The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded?   What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 11:15 am

The one on the left also has an extra price sticker placed right on the logo - for many thats going to make them pass on a clean displayable figure.

AFA grading is really down to how well it displays in many cases and if a sticker or mark on the card runs through the card art work or the logo it will lose points.
Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded?   What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 3:56 pm

shawn_k wrote:
That makes sense to me Chris. I seem to remember Tom saying that some more videos were coming, showing how AFA worked on the inside. Even though I don't collect AFA, I would be interested to see the whole process, from figure received to the final encasing.

I will love to see that !!!!! .... but like a reality show!!! ... lol!: lol! lol!

JOE_O" : The one on the left also has an extra price sticker placed right on the logo - for many thats going to make them pass on a clean displayable figure."

Yes you are right, but according to AFA grading procedures , is still the original price sticker and it´s in very good shape!

Like everybody in here, I will really like to know their grading procedures...... the only thing I don´t understand is how on earth somebody misses a SW series with and ESB series?????
Back to top Go down
xiskool
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
xiskool

PostSubject: Re: What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded?   What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 4:12 pm

I wish I had time to address all to points in this thread regarding AFA grading (some unusual theories out there) but will raise a few quick points. First of all, keep in mind AFA is a company that has evolved over time. They have not always been under the same ownership and have taken on some radical changes over the years. I think most people who submit on a regular basis would agree that they have become more strict over time. From what I can gather from my conversations, this seems to be a direct correlation with improved grading procedures. For example, I know that an item is not seen by just one grader, there are different tiers of graders and strict processes of review that an item must go through to obtain a final grade. Also, they purposely do not hire toy collectors or people with any interest in the items they are grading to try to eliminate emotional subjectivity. I think with all the new and improved procedures you will start to see a lot more consistency, I know I have with my submissions over the past year. Mistakes still happen, so I scrutinize every piece but even more so with an item graded more than a year or two ago.

To answer the original question.. I agree with most, an 80 will usually cost about the same as an ungraded item in similar condition. The premium for AFA-graded pieces seems to kick in around 85 unless it is a really rare piece, then an 80 will also command a premium. I also have seen many cases where a beautiful piece that is an 85 with an 80 sub will often be treated like an overall 80 because of that one sub. Even if a figure grade is pulled down to an 80 because of a loose weapon or tape inside the bubble! I won't even address the u-grade phenomenon, that is a whole other level of craziness!

-chris
Back to top Go down
xiskool
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
xiskool

PostSubject: Re: What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded?   What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 4:16 pm

PS - Regarding the 3 graded MOC.. I think I can see why they received those subs for the cards.. The 1st has a torn hanger (hence the 75), the 2nd has a price sticker that is a little distracting and the 3rd has no visible issues from the photos. I would not have any problems with these grades if I submitted those items, they seem perfectly legitimate, at least looking at photos from a few feet back.

I know others have stated similar points but wanted to weigh in.. : )

-chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded?   What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What AFA grade , to you, is the equal of buying something ungraded?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2