The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DTornotDT
New User
New User

Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? Empty
PostSubject: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 10:39 pm

Hello,

I am new to TIG, so please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place. I have read up a little on the internet, so I hope I am using proper terminology.

Here is my situation:

I have had four unopened carded 12 back figures in a box in my closet for nearly 15 years.

Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? P1090779

My mom had bought the four figures as stocking stuffers for me when I was a kid, but for whatever reason never gave them to me and they were forgotten in the back of her closet. Well 15 years ago my parents packed up to move to Florida, and lo and behold she found the figures and gave them to me for Christmas as she had intended to over 20 years earlier.

Flash forward to now, and I took them out and decided to look up how much they might be worth.  That's when I found out about things like "SW12A" and "Double-Telescoping Lightsabers".

Anyway, here are some photos I took of my carded Obi-Wan (I have Vader too, but I just wanted to focus on one figure at a time):

Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? 0843ee68-adf6-4134-8d7a-61a07d67a378

Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? P1090785

Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? P1090803

I have read up on the paper clip method of finding out if it is DT, but unfortunately there is no opening between the bottom of the card and the bubble. My Vader has such an opening, but my Obi-Wan appears to be sealed completely.

So again my question is: Is this a DT Obi-Wan?

Thanks in advance!

DTornotDT
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 1:57 am

It's not a DT saber, just a standard one. Great set of figures though  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 5:08 am

welcome  to TIG

Fantastic to see 4 great condition 12A MOCs. As the General has stated the Ben is not a DT.
Another thing to check for is SKU footers.
Just some numbers on the cardboard footplate.
Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? BenKenobiWHKenner12A-SKUfooterP-SKUfootercloseup

this is generally accepted as some of the earlier 12As (bar the white footers)

Do not be tempted to sell them unless you are down to one kidney. These will only increase in value.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 11:06 am

welcome  to the forum. That's a sweet quartet of moc and a great story of how they stayed in that time capsule at the back of your mum's closet for all those years.
Back to top Go down
DTornotDT
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks so much all for the kind words and for the info.  I took this picture of my Ben figure which shows a SKU footer aussiejames mentioned (that's good, right?):

Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? SKU

As for the DT issue, does something on the card tell you it is a standard saber? Or is it the thickness or length of the thin part of the saber which tells you it is standard?

Thank you all again so much!

DTornotDT
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 12:36 pm

DTornotDT wrote:

As for the DT issue, does something on the card tell you it is a standard saber? Or is it the thickness or length of the thin part of the saber which tells you it is standard?

Thank you all again so much!

DTornotDT

Based on the examples I've seen, baggie & moc DT figures only have a small portion of the inner saber protruding.
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 1:08 pm

As Steve said (Cantina_Patron) the vast majority usually only have a small portion of the thin tip of the saber sticking out. The one you have has a large portion sticking out which is the correct length for the standard saber.
If you look up so you can see the tip of the saber, you will be able to see that it is all one piece of plastic, if it was a DT you would probably be able to see that the thin portion was seperate to the fat portion.

Most of the figures had a 'footer' piece of card in the bottom, the reference to SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) this is a serial number which should be located on the piece of cardboard, you should check them all.

As AJ said, these are keepers and very nice figures which will retain value what ever the out come.

Oh and welcome to TIG  welcome

*edit* just actually noticed the SKU number in the picture  cheers  That's good!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:17 pm

welcome 
Great set you have, there condition is very good.
Looks like you Vader could be a Made in Taiwan card.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 1:42 am

M4K3R1 wrote:

Looks like you Vader could be a Made in Taiwan card.

I noticed what seems to be a different punch  :scratch: 

Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? P1090785
but this isn't the back of the Ben ??
Back to top Go down
DTornotDT
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 7:35 am

Aussiejames, you have a really good eye! My apologies as I had posted the back of the Vader by mistake (I took a lot of pictures). Here is the back of the Ben card:

Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? P1090843

There is one issue with the Vader saber (which has no SKU footer, BTW). As you can see in this pic, the tip is bent at an angle:

Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? P1090809

Is it common to see this in a saber in package? I just wonder at what point in the assembly line that this bending of the saber tip occurred.

Thank you!

DTornotDT
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 7:44 am

I suspect that gravity has worked it's magic on the saber tip over time, store it for another 30+ years bubble side down & it will be straight again  geek 
Can you spot any other differences with the cardbacks with the different punch holes?
Back to top Go down
DTornotDT
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 7:53 am

aussiejames wrote:
I suspect that gravity has worked it's magic on the saber tip over time.

Very cool. Thanks!

aussiejames wrote:
Can you spot any other differences with the cardbacks with the different punch holes?

Well here is a pic of the card backs all lined up (from L to R: Vader-Ben-Leia-Stormtrooper):

Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? P1090781

The only difference I notice is that the Leia card is unpunched. That's good, right?  Very Happy 

DTornotDT
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 8:31 am

lol! I got a wrong.
I was looking at the vader figure,
in the first group photo it looks like the figure has long thin chest buttons,
and the colour/hue of the front of the image looked like a MITW
But it was the angle of the photo.
4 12A cards is not bad at all.
Back to top Go down
DTornotDT
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 2:42 pm

M4K3R1 wrote:

But it was the angle of the photo.
4 12A cards is not bad at all.

Ah yes. So what's the next step? Send them to AFA to get graded? Never dealt with them before, so what can I expect?

DTornotDT
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 6:31 pm

That's upto your personal choice, on sending them to AFA.
If all you want is a sticker saying they are real, you don't need that, you already know they are real.
If your looking to maximise profits in selling then, Yes AFA is the best choice, potential customers will pay more for graded items,
but buyers also tend to want high scores such as 85, 85, 85
If you are keeping them, you could also just buy some acrylic cases, AFA style, to put them in for display.
They all look like an 80. which is not bad at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?   Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is my carded Obi-Wan a DT?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1