The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jackaroni
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS Empty
PostSubject: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 11:03 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to this website!

I would like any feedback any of you have had with "Capes & Sabers" reproduction farm boy Luke sabers. I believe thy are sold in a 3 pack with a Vader and Ben one.

Mainly, do they float after being tapped? I have a Luke with what appears to be a V4 variant - round transition; however, this repro is very similar. Mine sinks after being tapped; which according to a previous post on this site is not uncommon.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 7:54 am

Welcome to the board. If you get a minute jump over to the main area and tell us a bit about yourself: http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t7181-who-s-who-don-t-be-shy-introduce-yourself-here

As far as your question goes, I don't know of a three pack if we are talking the regular single telescoping, the only three pack reproduction set I have seen was the revalveit double telescoping sabers. The float test is not reliable for the lightsabers though. Some originals sink and some float. Best with the sabers to post up photos for visual inspection. Are there any markings on the hilt?
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 8:48 am

Welcome Jackaroni welcome These are the ones from 'Capes and Sabers' their pc from their site. They're cast in plastic (they sell cheaper painted ones as well). As to if they float don't know unless someone can tell us.  

CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS Capes_10
Back to top Go down
jackaroni
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: HOPEFULLY MY PICS WILL SHOW UP.   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 11:42 am

Here are a few pictures.

Please review and advise.

My main question is does the repro from "capes & sabers" continue to float after being submerged. I realize it is not uncommon for an original vintage to sink. I am hoping the repro floats back to the top.

The one I have sinks after being submerged. I can't find any other characteristic to determine the difference between this particular repro type and an original V4.

Unfortunately, I don't have a verified original to compare the color to.

Likewise, the hilt has no letters that can be researched.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1237.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(127 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
IMG_1238.JPG
(73 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
IMG_1240.JPG
(102 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
IMG_1241.JPG
(59 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
IMG_1242.JPG
(62 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 4:04 am

Most moulded reproductions ( ie not painted ) are not translucent.
Yours seems to be opaque, so does bright light show through?
Back to top Go down
jackaroni
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 7:45 pm

Yes, the edges of the shaft and hilt are definitely semi-translucent. The shaft has a halo effect while the hilt seems have uniform pattern throughout most of it. I can't tell with the tip, the lights I have tried are too bright but you can almost see through it in spots under normal lighting conditions.

Back to top Go down
jabbathefett
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
jabbathefett

PostSubject: Re: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi I actually just received a set of these, i only bought them so i could have them to compare to my other ones. I actually just found out that people actually reproduce these, which really gets under my skin to be honest. The Darth Vader saber is almost an exact match to my vader saber ive had since i was 5 years old. frustrated ... These "capes and sabers" do float and they donot sink when forced to the bottom, they pop right back up.
Back to top Go down
jackaroni
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Thanks a million for the answer to my "capes and saber" question.  My Luke saber is very similar to these; however, sinks after breaking the surface tension.  Likewise, the finish and translucent qualities seem correct.

Do they seem more flexible or stiffer when compared to your originals?

So, I will take this as a good sign in my research, as a wise Indian in one of my favorite movies said: "Endeavor to Persevere", at least in detecting "repro's" anyway!

Thanks again!

P.S. - I too have ordered some reproductions off of ebay just to compare against.  If I notice anything I will update this post.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 11:32 pm

Guys, we can help you identify what you have with picture as best as we can; but I want to say, and I think I speak for the entire TIG team here, we don't want you to purchase reproductions on purpose. We do our best to help out with this stuff, but buying reproductions only gives the guys who make these more money to pour back into making more and the cycle continues with them flooding the market with fake stuff. On occasion the team will buy some reproduction stuff so we can get comparison pictures up, but I want to stress that we do not desire for members or collectors to buy them because the more they sell the more they make and the more profit they get. Kind of a vicious circle.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 10:21 am

I'm with Bryan here. We by repros do photograph. document and help people out. Buying them for yourselves just feeds the problem. Supply and Demand so to speak.

Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
jabbathefett
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
jabbathefett

PostSubject: Re: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 2:36 pm

I can totally understand that and definitely will not be buying anymore. I really just wanted to have a set so I could compare if I ever was to come across anymore so I would know I was being takin for a ride.

Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 7:16 pm

jabathefett wrote:
I can totally understand that and definitely will not be buying anymore. I really just wanted to have a set so I could compare if I ever was to come across anymore so I would know I was being takin for a ride.

Just wanted to let you know we got the email with the saber pics and are looking them over. Will touch base with you in the next few days or so.

Back to top Go down
jabbathefett
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
jabbathefett

PostSubject: Re: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 1:02 pm

trappedtexan wrote:
jabathefett wrote:

Just wanted to let you know we got the email with the saber pics and are looking them over.  Will touch base with you in the next few days or so.

Awesome, thanks so much! This website rocks, some really great people here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS   CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CAPES & SABERS REPRODUCTIONS

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1