The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Airfix introduce LIDAR scanning to their future kits - could they also re-create their old kits?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

Airfix introduce LIDAR scanning to their future kits - could they also re-create their old kits? Empty
PostSubject: Airfix introduce LIDAR scanning to their future kits - could they also re-create their old kits?   Airfix introduce LIDAR scanning to their future kits - could they also re-create their old kits? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 5:42 am

Not cureently SW-related (even though Airfix did produce SW kits back in the day) but I was reading on how Airfix will be introducing LIDAR scanning to next year's models (2015).

LIDAR uses light and radar technology to scan a fullsize object then reproduce it as a high-def 3D computer image. This will replace the present technology of using blueprints and photos on which to base their models upon.

From what I've read this is different to 3D printing.

IPMS Scale Modelworld Announcement

The story in the newsletter link above about the scanning of the WWII German Heinkell plane found crashed in Norway is interesting as Airfix designers were able to create a more accurate model than their original drawings showed.

They also made scans of the only surviving example of a WWII Defiant interceptor plane, and also Sea King helicopters due to their existing model and tooling degrading.

I don't know much about this technology, but I wonder if it's possible to scan something much smaller, say, a Kenner Millenium Falcon, or even the ones Airfix used to produce, and make a new mould based exactly on the originals thinking

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

Airfix introduce LIDAR scanning to their future kits - could they also re-create their old kits? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airfix introduce LIDAR scanning to their future kits - could they also re-create their old kits?   Airfix introduce LIDAR scanning to their future kits - could they also re-create their old kits? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Very cool this should bump Airfix up to be in line with companies like Trumpeter most of the Airfix kits were not super detailed they were good but not great. I will definitely grab one of these to see how this new process looks. I think with this new way they should have no issue in doing any type of scan regardless of size if enough people show an interests it may just happen.
Back to top Go down

Airfix introduce LIDAR scanning to their future kits - could they also re-create their old kits?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1