today.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 10:45 pm

This is awesome. Thanks to everyone involved for sharing the entire story.

There's so many examples of putting others before yourself, but this one definitely takes the cake of recent memory.

Big shout out to @trappedtexan and @Fito for setting this up for @Craig T

Speaking of -- Craig, just keep your head up as best you can. Sometimes we have to go through the ringer to become stronger, and I think that's just what'll happen to you. Stay strong and let me and anyone else know if you need anything.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 10:29 pm

Blog Update #6 (23/03/2018)

Luke Jedi MOC with SKU sticker - another “hard to find” Luke Jedi MOC variation for sale…
Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j31

I was going to talk about this auction along with the Luke Jedi Snape Cape MOC auction that I posted on the 5th March, but my time was limited and then I got totally blown away last week with my awesome Top Toys Luke Jedi present from Bryan & Rodolfo, so I am only now getting round to this blog posting now.

It’s a USA Kenner Made in Taiwan (TJ) Luke Jedi on a 77-A card back. However, the Kenner Product Number for Luke Jedi (No. 70650) printed at the top left corner of the card, has been covered-up by black sticker with the number “71590” printed on it.

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j37

Considering that a Taiwan (TJ) Luke Jedi on a 77 card back is one of the most common Luke Jedi MOCs out there, these SKU sticker versions don’t pop-up that often. I have personally only ever seen 5 Luke Jedi MOC specimens with this SKU change-over sticker since beginning to collect Luke Jedi and then only on a 77-A card back. Let me know, however, if you own or have seen a Luke Jedi with the same SKU sticker on a 77-B, 79-A, 79-B  (or any other card backs) and I will update this blog and give credit to you.

Looking at the completed auction, I was a little surprised on how much it went for (relatively speaking in today’s high price market). It was most probably overlooked by the average “must be mint on a mint card” Joe, as they might not have realised what they were looking at and so I think the buyer had a very good deal there for a quite a hard to find variation.

As with all eBay auctions, the photos will eventually disappear and so I have posted photos of an example of a SKU stickered MOC from of my own collection above and below.

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j32

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j62

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j61

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j60

*** More Info on SKU Stickered Cards in General ***

I have noticed that these SKU stickers have also appeared on other characters too (as well as Luke Jedi), so they did have a purpose. Intrigued to know more, I have carried out my own research to come-up with a plausible reason for their existence...

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j64

The text printed at the top left corner on the front of every figure card back relates to the specific Kenner Product Number for that specific figure/character. The Luke Jedi figure, for example, is 70650. The black number sticker 71590 is always placed over this number. At first glance, one might think that Kenner had updated the old 5 digit number for a new one; after all, they both begin with 7****.

However, I believe this is simply pure coincidence and not the case. There are only 3 differently numbered SKU stickers to be found (i.e. 71580, 71590 and 71600), yet there were 79 characters released by the end of the ROTJ lines – all with unique product numbers. Since there are only 3 different SKU stickers, you can find the same sticker-number combination on a number of different characters’ cards. Below are a number that were for sale by a single seller the other day:

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Yoda_s11Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Vader_14Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Leia_c11Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Jawa_s10Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Han_so18
Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Gg_sku10Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Erg_sk10Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Chewy_10Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  C3po_s10Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Biker_14
Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Tie_fp10

I have noticed, however, that in general, the same bunch of characters always turn-up with the same specific sticker number. This interested me a lot as I have an old copy of the Kenner ToyFair Catalogue from 1984:

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Toyfai10

It is from here, that I learnt that Kenner sold their figures in 3 different assortment boxes – each weighing 5lbs and containing 48 MOCs:

Assortment Number 69570

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Toyfai11

Assortment Number 69590

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Toyfai12

Assortment Number 93630

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Toyfai13

A simple google search for “Product SKU meaning” will bring about a ton of info. I have put a screen grab here of the most popular:

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Sku_de10

So a SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) is normally used by the merchandiser chain to identify a particular item for stock inventory in each of its stores, ROTJ Star Wars Figures for example! Some chains would have lumped a group of characters under one stock bin.

I believe that the 3 SKU stickers are in fact a merchandiser's own internal numbering system to identify figures from each of the three assortment boxes from Kenner. I have no idea why it would want to do this. Maybe it helped automate the stocking/buying process back in the day, but the time and effort required to sticker-over each of the cards' product number suggests to me that a big chain was involved. Maybe the printed product numbers on the front of the cardbacks were causing confusion being 5 digits long, so they had to cover them up.

EDIT: A UPC barcode can actually be seen printed on the reverse of the ROTJ cardback in the photo, but this technology - along with the optical scanners that were required at checkouts to read them, might not have been as widespread in the early 80s as they are is in modern days, so maybe this is why the stickers were used.

What is certain however, is that by the time that The Power of the Force range came on to the scenes, Kenner had updated to the front top left corner of the card back with the following printed material:

• The Character Kenner Product Number = 70650
  • The Kenner Assortment Box Number= 69590
  • The Merchandiser SKU Assortment Number = 71590

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Sku_pr10 

This helps me think that the merchandiser was significant, as Kenner took the liberty to print the SKU number onto the card for them. So in summary, I believe the SKU sticker is nothing more than an alternative/peusdo number for the Assortment box. Question is, who is the merchandiser? Well, I believe it to be no other than KMart - I lost count of the number of times I have seen a SKU MOC with a KMart price sticker somewhere near by.

My punt on what SKU sticker should be placed on what figures:

• Figures from Kenner Assortment Box 69570 ---> SKU = 71580
  • Figures from Kenner Assortment Box 69590 ---> SKU = 71590
  • Figures from Kenner Assortment Box 93630 ---> SKU = 71600

Caveats:

During the years of Star Wars toys, the 3 Assortment boxes would have most probably have been updated to include new figures and older figures switched-out, so you might expect the figure's SKU to be in flux. Nevertheless 3 SKUs definitely appear (to me) to reflect the three assortment boxes available to retailers.

Also, the SKU stickers were applied by hand in mass quantities. It is very much likely that the stickers were applied to the wrong cards at various stages. If something doesn't look right, then one could look at other examples. If a 92-Back POTF release cardback of the figure exists, one could also compare the SKU number printed by Kenner at top left corner and compare that with the Assortment box you expect it to be in from the catalogue.

For Example: Based on the above, I expect a Chewbacca to have an SKU sticker of 71590, however, as can been seen, the SKU sticker applied is 71600. This doesn't make sense, as it is shown in the Kenner Catalogue to be in Assortment Pack 69590. However, if I look at the POTF carded version I can see that Kenner has correctly printed the SKU number as 71590; thus the wrong SKU sticker was applied for this example.

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Chewy_10

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Sku_pr11

Update (11/07/2018)
[color=#ffff00]

I have recently stepped out of my comfort zone and took the plunge to join face book. It's only been a couple of weeks and I have already had the pleasure of meeting some top folks in some of the groups in FB. One of which is Jonathan Robinson.

Jonathan was kind enough to check his SKU MOC collection and found an anomaly in his run:

This is a Princess Leia Boushh 77-B with SKU sticker at the top left corner, but as you can see the retailer was KMart it was Toys R Us. This has dented my theory a little as KMart

and with a Toys R Us price sticker!

... TBC...

Up until now I was convinced that only KMart sold these MOCs with SKU stickers. It looks like we now say that these cards were avail

Last edited by Craig T on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 10:32 pm

@TheSchwartz, @ArtooDetour and @darthmatt22

Guys thank you for your kind words; they too mean a lot. Smile
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 7:57 pm

Blog Update #7 (03/04/2018)

French 65 Back Meccano Luc (Luke Jedi) on a Yan (Han) Solo Cardback Miscard …

A few weeks back, a number of rare Luke Jedi MOCs were put up for sale or auction by different sellers. As what typically happens to me, I wait ages for one of the missing MOCs on my bucket list to turn-up and then they all come at the same time.

I couldn’t go for everyone of them, so I took the decision to go for a few of the really important ones and concentrate all my war chest funds on these. This tactic worked and I have managed score a few. As they arrive, I try to get them photographed and posted as soon as I can…

First up is a French 65 Back Meccano Luc (Luke) Jedi on a Yan (Han) Solo card back - commonly referred to as a Yan Solo Miscard. The SWCA has a small write-up (Click Here!) and there’s some further info from the late Bob Martinazzi on his site LukeJedi.info (Click Here!).

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j65

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j74

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j75

Unfortunately, even though the seller tried to pack safely, the bubble was not correctly cushioned and has received some heavy damage at the base during the journey. The figure is still secure, but only just, so I will have to be very careful with him. I might consider neatly taping the bottom of the bubble to help protect it – but at the moment, he’s lying flat as I am not sure yet what to do.

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j77

There are actually quite a few of these floating around and so it’s not a single one-off miscard error. I get the impression that a batch was deliberately carded this way for some reason. There’s a great book by Stephane Faucourt - Meccano to Trilogo. Inside, Stephane gives one interesting and plausible explanation for Meccano factory originated miscards:

“At the very end of the toy line production, instead of destroying what was left over of the cardback and action figure stock at the French Meccano factory, they (Meccano) tried to use it by matching the cards and action figures as best they could. This strategy would keep wastage to a minimum amount.”

“This all results in a limited number of miscarded figure/card combinations, issued as some kind of intentional production error”

So, could it be that Meccano had a quantity of unused Yan Solo cardbacks and with plenty of Luke Jedi figures still left, decided to use some of them to card up. Interesting is the fact that the lightsabre and cape are never packaged in any of the known examples. He is either packed completely on his own or with his palace blaster and nothing else. The one I have scored has no accessories (i.e. no cape, gun or sabre). Maybe Meccano just packed Luke with a gun so that it was similar in offering to what was provided on a correct Yan Solo card. Maybe when they run out of guns, he was just packed on his own.

Not too long ago I scored a nice, but used, Meccano Luc Card Back. I dream to get a complete MOC one day, but for now I have a nice little starter:

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  Luke_j71

An interesting comparison is the change of logo on the front of the ROTJ  65 cardback between the first 45 back figures and the ROTJ release figures. The backs are both the same, so why change the logo between the first 45 and ROTJ release? Also note the sticker on the bottom of the Luc Cardback. It appears they used a HN Smile NCOO (Made in Macau) Luke Jedi for their figures.

Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 9:56 pm

So this is a fairly common miscarriage then I take it? Sticking to that theory of combining just what's left makes a little sense. But one would think since the factory knew these were mixed up, if done on purpose, then they would have some sort of clearance stickers all over them i would imagine. I mean surely a retailer didn't pay their full cost for these if these were purposely packed with leftovers. Very neat little item. Sucks that the bubble is cracking so badly due to crushing. Wonder if you can create a band of sorts to run around the border of the bubble to support it. Not tape so it doesn't stick but something similar to plastic wrap just the width of the side of the bubble.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next