The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RemembranceCCF
New User
New User

Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help Empty
PostSubject: Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help   Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 5:17 pm

Right, so recently my friend purchased an original farmboy Luke at a local toy fair for me. The lightsaber it came with however has confused me quite a bit. It's a flat transition with a flat tip.
It's the cleanest  saber I've ever seen, its tip almost completely straight veering slightly to the left, and there are no letters on the handle. Comparing it to my original Vader flat transition saber, both have sprew in the same spot, both seem so be shaped the same with lines on top, and both have similar lines on the handle when shone under a light. Both also seem to bounce and sound the same when dropped, and when put into water, the Luke saber floats when place on top, and floats back up when submerged. It is also quite smooth, and glows under light.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Ben

Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help 110
Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help 210
Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help 610
Back to top Go down
iceworm
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help   Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 12:50 pm

I would go to bed fairly certain you are holding a Repo. However, I am no expert on vintage LS or the Farm Boy Luke yellow LS. So, if the experts chime in...go with them.

1. I am pretty confident the faded Darth Vader LS is legit. Hard to duplicate fading. (However, nothing surprises me.)

My overlay points out three differences. Yes, more differences exist, but three is enough for me.

Darth Vreenak
Attachments
610Overlay.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(309 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help   Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 11:24 pm

Authenticating sabers is getting very difficult. The 'difference' in length could be due to the angle the picture was taken? The sprue point and slightly tapered transition seem OK unsure
Back to top Go down
RemembranceCCF
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help   Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 8:43 pm

Thank you both very much for your replies. The overlay issue is indeed wonky perspective, as when placed next to each other they are of equal length. The Vader saber as I mentioned is indeed vintage as it belonged to my uncle since the 70's. As for the transition and sprew analysis, I appreciate the information that this could indeed be real. Thank you for your responses and I hope to continue supporting the forum.
Respectfully,
-Ben
Back to top Go down
Vesuvius
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help   Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 4:30 pm

Indeed, that appears to be a repo.

I have 2 Luke farmboy LS (that are 40yrs old), and they have a different shaped handle than the pic that you posted.  They are also a near identical length to my Vader LS and 2 Obi Wan LS (again 40yrs old).

Generally if it appears overtly new and shiny it probably is a repo.  Also, if you are buying from ebay be very careful.  Some sellers will say "vintage" but upon further examination are repos.  

IG has a thread devoted to real v repos, it is of great value-
Back to top Go down
RemembranceCCF
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help   Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 3:41 am

So after some more searching, I've finally found a near exact match in appearance to my lightsaber in the form of an eBay auction from December 2017, which I will link here. The auction itself claims the lightsaber to be an original, and the seller has not been mentioned on the forums here before. Hope this somewhat helps in identification. Thank you all once again.

Lightsaber Match
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help   Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possible Repro Lightsaber? Please Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1