The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheJabbaWookie
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
TheJabbaWookie

The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Empty
PostSubject: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 8:27 am

Well after 20 years of collecting on and off I think I have finally gone and done it - completed the line.

The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle was completed last week when I got my hands on my very own R2D2 pop up lightsaber. Well chuffed if it's totally 100% bonified real.

It turned up in the post today and looks the genuine article to me having compared it to photos on TIG. But having never owned one, seen one or felt one before I admit to having no real experience with this one.

So I wondered if there were any experts out there who could confirm it's authenticity from the photos I'm posting. I was thinking of sending it off to UKG but I don't think it'll make the grade and I don't want it graded anyway, just verified.

So any help would be massively appreciated. It's be great to have finally done it.

Cheers in anticipation
Jay
The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Img_6311
The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Img_6312
The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Img_6310
The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Img_6313
The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Img_6314
The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Img_6316
The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Img_6315
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 10:20 am

Hey Jay,

I had a similar issue awhile ago with the pop-up saber. Luckily, here at TIG we solve problems!

Here's a link to my thread: http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t8199-r2d2-pop-up-saber-help

Check out the pictures and comments and let me know what you think, because from the looks of it with the pictures provided, I think you're in the clear. I can see the EPM and it doesn't look like it's painted.

But maybe run through the tests?

-Float
-Light
-Scratch
-Flexibility

etc.

Back to top Go down
TheJabbaWookie
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
TheJabbaWookie

PostSubject: Re: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 10:49 am

Hi thanks for the link. Funnily enough I was just reading a lot of threads including yours and one from Snaggletooth. Very insightful.

- So I've done the float test. It floats on the surface and then sinks when tapped under. Pics attached.
- I'm pretty sure it's  made of green plastic and not painted, I've tried scratching and nothing comes off though I read Frank hacked at his to find out it was painted
- it looks the same colour as the POTF ones on the TIG site
- it bends a tiny amount but not much and I would say is not particularly flexible

So seems good on the face of it. I read a lot about length. Anyone got the correct size in mm for a POTF saber?
The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Img_6318The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Img_6317
Back to top Go down
Broke
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Broke

PostSubject: Re: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 11:21 am

If you got this on Ebay I think I was bidding against you and probably ran the price up. I wish we could coordinate this stuff. Very Happy

I still need one.
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Firstly Congratulations!

I have a long way to go before I get a complete set again, but there were a few figures from my old complete set that thankfully I didn't get round to selling.

They are R2 Pop-up Sabres:

I posted some photos below - I am 100% certain that you have the real deal there. Well Done!!!! Cool Cool Cool

Measurement against my trusty Ruler:

The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Measur10

Wow, I didn't release how shiny my R2 was... good job I wasn't naked... that would of ruined everybody weekend! If you look closely, you can see the circle on the hilt. It's only on one side of the hilt.

The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Two_sa10

The Droids version that I own came from a graded AFA MOC, but during postage back to the UK, the bubble broke into pieces, I had that way for a while, but opened the case and cut the R2 out... I think to sell, but never got round to it.

The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Droids13

Comparisons of Sabres from my Droids R2, POTF/Tri-logo R2,  and two known fake specimens that I bought for reference.

The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber 2real210

Back to top Go down
TheJabbaWookie
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
TheJabbaWookie

PostSubject: Re: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Thanks for your kind words. Yes I'll be well chuffed if it's the real deal and I've completed the run, it's certainly looking promising. Thanks also For the great pics, especially the one with the ruler. I'll be measuring mine first thing in the morning (LOL, ooh err missus). Razz
Back to top Go down
TheJabbaWookie
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
TheJabbaWookie

PostSubject: Re: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 10:46 am

Well I've measured my lightsaber and I'd say snap. Looks like 38mm is the magic number!
The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber Img_6319
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Congrats on finishing the line. I believe this is an authentic saber and based upon craig's post I would say there is enough to say it is authentic. It matches his in every way. So now that the lineup is done, what's next? Droids and ewoks? Variants?
Back to top Go down
TheJabbaWookie
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
TheJabbaWookie

PostSubject: Re: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks Bryan. No rest for the wicked. There's a couple in the collection need upgrading and I'm pretty certain I have a Repro Ben Kenobi saber that needs replacing. Next in line is building a suitable cabinet to house them all - promise photos once it's done.

Recently I've been getting into the Spanish line. Reading Javi's book has only got me more interested. I think I have a Poch Death Squad Commander and deffo have a PBP Hammerhead, Snaggletooth, Dengar and awesome Han Solo (my pride and joy). Be looking to build on that...

Jay
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 2:32 pm

Jay,

Congrats on the saber AND finishing the line! I think we were at the finish line around the same time.

I have no idea where I'm going from here, but that's what excites me the most.
Back to top Go down
TheJabbaWookie
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
TheJabbaWookie

PostSubject: Re: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 5:34 pm

So true. When I read about some of the guys collections and collecting experiences on the forum I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.
Back to top Go down
mat8yr
Developer
Developer
mat8yr

PostSubject: Re: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2017 12:35 pm

congrats! cheers I concur with others on this thread, given your images and description of it's properties your saber looks to be an original Kenner produced (ie not Glasslite etc..) POTF (ie not Droids line) saber variant with EPM (ie not the floating, lighter POTF without EPM) , and yes, your variant should sink when submerged in water. So once again! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber   The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The final piece in the jigsaw puzzle - help needed to verify pop-up lightsaber

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1