The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Reproduction card kits on ebay

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

Reproduction card kits on ebay Empty
PostSubject: Reproduction card kits on ebay   Reproduction card kits on ebay I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 5:35 am

I don't usually say these recard kits are good enough to fool people but unfortunately these really do look rather good (good in the sense that they look a pretty close to real Sad )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/leigh120768/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

If you check out the figure kits with bubble trays/inserts you can see these have been professionally produced, reminds me of this guy that had a machine to make all his bubbles perfect (read more here - http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=vintageebay&Number=3892496 )

Ultimately it's going to come down to how well these are sealed as to whether or not they are easily detectable after the figures are inside, hopefully whoever buys them fucks that up..but to play devils advocate - if someone used that waffle seal pattern trick that the guys on FFURG know how to do ( http://www.ffurg.com/FForums/index.php?showtopic=2823 ) and weathered these well made kits a little (price tags, dirt or a few creases here and there) we might have a bit of a problem.

No doubt that when in hand these things are going to raise alarm bells (especially some of the colours of the cards) but I just hate seeing this stuff on ebay, those Palitoy shite looking recards the other month fooled a few collectors and they didn't look as good as these Sad
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction card kits on ebay   Reproduction card kits on ebay I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 5:43 am

Hi hate all this recard and repro, thanks for the warning Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomse2001.dk
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction card kits on ebay   Reproduction card kits on ebay I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 11:14 am

Your not joking Joe, those do look scary as hell. Well, gives me another reason why not to buy vintage MOCs on Ebay anymore and only from a trusted source. Hell, I'll buy modern from now on out lol! . At least I know no one is stupid enough to recard a $2 figure, I hope anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
scovell001
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction card kits on ebay   Reproduction card kits on ebay I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 4:08 am

If someone would like to buy a Nikto or Leia Poncho & send it to me, I could scan & post against my original cards.

In short, its all to do with the halftone dot.

If these re-cards have been reproduced by scanning original cards, they 'should' be slightly blurred compared to an original card. This is because the original card was litho printed & will have a halftone (the image is made of dots if looked at under a magnifying glass). In order to remove this, there would have been a slight blurring added at the scanning stage.

If the repro card when examined has no 'dot' to speak of, it has more than likely been printed on a laser printer. It would then (in theory) be easy-ish to pull the card apart as the teflon in the fuser oil of a laser printer doesn't react that well with glue. However, they could have been printed on adhesive label stock. Even so, a laser printer print would have an ever so slightly waxy finish to it, and either 'no' halftone or, a blurred halftone.

If these are litho-printed/digital press printed (in large quantities), then a half-tone would be present, however there would still be a certain amount of blur/detail loss compared to an original card. This is based on the theory above, that an original card had been scanned.

As stated above, you'd need to see one & compare to an original to be sure.

If someone else wants to spend £7, I'd be happy to investigate..............
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reproduction card kits on ebay   Reproduction card kits on ebay I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reproduction card kits on ebay

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1