The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A little Star Wars Story

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

A little Star Wars Story Empty
PostSubject: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 9:48 am

Last year September I bought a set of around 30 vintage figures from a dutch guy, it was one of my first purchases after my decision to collect Star Wars. It was this guy’s entire childhood collection and since he had stopped playing with it, he had kept the figures in a biscuit tin for many years. Lucky me, the figures were still remarkable mint and a really good bargain. This guy must have played very carefully with his toys when he was a child. But that is not the thing I want to tell here. Together with the figures came this envelope.

A little Star Wars Story P100925_121439

Inside there were 3 pieces of paper on which proofs of purchase were carefully taped upon. I briefly looked at them without paying too much attention and did not even border to take them out of their paper shelter. I put the envelope aside on a small pile of other Star Wars related paper work, back in my cabinet.

A little Star Wars Story P100925_120950

This weekend I went through the pile to look for the instructions of a mini-rig (found!) and came across the envelope again. This time I took everything out and I saw that there was more paperwork inside. A letter from Kenner Benelux. I started reading …..

A little Star Wars Story P100925_121204

Dear Star Wars fan,

As you see, we have returned your request for a Darth Vader collector’s case, together with the 25 proofs of purchase and the included fee for stamps.

Unfortunately we have to inform you that the collector’s case is no longer available. We have tried to buy new collector’s cases but they are not being produced anymore.

It is not nice to disappoint you yet we hope that you can make a choice from the other available bounties.

Kenner Parker Benelux.

The letter was not dated. However it must have been posted probably in 1985 (or later?), as the Imperial Gunner proof of purchase was included. There was also a standard letter for the dutch and belgium market summarizing the mail away offers which were still available. Sorry seems to be the hardest word, also for Kenner.

A little Star Wars Story P100925_121324

A small childhood drama started to emerge in my imagination. I saw a little boy who had patiently collected all those many name tags during the past years. Harsh years where he had successfully resisted the temptations of the cheaper mail-away offers which were available in the Netherlands at that time, like Boba Fett, Nien Nunb, Teebo (offers which I could not resist when I was young, and therefore I never owned a collector’s case at that time Very Happy ).
One day after buying Imperial Gunner he was finally in reach of what he desired the most, his precious Darth Vader collector’s case, that would be suitable to store his entire collection. After his mom had sent the proofs of purchase, a long period of waiting started. Weeks went by, and there was not a single day he forgot to ask his mom whether a package had arrived from Kenner just after arrival from school, Till that one day, he asked and saw that expression on his mother’s face, while she firmly held a letter in her hand, a horrifying image he could never let loose again….The letter you have just read.

Apparently the little boy was so disappointed he did not even consider obtaining some of the alternative mail-aways anymore. Instead he decided to burry his grief together with the proofs of purchases, the Kenner letters and his entire collection of loose figures in a biscuit tin at the attic, where it fell into oblivion. Even the guy himself probably did not remember any more when he decided to sell the biscuit tin with its entire contents.

But now I knew and I could not remain ignorant. I did something today which should have been done 25 years earlier. I decided to give this little boy's collection finally its entitled home, so the figures can rest in peace now, and hopefully help release that little boy’s grief locked up into a biscuit tin in a galaxy far away. Very Happy

A little Star Wars Story P100926_112122

A little Star Wars Story P100926_112649

END of story (it really happened)

BTW: I remember that Klaatu (Skiff), Teebo, the survival kit, and Biker Scout laser pistol were offered as mail aways when I was a kid. I don’t remember the tri-pod laser canon, and the radar laser canon as mail aways. Emiel, Wouter, Dennis?

Edit: some typos

Last edited by Dr Dengar on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 9:58 am

Fantastic story, really enjoyed that and I think you did the right thing, I wonder if perhaps you could contact the guy and show him
his figures are now appreciated in a Vader case even if its 25 years later - I bet he would enjoy it Smile
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 11:30 am

Thats the kind of stories I like to read. I bet he would like to see that the figures are where they were suppose to be, also. Might even get him back into collecting after that.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Great story. Like Joe said, it would be interesting if you contacted the origial owner and told him what you've done with the figures. I bet he would enjoy it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Wow!!! Cool!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

A little Star Wars Story 1222016361 A little Star Wars Story 1222016361 A little Star Wars Story 1222016361
Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 1:37 pm

Very cool Marco, I also think you should send him this photograph.

The mail aways I got were:

- Survival Kit
- Boba fett
- Display Arena
- Vader Case

Don't remember ever seeing the other ones.
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Marco - a touching story my friend and really pleased you finally got the Darth Case for them all.

I totally concure with Joe. Please do contact that guy and tell him what you did. I bet he has forgoten about the letter.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Good work, Marco, a touching story told sensitively by yourself - a ghost story really; eerie seeing all those cut-out names hidden away in the envelope, and imagining the disappointment of the child on reading the letter. I like the happy end Smile But maybe the story isn't ended just yet?

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 4:29 pm

What a great find! I love the letter and the story of not getting a vader case. It would be great if you were able to contact the original owner and show him that you have the figures finally in the case that they should have been in. I'm sure he was pretty disappointed when he got that letter. Part of why I love the mailers is the anticipation that was involved with getting them back in the day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 4:11 am

Really Cool Story Marco and i imagine the dutch Letter and Name plates together like that in many ways is a one of kind thing Smile

Have you thought about getting the letter and name plates framed?

TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Thanks guys for your kind comments.

I realy like the idea of showing the case with figures to the original owner and I will do so. I will let you know his reaction.

Jay: good idea to frame this little Star Wars treasure. It may not worth a thing but it has value for sure.

Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 6:51 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:

Thanks guys for your kind comments.

I realy like the idea of showing the case with figures to the original owner and I will do so. I will let you know his reaction.

Jay: good idea to frame this little Star Wars treasure. It may not worth a thing but it has value for sure.

Nice one Marco i think the name plates and Kenner Parker Letter tell the real story of a vintage SW childhood to find thees items is like having a missing link it would look class professionally displayed imo Smile

Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
mrathnr

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:06 pm

Awesome story with an excellent ending. Thanks for sharing!!!!
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:07 pm

jaymassive619 wrote:

Nice one Marco i think the name plates and Kenner Parker Letter tell the real story of a vintage SW childhood to find thees items is like having a missing link it would look class professionally displayed imo Smile

That's the way I feel too Jay and makes examples like this priceless.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 11:28 am

I owe you a small update guys: In the last two months I sent the original owner a few emails explaining what I had done for his childhood figures and kindly asking for a reply. Unfortunately I haven’t received any reaction so far. It might be that he is a very busy man and had no time to respond. But I am afraid he has already reached that dull stage of adulthood where you don’t care about old toys anymore.

Well I don’t mind too much, my initiative was not meant for him in the first place anyway. I did it for the little boy he used to be a long time ago. I am confident that boy is still out there, very happily playing with his figures and Vader case now, in a parallel galaxy far far away.

Something else. Jay came up with the good idea to frame this little Star Wars treasure. And I did.
Though It may not worth a thing, to me it has value for sure.

A little Star Wars Story IMG_3432
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 11:43 am

That looks great framed together. What would be cooler is if you could get the figures and Vader case in a shadowbox to display with it. That way the whole history would be together.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 11:58 am

Dengar that is really cool all framed-up and top marks for being honest enough to contact him just incase it did have sentimental value.

I am a little sad that it didn't mean enough to him to email you back. Secretly though, I am chuffed for you as you can display it with pride knowing you did try and let the owner know.

Nice update!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 12:03 pm

I think what you did by contacting him and framing it to keep it all together was above and beyond the call of duty and it makes for a great display piece with some childs real childhood memories captured inside the display.

Many would have sold the letters and ditched the name tags and envelope but you did this piece of SW history some major justice and I am glad you did this for the little boy and not the grumpy adult (although I think he may well get in touch one day Smile )
Back to top Go down
soren
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
soren

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Dengar

It is nice what you did for the letter, figures, him , us and most importenlig yourself.

Don't ever let people who are not polite enuf to ansawer you. Take away your happynes about doing god things for stangers .

I offen find stuff that other people have lost. Wallets and phones. I always do a the best i can in trying to find the owner.

I offen works. But the sad thing is that most of these people don't even sounds glad . when i call them and say hi i found you wallet or 500$ phone.
You can pick it up there. And some times they even can't say thanks when you hand them their things .
Shocked

Any way i always tell my self that it was the right thing to , and i would be so thankfull it it was me who got back my things.

But then once in a while i get the best rewards out of it. ( And im never gona take money as a reward )

I found this guys wallet he just had lost 10 min before . I found his number on a card in the wallet and call him. He turns up with his kid and is very happy that he got his stuff back. He says that realy can't spare any cash as a reward.
I teel him that it's ok i don't wandt any , and he says that good things always come back.

Im happy about the ending of the story. But some hours later he text me . That he were so happy that he had got his wallet back.
And he still had no cash , but he was a singing teacher . And i if i , og my girl friend og a close friend wanted some singing lessions.

He would be more than happy to give me 5 lessons for free as a thanks

I textet him back that i was a very nice offer , But i could not take it . And instead he could give a homeles some money next time hi saw one.

He wrote back . That that was a deal :-)

So keep the doing good stuff Dengar .

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl_Easter
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Carl_Easter

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 5:05 pm

Marco great story there mate really enjoyed reading that
the paper work looks great on display nice work Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Nice one Marco im really glad you took the time to display this!! Its a real snap shot of childhood nostalgia.

I remember my mum cutting some of the name plates but i dont think she ever sent them off when i got my SW figs the following Xmas they were mainly Tri Logos at that point.

Jay

Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 7:23 am

Bump for a great story but also because Marco now has a new nickname!

Amelie ! Laughing

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=5&Number=4495378
Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 am

Haha. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 7:51 am

It's ok Emi you still have YOUR girl nickname lol

(and for some reason Jimmy keeps calling me Kelly)
Back to top Go down
Chancellor_Peter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Chancellor_Peter

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:14 am

Joe_O wrote:
(and for some reason Jimmy keeps calling me Kelly)

Hello Kelly! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little Star Wars Story   A little Star Wars Story I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A little Star Wars Story

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next