The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story Empty
PostSubject: Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story   Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2017 8:09 am

Bill’s lovely story about his magnanimous friend and a little Mexican fella called Bib inspired me to share my own recent little story…

Return of my Early Bird DT Luke

After many years of trying and then giving-up after being told we couldn’t, we suddenly found out that my wife was due to have a baby. It was the best news ever! But with all our savings exhausted, we had to urgently raise cash for all the stuff we needed. So my old Star Wars room was converted into a beautiful nursery and vast swathes of my collection were sold – it was sad to see them go but we wanted a baby more than anything.

I sold loads, including nigh on most of my rare items such as my mailers, my entire POTF coins, proof sheets and some Luke Jedi MOC. I haven’t regretted that decision one bit. But towards the end, when I already had enough money, I ended-up selling my prized DT Luke, my Blue Snaggletooth, and my Vinyl Cape Jawa – these 3 figures were bought by me before I had the internet. Back then, my only guide was my trusty Steve Sandsweet’s Concept to Collectable book. I was still a kid in school and my only source of income was a morning paper round and a few hours on a Saturday taking orders and washing dishes in a little burger restaurant.

The lady (Wendy, at the ToyLoft), from whom I bought Luke and Snag used to run adverts in the Star Wars Magazine. She was very kind and allowed me pay in instalments. It took months and months for me to buy them, but when I had finally paid enough for them, they were my prized pieces; they stood proud only display and I even took them to school to show everyone.  
I am not sure why I sold them, but I regretted it straight away. I contacted the dealer to ask if I could buy them back, but they were already sold-on. Looking at his eBay sells, I could see that he made back all his money back on my Vinyl Jawa alone. I never saw the others go for sale and assumed he already has a buyer waiting. The dealer is actually a really nice guy and I can’t blame him for doing his job well.
It’s nearly coming to 2 years since I started to self-off my old collection and as our outgoings have become a little less expensive to handle, I recently decided to try and get back into the hobby and rebuild my loose figure collection as a start.

I couldn’t believe my eyes browsing through eBay 2 weeks ago; I was window shopping at the rarer figures, when I saw a little chap that had the same paint ops markings as my old DT Luke. When you have your figure for that long, you know where all the knocks and bumps are, when the paint didn’t quite cover the limbs or mouldings.

It would have been nigh on impossible to prove 100% that he was the one, but for the fact the new owner had not released the figure from the AFA case (I had them graded so I could get them verified by Tom Derby).  I quickly grabbed my phone and scrolled back though the photos looking for the last photo of the DT Luke… I had the reference number and could just make out his reference number in the auction phot - it was my old Luke!

I called my wife over to tell her, she asked me if I was sure it was mine and I nodded; without hesitation said get him back. I am not really a fan of AFA these days, but even I had to admit if it wasn’t for the fact that it was encased with the serial number, I would have never been able to 100% confirm it.
So, with great anticipation, I waited for what felt like an eternity to receive the figure in the post. It arrived whilst I was in work, so my wife rang me. I was so excited when it arrived, I asked my wife to unpack it live on Face Time whilst I was still in the office. Its brilliant to get him back, but it cost me an extra £1200 on top of what I sold it for to do so. The seller’s best offer price was £1800, but I think if he knew it was originally mine I could imagine him wanting more. It is crazy how prices have suddenly rocketed.
My next quest to try and get back my old Blue Snaggletooth and VC Jawa, but I can wait patiently I have their AFA serial numbers and they are out there somewhere.

Photos:

Wendy’s Toyloft advert as in the Star Wars Magazine and Price List – I used to nag her to post me these! Notice – I had marked up the figure I wanted.

[/b]
Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story Toylof12 Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story Toylof11 Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story Toylof10

My three figures ready to sell  (but luckily for me, I captured the AFA serial number)

Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story Figure10

Ebay Seller photo – I recognised the figure straight away, but I could also just make out the AFA number.

Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story Luke_d10 Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story Luke_d11 Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story Luke_d12

My Luke Back home...

Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story Dt_luk10

… do you have a little story to tell collecting wise? Why you don’t you share it with us? It would be great to read yours and you can write about anything!

Last edited by Craig T on Thu May 09, 2019 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Broke
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Broke

PostSubject: Re: Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story   Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2017 10:05 am

Every Star Wars item I owned for my children is a trade I would make 100000 times again and again. You did the right thing. I just want you to know that. Don't ever second guess that decision. There will always be more Blue snags, or POTF coins, etc. But there will never be a replacement for a child.

And congrats on getting your Luke back. That's truly just a stroke of blind luck. Keep checking and I bet you end up with more eventually.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story   Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2017 4:55 pm

WOW, that is such an awesome story. I had to sell my two glasslite vlix figures and though at the time I just wanted to pay credit cards off and have a bit of savings I struggled with the decision to sell them. I am ultimately ok that I made the decision now though. I will likely never own another and honestly now that I had them in hand and sold them I don't miss them that much. They didn't hold sentimental value for me. My wicket from childhood on the other hand will be buried with me if I have my say so. lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story   Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 4:30 am

what an amazing story !! im glad I was able to somewhat influence you to share this . its funny how truly valuable these things become to us collectors . im gladto hear things worked out having a baby and getting this luke back is just an amazing part of the whole process for you . im sure he will be willed to your child as well . thanks for the share cheers
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story   Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 4:07 am

Thanks for your comment guys. For definite - I will be willing this to my son when he is old enough. I uploaded a photo of my Luke home safe next to my son's other heirloom - his Great, Great, Granddad's Clock.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story   Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 8:43 am

A great story. That's amazing to think that that Luke has made such a journey and come back to you, thanks as well to an AFA number!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story   Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Early Bird DT Luke, Another Star Wars Story

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1