The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! Empty
PostSubject: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 2:53 am

I'm not sure if there's a thread already about The Black Series or someone that collects it...

...but anyway!

I've been looking high and low for the figures of "Wave 9." Scalpers have been RELENTLESSLY selling them on eBay for triple/ quadruple the price, specifically Darth Revan.

The figure was fetching $65-75 last week, and has since "cooled" to about $45-55 range. But still.. way too much seeing as it retails for $19.99.

I refused to pay scalper price.

The wave was so hot that their pre-orders on multiple websites sold out until January, and Hasbro's distribution has been so spotty to the point of Toys 'R Us, Target and Walmart not getting shipments in, and if they did, their employees knew ahead of time how hot the figures were and reserved them for themselves (aka, they never hit the shelves).

Somewhere along the line I had read that GameStop and ThinkGeek stores had been getting figures in small quantities, so I decided to continue my hunt last Wednesday. I checked every major store (mentioned above) as well as GameStops in a 10 mile radius.

A few times I came close to Revan (stores had every OTHER figure of the wave except him and Sabine Wren..clearly picked clean by scalpers) but it wasn't until this past Wednesday that..

I FOUND HIM!

Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! 20161210

So cool...  cheers
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 8:21 am

Matt, that is such a sweet figure :Drool: congrats on hunting it down!

I have a few of the Black Series 6" figures now plus a TFA Poe Dameron/Riot Trooper Carrefour exclusive 2-pack coming for Christmas cheers

Here's a TIG thread with some Black Series chat and goodies: http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t5962-anyone-going-to-collect-the-6-inch-back-in-black-figures?highlight=black+series

Are you going to collect others in the series?
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 10:38 am

@Artoo_Detour

Thanks Paul!

And thanks for the link. I just read through it and will add my pictures to it soon. Cool

As far as collecting others goes... definitely! I've already collected some.

The ones that I have so far:

- Darth Revan
- Darth Maul
- Boba Fett
- Sabine Wren
- Kanan Jarrus
- Ahsoka Tano (both 6" and 3.75")
- Luke Skywalker (Tatooine)
- Capt. Phasma

Wave 9 is a REALLY awesome release as it has Obi-Wan, Leia, AT-AT Driver, Snowtrooper and the other two I previously mentioned. So I think that may be the first wave I complete.

And aside from the 6" line, the only two 3.75" that I really want are Darth Plagueis and Darth Malgus.. both I'm hoping get a 6" release.

The only problems I foresee is that each figure, at least the really cool ones, are $50/ each.. and whether or not I take them out of the box for loose display. So tempted, but ugh!  :I am stupid:

I saw that two-pack before and it's great! Are you going after the TFA?
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 2:21 pm

I wish I knew you guys collected these. Target had some of these: http://www.starwarstoynews.com/6-black-series-riot-control-stormtrooper-poe-dameron-2-pack/

2 pack in their clearance section last week when I was up there. The two pack was priced for $20 but not collecting these black series figures I passed them up. There were three or four though so may still be there if you want me to check. I am going that way later today actually.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 3:00 pm

darthmatt22 wrote:
@Artoo_Detour

Thanks Paul!

And thanks for the link. I just read through it and will add my pictures to it soon. Cool

As far as collecting others goes... definitely! I've already collected some.

The ones that I have so far:

- Darth Revan
- Darth Maul
- Boba Fett
- Sabine Wren
- Kanan Jarrus
- Ahsoka Tano (both 6" and 3.75")
- Luke Skywalker (Tatooine)
- Capt. Phasma

Wave 9 is a REALLY awesome release as it has Obi-Wan, Leia, AT-AT Driver, Snowtrooper and the other two I previously mentioned. So I think that may be the first wave I complete.

And aside from the 6" line, the only two 3.75" that I really want are Darth Plagueis and Darth Malgus.. both I'm hoping get a 6" release.

The only problems I foresee is that each figure, at least the really cool ones, are $50/ each.. and whether or not I take them out of the box for loose display. So tempted, but ugh!  :I am stupid:

I saw that two-pack before and it's great! Are you going after the TFA?

I am guessing its the 6 inch ones you collect if so I will keep an eye out one advantage of being on this island not many die hard collectors of that series so I find them everywhere in stores.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 9:31 pm

Target had two of these two packs left. I grabbed them both in case you guys needed/wanted them. Let me know because i dont collect this line so will return them if nobody wants one. This might should go in the classifieds but not really selling them just picked them up in case since they were on clearance and it was a thread specific to them.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 10:39 pm

arohk wrote:

I am guessing its the 6 inch ones you collect if so I will keep an eye out one advantage of being on this island not many die hard collectors of that series so I find them everywhere in stores.

Yeah. The majority of the better ones are 6" .. with a few 3.75" exceptions. Thanks Larry!

PS -- Bryan, that's so thoughtful of you going out and grabbing them.

I'll for sure take one.

Send me a PM!
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 4:23 pm

@trappedtexan  
Bryan, thanks man, but that's the exact same 2pack I already have coming soon - they also released it over here in France as a supermarket exclusive.

@Darthmatt22
Matt, I'm not following any particular wave just going for any of the ones that appeal either for nostalgic reasons or they have a good sculpt. There are a couple of them I think are a bit meh but mostly it's a killer line with some must haves. To think I never bothered with modern SW until the 6" Black Series came out Razz
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 9:21 pm

@Artoo_Detour

I know exactly what you mean and I'm doing the same by picking and choosing.

Seems to be that the "human" face sculpts are really hit or miss (although the details are still great).

I wonder why some figures didn't receive cloth material.. it would have been 10x better!
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2016 6:11 am

darthmatt22 wrote:
@Artoo_Detour

I know exactly what you mean and I'm doing the same by picking and choosing.

Seems to be that the "human" face sculpts are really hit or miss (although the details are still great).

I wonder why some figures didn't receive cloth material.. it would have been 10x better!

Yeah I think it's the human ones that are the most divisive, though I remember R2-D2 taking some bad reviews because of the scale and the bodywork being too 'clean'. I know of a few collectors who tried weathering the paintwork for display and it looked good.

Not sure about the decisions for cloth materials... I know Kylo Ren is awesome with his cloth goods. Does the Darth Maul figure have soft goods?

Maybe Hasbro are going to reintroduce certain figures à la vinyl-cape-into-cloth-cape Jawa style  lol!
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2016 6:50 am

Artoo_Detour wrote:

Maybe Hasbro are going to reintroduce certain figures à la vinyl-cape-into-cloth-cape Jawa style  lol!

The sad thing is, this wouldn't surprise me. Seems these companies know that collectors are hooked and purposely make "variants" just for the collectors market. Like when potf2 came out with the red cardbacks and then green cardbacks and then stickers and etc... that was when I decided I was done with modern.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Yet R2 still fetches $60-ish range. Has to be the rarity.

I know that Yoda and Anakin are high up there as well.

Maul is unfortunately plastic all around. No cloth whatsoever. No

I would probably buy certain figures if they "re-released" with better quality aesthetics.. but definitely not ALL the re-releases.

The only "variant" I see worth buying is prototype Boba Fett.

PS - The new Obi-Wan has a cloth cape! (thank God).
Back to top Go down
dj121
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Congrats on the find! This line has had some awesome figures so far. I'm not even a very big fan of the EU, but I think Revan is a great figure. I only just found him myself about a month ago at my local Best Buy of all places.

Are you looking forward to any of the 40th Anniversary stuff?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!   Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Star Wars: The Black Series -- I need to share my excitement!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1