The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Decipher
New User
New User
Decipher

Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? Empty
PostSubject: Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber?   Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Hi all,
Pretty new to collecting and trying to get a grip on this whole original/repro lightsaber subject.

I was sold a Hong Kong COO Ben Kenobi with a 100% original lightsaber (according to seller). I normally trust this seller, but I am not so sure about this one.

First of all, the lightsaber looks brand new. Not a hint of wear, whereas the Ben figure has some overall paintwear.

Second, I have a lettered blue lightsaber to compare with. The lettered lightsaber has a break mark on top of the saber. The new one doesn't have that.

I've uploaded some pictures of both the lettered lightsaber and the new one so that you can see what I mean. Could you guys help me out on this one? Thanks!

Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? 1

Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? 2

Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? 3

Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? 4
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber?   Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Welcome to TIG welcome

I think some sabers are really tricky to Id as genuine or repro. It doesn't help that some originals float and some sink. Yours doesn't scream repro to me, and it doesn't match the repros we have documented.

Looking at the guide http://www.imperialgunnery.com/lightsaberssection.htm the Ben V3 for example, I can see there are a couple of original sabers that appear to have a break point on the back of the handle like yours.

Also, lettered sabers are considered earlier versions so will differ to later versions.
Sorry I can't be more specific, hopefully others will chime in with thoughts.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber?   Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 7:02 pm

Welcome to the forum Artoo pretty much said everything I was thinking the float test is the one thing that is tricky with lots of vintage weapons not all float, The colour looks good there is the scratch test to determine if it is painted find a obscure area and give it a little scratch.
Back to top Go down
Decipher
New User
New User
Decipher

PostSubject: Re: Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber?   Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 4:09 am

Thanks for the welcoming and thank you for the replies!

Well, it's definitely not painted. It sinks in water, but so does the lettered lightsaber I have, so apparently the float test is not a reliable method to test vintage lightsabers, just like you said.

I guess this lightsaber most probably is the real deal after all. It just seemed to good to be true!

I'm glad I asked you guys first before starting to accuse the poor seller for selling repro crap as original vintage. Smile Thanks!
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber?   Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 3:42 pm

You're welcome. Thanks for posting! It's good to have your pictures here for future refernce in case any others show up.
I'll also move this thread to our reference and library section.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber?   Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 12:11 am

I would've been skeptical as well.

That's a really nice saber condition!

And helpful comparison pictures.
Back to top Go down
beachboy19
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
beachboy19

PostSubject: Re: Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber?   Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 11:44 am

Hi guys. I'm new to the forums but wanted to chime in. In no way am I an expert like you all (I'm still getting caught up with all the reference guides), but I wanted to point out this seller on ebay: toyaccessories . He has 3 vintage repro telescoping sabers that are really hard to tell from original ones. I don't know if your Kenobi saber is one of these or an original but I think you all should take a look at this guy's repro sabers. They are way more convincing than those resin ones sold by bluesnagman. Thought I would add to the discussion because I am learning too.

I had been burned on ebay earlier this year until I found this website. The reference guides have literally saved me thousands by being able to spot fakes. Some people are legitimately duped when they buy a figure and then resell it without knowing. But others are so dishonest.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber?   Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 9:50 pm

There are so many sellers on eBay that you have to watch out for. Even the way they word their description, or take their pictures (really? fuzzy pictures in 2015? can't take the time to take better ones?) can draw a red flag and just make me not even want to bother.

Thanks for the heads up on that specific seller! :clap:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber?   Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Repro or Original Ben Kenobi lightsaber?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1