The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fake, repos, reproductions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jedi Blueberry
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Jedi Blueberry

Fake, repos, reproductions Empty
PostSubject: Fake, repos, reproductions   Fake, repos, reproductions I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 11:47 am

I have a question on repros and fakes....I know it has been largely discussed but there is still 1 point I am missing (I searched the forum but could not find the thread)! There is a load of reproduction of vintage cards and they are easily available on Ebay (especially on Ebay.es). My question is simple, since those sellers are known (adresses etc, ) and they do make a load of profit, I don't understand why companies like Hasbro/Kenner tolerate this business....I would be surprised if any of those sellers pay a royalty to Hasbro... My 2cent question!
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Fake, repos, reproductions   Fake, repos, reproductions I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 6:14 pm

I think they tolerate it as they have 'better' things to do. If there was money in it for Hasbro to make 'reproductions' they would. But they make new toys. Kenner/Hasbro did use to issue cease & desist orders. Same reason you do not see 'Rolex' getting royalties from China town. I have hopes that Disney will clamp down on reproductions.
Back to top Go down
Jedi Blueberry
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Jedi Blueberry

PostSubject: Re: Fake, repos, reproductions   Fake, repos, reproductions I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 3:24 am

Thanks James! Good point I hope Disney will jump on that issue. In Belgium, the owner of the brand TINTIN (the comic) are so aggressive that they don't even tolerate people to hung Tintin posters in shops, restaurants and other public places without paying royalties!...
Back to top Go down
dj121
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fake, repos, reproductions   Fake, repos, reproductions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 1:33 pm

I think a large part of the issue has to do with tradmark expiration. Kenner was the company that owned all the Vintage artwork, materials and copyright. When the line phased out in 1984/85 I really don't think they were worried about keeping up with the trademarks. Then when Hasbro bought Kenner, they cleared everything out and most of it went into the trash. Trademarks probably expired, and gave the repro guys more of a fair game. Even Hasbro had to go back and either re scan the artwork or just create new photos for the cardbacks in the TVC line. Seeing how Kenner exists in name only, I don't think Hasbro really cares about reproductions for toys that have not been made in 30 plus years. There is no direct competition with Hasbro, because they don't make parts for the old toys or figures any more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fake, repos, reproductions   Fake, repos, reproductions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fake, repos, reproductions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1