The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The official Raffle crying and bitching thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  Empty
PostSubject: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 9:20 pm

Just kidding, but it got you to click the thread Smile lol!

So, I'd like to head from the vets and the new members about finding a solid process if we do more of these. Obviously we want to entice newer members to be a part of the group (we were all single post members at some point) but also give respect where it's due to long time members and frequent posters who are the lifeblood of the forum.

So, please give your thoughts,, idea, suggestions, etc. here and let's see if the solution can be found.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 9:24 pm

My personal thought would be sort of like going to Disney and having the express lane.

Two groups

Over 25 posts
Under 25 posts

When a raffle is announced, the over 25 line can advance for 48hrs. While they fill up the raffle the under 25 queue up waiting to take seats. After 48 hours the queue of under 25 folks fill up the spots and we run it.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 10:07 pm

My opinion is we want to encourage new guys to create an account and stay around. Does saying you have to wait in line do that? Not really in my mind.

I think instead we make a few limits.
If it is the same as this one where you can go a max of five spots per person we do this:
0-50 posts you may have 1 spot
50-500 posts you may have up to 3 spots
500+ posts you can have 5 spots

To me this rewards new guys by allowing them participation, rewards daily guys by allowing them lots of spots, and rewards our old guys and big posters by letting them get the most spots.

That's just an idea, we want to keep things fair and we want feedback so if you guys think something different let us know.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2017 10:26 pm

That's interesting, a tier system.

Devil's advocate, if 50 new people get here first in a 50 person raffle vets still get boxed out.

Maybe we have a reserve section for top tier people? Like in 50 spots we hold 15 spots for a time before releasing the spots?

Or....maybe advanced notice to veteran members?
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2017 12:17 am

We've had many 'open' raffles & ones for 'existing' members only. It has never been an issue ( just the recent one sold out quickly!!) Raffle rules are always clearly stated before money exchanges hands. 1 spot for everyone initially, then say after a few days if spots are available people can buy more. IF new members get all the spots, obviously the 'old members' are just too slow.... Razz One week 'warning' before tickets become available. Job done. So when is the next raffle?
Back to top Go down
Jawa197
New User
New User
Jawa197

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2017 1:04 pm

I'll throw my opinion in there for what it's worth as a long time collector but new to this group. I'm not going to enter every raffle that gets offered. Some people might, depending on their finances, but I would enter if I have the funds and if the prize(s) offered are appealing to me.

I think if you start offering more spots to people with more posts it could discourage people from hanging around and ultimately being active and posting. On the other hand, this isn't a "raffle group" either. It's about collecting and sharing our collections, information, opinions and experiences.

I also feel that offering more spots to the big posters kind of skews the results in favor of those people. But so does the amount of money you have available to buy spots. So is there a difference? Maybe, maybe not. Just putting it out there. I do like the idea of capping the number of spots to a certain amount so it is fair for everyone.

I'm not saying any of the ideas thrown out so far are bad. I know it's not easy to make it fair for everyone all the time.
Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2017 3:34 pm

im in for 2 cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2017 7:50 pm

I have to ask... was the paypal information and instructions always included in the original post that advertised the most recent raffle? I'm almost certain we were only gauging interest and *assumed* that an email or PM would be sent to those who reserved spots once the raffle was full - asking for payment, a payment due date, and a date the raffle was to occur.  unsure

*edit*
Seems like there were a few people who asked to reserve spots and their names were not in the final tally... which leads me to believe that I wasn't the only person left in the dark on this one - I understand an update was made (now that I'm reading through the original raffle thread) but if someone expressed interest, please in the future send out a PM or email that explains the raffle is going live and payment needs to be turned in by such and such date to officially secure the spot.  What a Face

As for limiting entries based on post count or seniority... I don't think those things should matter. First come, first serve. We're all adults with a similar interest. If a global email goes out announcing the contest..... that communication should be enough to level the playing field.

Last edited by Mike_Z on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Section 8
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Section 8

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2017 8:24 pm

Simple solution is to not limit the amount of spots. You can still limit individual ticket amounts, but if there were more spots, then no one would have to miss out or have post limit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.familytreeman.co.uk
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Section 8 wrote:
Simple solution is to not limit the amount of spots. You can still limit individual ticket amounts, but if there were more spots, then no one would have to miss out or have post limit.

I believe the spots are limited to avoid raising $2,000 for $500 worth of merchandise. That (at least to me) would come off as very shady.... unless the raffle proceeds that exceed the value of the merchandise are donated to a charity and all of this is communicated from the start.

...or... if the merchandise is valued at $500.... sell 500 $1 entries (and still cap the individual ticket amounts)... that too would give more folks a chance, but reduce the overall odds of winning.
Back to top Go down
Section 8
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Section 8

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 5:08 am

MikeZ "I believe the spots are limited to avoid raising $2,000 for $500 worth of merchandise. That (at least to me) would come off as very shady.... unless the raffle proceeds that exceed the value of the merchandise are donated to a charity and all of this is communicated from the start."

All the more incentive to buy a ticket if your contributing to charity, rather than just the raffle runners pocket.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 6:45 am

Mike hit it on the head with the reason for a limited number of tickets but let me toss this in too, it's to give you a statistically better chance too. We try to do raffles where the odds are good. I could raffle off a $3000 MOC by offering 300 spots @ $10 each but 1 in 300 isn't really an enticement to a lot of people. But 1 in 20? 1 in 15? That's not too shabby.

Perhaps we could have X amount of spots and, once filled, give 24hrs to jump in with the extra money going to charity. That was the raffle prizes are properly valued?

Sake of argument, imagine in this last raffle we did this. The 50 people get their spot, then 10 last minute entries jump in. We take that extra $100 and donate it. The only issue would be the 50 people who had a 3 in 50 chances of a winning any prize (their were three) could see the odds move to 3 in 20. Not a massive sway, but what if it went to 3 in 80 or 3 in 100. Would it be fair that their odds increased? Or do we set a limit on last minute entries?

@Mike_Z - You noticed it, but the "official" opening of the raffle overlooked the previous people. I spoke to Coach about it too. Innocent mistake but nevertheless apologies to you and anyone else who got overlooked (@Section 8).
Back to top Go down
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 1:35 pm

My thoughts...

I joined up a few years ago, lurked around but when you had the raffle with the Revenge cardback and Kellerman book the rule of 25 posts got me more active. I went from a lurker to a regular member... I know that I haven't posted as much the past several months (finished grad school, getting into a counseling job, haven't collected as much as I'd like) but the 25 over (posts) was perfect for me. I got into the raffle the other day, I was fine but I then Section 8 totally missed out after saying he wanted in early, I chimed in agreeing 100% with him. I would have felt the same way.

Ultimately, it's either up to Berizing or the person holding the raffle (unless it's taking advantage of people).
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
Bazzack
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 2:25 pm

aussiejames wrote:
We've had many 'open' raffles & ones for 'existing' members only.   It has never been an issue  ( just the recent one sold out quickly!!)  Raffle rules are always clearly stated before money exchanges hands.  1 spot for everyone initially, then say after a few days if spots are available people can buy more.   IF new members get all the spots, obviously the 'old members' are just too slow.... Razz   One week 'warning' before tickets become available.  Job done.   So when is the next raffle?
Aussies and Kiwis don't always see eye to eye, but I do like this approach. Nice and simple.
Just make sure that those on the interest list get a ticket allocated, and a notification that they need to cough up the funds within a day or 2 to keep it.

p.s. Section_8 did get a ticket in the last raffle if you check the ticket list Wink
Back to top Go down
Section 8
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Section 8

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 5:15 pm

:scratch:

In that case I owe someone (Bassack??) a ticket for the next raffle & a big thank you. I've even watched the video and was none the wiser. lol!

I didn't intend to create such fuss. Just felt like a bit of an injustice had occurred. Now TIG will have to right up a manifesto for future raffles. tongue

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The official Raffle crying and bitching thread    The official Raffle crying and bitching thread  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The official Raffle crying and bitching thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1