The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 4:45 pm

More work on the Falcon interior stuff. Been working on the bunk. I think I have figured out a way to make the oblong opening without having to do any major surgery. I cut out a thin sheet of styrene and cut a proper opening. I also discarded the included pads and used putty to create the pads.

1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 Attachment

I also used my references to make the bunk side wall. Still have a few greeblies to make for it, but all my greeblie practice with random stuff gave me enough skill to recreate it pretty accurately. Here's a put I'm working from...

More to come!
Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Did a bit more work tonight... I didn't like the frames I cut out of styrene... they seemed to thick and after trying another cutting with an xacto blade, I got fed up and broke out my putty... I think these frames look a lot better! What do you all think?

As soon as the putty dries I'll be able to sand them to look a bit more even. I also fixed my nav wall and added some greebling... it's not accurate but you really can't see much of this area very well so I fudged it and just put stuff in there to make it look good. What do you think?

Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 4:48 pm

Well I finally got around to making the pit box for my holes in the main wall. Using putty I attempted to create the details there as close as possible to the movie. Here's the scene I'm working with:

And here's what I came up with:

1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 Attachment1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 Attachment

I also greebled out my nav wall and got it painted... I think I am finished with that one.

1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 Attachment1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 Attachment

And just for reference, here is the scene I was working from... it's not perfect but I'm happy with it:

Also got around to painting the cockpit panels. They came out looking better then I expected!

More to come... lemme know what you think!
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 4:48 am

Looking good. That's a lot of attention to details and should be well impressive for the overall effect. Great work!
How long does the putty take to dry, and does it give you much chance to go back and rework stuff before it sets?
Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 7:29 am

Artoo_Detour wrote:
Looking good. That's a lot of attention to details and should be well impressive for the overall effect. Great work!
How long does the putty take to dry, and does it give you much chance to go back and rework stuff before it sets?

Putty usually takes about 3 hours to harden, and about 10 to fully cure so you have plenty of time to work with it. Once it hardens it can be sanded and drilled. It's great stuff!
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 10:46 am

LrdSatyr8 wrote:
Artoo_Detour wrote:

Putty usually takes about 3 hours to harden, and about 10 to fully cure so you have plenty of time to work with it.  Once it hardens it can be sanded and drilled.  It's great stuff!

Thanks. Is there a particular type or brand you use. Is it like Miliput? Also, when set, is it quite heavy or light? I mean would it be suitable as an add-on to lightweight action figures and small scale models?
Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 11:59 am

Artoo_Detour wrote:
Thanks. Is there a particular type or brand you use. Is it like Miliput? Also, when set, is it quite heavy or light? I mean would it be suitable as an add-on to lightweight action figures and small scale models?

I prefer Magic Sculpt but I'm using Apoxie Sculpt right now. Apoxie Sculpt is too "sticky" when kneading it to activate the first time and you end up getting it all over your fingers. Magic Sculpt is alot easier to work with. This stuff is awesome for modeling, but you gotta remember, it hardens like a rock. The best way to describe the final product after it hardens it think of a pair of dice and how they feel and bounce on a hard surface. It feels like the same type of material. But it should work great for figure mods! Just don't expect it to be very plyable when it's hard!
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 11:29 pm

The attention to detail is pretty incredible. Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 8:08 am

darthmatt22 wrote:
The attention to detail is pretty incredible. Keep up the good work!

Thanks bro... much appreciated! Smile
Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 2:05 pm

Well I dry fitted everything I've done so far.  Just to see how it's coming along.  So far I think its really looking pretty good...

but of course I always end up finding something that I need to fix...

Notice how close the top of the seat cushion is to the top of the platform... I thought about shaving off a couple of millimeters off the top of the seat cushion itself, or maybe even the bottom of it or the whole seat support... but I don't think I'll be able to remove enough and the thought of fixing those areas again brings on nightmares.  So I am thinking of using putty to elevate the platform up about 2mm.  But that also means that I'll have to preserve the control details on the side curve.  So taking a piece of putty I covered the controls and allowed it to dry to take an impression of them for stamping into putty later.

That's about it for now... more to come... hope you all are enjoying this.
Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 2:06 pm

Been working on detailing out my nav console. Got most of the detail done, still trying to figure out a way to do the light cans on the console... but I think I got everything else in there. What do you think?

Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 2:07 pm

Well I think I just about got the nav console figured out and detailed out. My biggest problem was figuring out how to do the big view cans on it. So I tried something. I took a baboo skewer and put some putty on the pointed end. Made it as thin as possible and allowed it to harden. I ended up making a few of these.

Picked out the best ones and trimmed them to size. Needless to say they fit the bill. Came out looking better then I had hoped. Here's a pic of the final outcome before painting....

and here's what it looks like after painting with a little dry brushing thrown on for effect.

What do you all think?
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Jim, I see in that control panel some holes, are you going to be putting some fiber optics in those? I haven't gotten all the way through the thread on rpf so don't know if its mentioned over there.
Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 5:02 pm

trappedtexan wrote:
Jim, I see in that control panel some holes, are you going to be putting some fiber optics in those?  I haven't gotten all the way through the thread on rpf so don't know if its mentioned over there.

Patience young padawan! Smile There's alot more to come!
Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Latest updates.... Started working on the cockpit console. Using my new sticker replacements, I added them to the console and then detailed with putty making buttons and the square nav can. Didn't turn out too bad.

I also drilled holes for my fibers and got them inserted for lighting.

I also completed painting the nav console and rounded the top of the nav chairs.

1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 Attachment 1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 Attachment

More to come
Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm

I'm not quite happy with my cockpit console... So I have been thinking of totally scratch building it. I started making some rocker switches and a button panel. Needless to say... they are extremely tiny!

Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Latest progress build... I finally finished the nav console and got all the fibers run. Just got to separate out the whites and blues and reds but took a test photo and it looks better then I thought it would... What do you all think?

1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 Attachment 1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 Attachment
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 9:14 pm

I knew fiber optics were going to be in there. Looking great man.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 4:49 am

Love all the latest pics! The nav console looks cool with the lighting effects. Top work!
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Jim, hope you had a great Christmas. Come on with some more. This thing is shaping up to be the ultimate falcon.
Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 7:42 pm

thanks guys... I'm glad you're enjoying the build... I think I got my cockpit finished and fibered. I did all the details in putty that includes the nav shroud, the lever box, the light domes and all the little toggle switches. I used my custom sticker replacement for the graphic background. Made finding the holes for the fibers alot easier. I hooked up some LEDs to it temporarily and took some pics to see how it will look. Whatcha think?

Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 7:45 pm

On several of the Facebook forums I've been asked time and again if these are the 3D printed parts. They just can't believe that they aren't. But for my cockpit dashboard, here's a look at the details that I made in putty before I painted them to settle all doubts.

Yes that is all putty work!
Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Oh... and for those that may be interested in how my replacement stickers look by themselves... I did manage to take a pic before I put any details on it just after I drilled the holes for the fibers (NOTE: The button placement on the sticker makes an awesome guide for fibers... really allows you to see where they go).

Back to top Go down
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Nico

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2015 7:27 am

The cockpit looks awesome Jim, great work man :clap:
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Jim, when you're all said and done, I want the total number of buttons and switches that are on the M.F. lol!

Great job. Again, nice detail and you can tell that you're really putting your effort into it!

Good luck with the progression!

Last edited by darthmatt22 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build   1 - LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LrdSatyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Diorama Build

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next