The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

FB Pages vs Forums

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 11:25 am

I know a lot of us are on the FB pages but I have to say, it's getting a little grating. Am I nuts or does the ease of getting on FB and joining any SW  page attract some real tools?
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 11:29 am

Avoiding the 'tools' is one of the reasons I've never joined Facebook. Personally I cant be doing with all of the crap that I hear goes on there.
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 11:37 am

I'm a relative new comer to facebook and thought it would be great to join the vintage sw collectors groups,
but I find myself checking in on them less and less.
I feel far more at home here on TIG  Smile
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 11:58 am

I don't use facebook. It seems like a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
JesseVader08
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
JesseVader08

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 12:09 pm

I have to agree John. I think FB pages can be a victim of their own success -- too many overall members increases the chances of trolls and idiots joining. As much as I like Jason Smith, his 'vintage star wars' page has become painful to read and it seems impossible to have reasonable conversations.

Though I think this can be true for forums as well, I find Rebelscum frustrating because so many members leads to inevitable arguments time and time again. I enjoy sites like TIG and less popular FB pages because there are fewer trolls and more members that understand why we collect what we collect.
Back to top Go down
http://galacticheroes.wordpress.com
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 12:15 pm

The facebook Star Wars page that I am on is full of absolute idiots, dumb stupid bastards! 8000 members and probably 100 actual collectors and 7900 dick heads who saw the words 'Star Wars' and thought "hey I like that" and then clicked add to group.
The only reason I stay in the group is for the comedy and to occassionally pick a fight with a total div  :cool laugh: 

Facebook is an angry place  Razz 
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 2:26 pm

I have no use for Facebook or any of those types of sites  Evil or Very Mad 

I have said it before and I'll say it again - TIG is the only place that I feel is worth my time and the only place I post at  What a Face 

I am a firm believer in "to each their own" , so more power to the people who like the social media thing and I am glad they like it - its just not for me .

The only friends I need are right here at TIG - the classiest group of guys on the internet  cheers 

FB Pages vs Forums Star-148

My wife refers to TIG as "James's Spacebook" and even she loves you guys here  Cool 

I can't say "Marco" without her following with "Polo"  :cool laugh: 

She always looks forward to Alex's latest video's and ass pictures  lol! 

She even knows who Fonzie is  Cool

The list goes on and on but you get the picture I'm sure Wink 

FB Pages vs Forums Untitl17
Back to top Go down
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Nico

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm not a member of Facebook  No TIG does me just fine  cheers

But I totally agree with James "each to their own", I have a lot of friends that use FB, it's just not for me  What a Face 

Last edited by Nico on Thu May 08, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 2:48 pm

I find the Star Wars Facebook groups I belong to have really taken a nosedive in quality lately. To the point I rarely bother looking at them unless I see a friends name attached to a post. Too many douchebags who don't really understand even simple things like what a repro is and why they can be bad. Or posting all kinds of modern stuff in a group clearly marked "VINTAGE". Joes bootleg group is pretty decent I will say. It also stems from the fact my heart just isn't in the hobby anymore either I think. But I do prefer to check in here at TIG daily to see what you're all up to. I like all the girlie pics and custom goodies lately.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 2:52 pm

The other thing I ment to mention. It's weird but the SW FB groups are the worst ones for trolls. The other toy and comic groups I belong to are pretty easy going and drama/troll free for the most part. I wonder if it's the larger fan base for Star Wars just attracts more diverse personalities?
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:19 pm

one word....

FB Pages vs Forums Facebook-dislike-button1
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:27 pm

I tried FB for a couple of weeks and quickly realised it was not for me. Each to their own.
I prefer the format and community feel of forums. I think the forums work well for research and guides, and I've made some good mates and contacts.
TIG is my home and I also stop by and have a look at the other SW forums to see what's happening.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 9:46 pm

the only star wars one I follow on FB is David Prowse's fan page. I mainly use FB to keep in touch with my friends and family. This forum is my main one I am on I did join the rebel legion and the 501'st as well.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 5:39 am

No search function on FB = FAIL. Don't get me started on the muppets: "everything is a reproduction" "they are only toys" "opening MOCs is the way to get REALLY minty figures"  :I am stupid:   :I am stupid:  There are some decent folk about- I try to steer them here.

It's Tim's fault I'm on facebook to start with- stinking coins  geek 
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 6:51 am

Some proper fucken tards in that FB group of Jason's. He wants quantity over quality and that is the result you get.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 7:29 am

Josh wrote:
He wants quantity over quality.

That's called "TIG"  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 8:09 am

That's quality over quantity Wink
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 8:26 am

Oops didn't spot that Wink
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 9:20 am

Josh wrote:
Some proper fucken tards in that FB group of Jason's. He wants quantity over quality and that is the result you get.

Josh but nice now. You're insulting fucken tards buy lumping fucken tards in with the fucktards that go to Jasons group. Just wanted to stand up for to ok, everyday fucken tards.  Wink
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 6:32 pm

I've got nothing against Jason but that group is just too big. I don't see the appeal since it's still a finite group that posts anything. How many people jump in, post up a modern item or a vintage one that's worth a fortune (in their opinion) and of course some of the nonsense you guys have mentioned.

My favorite two are:

"It's worth what someone will pay for it" - Thank you, you economics genius

"It's not vintage, but" - Thanks for showing your modern crap
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 7:08 pm

There was a guy on there the other day, one of the slightly less idiots, but he was obsessed that the YPS Snowtrooper was completely unique to the YPS offer? Despite me telling him all the reasons why this was incorrect he argued the case, I laid down everything and AJ chipped in as well.

For fuck sake I explained that for the figure to be completely unique to the YPS offer would mean that YPS would have had to produce the figures them selves which would involve the huge industrial process of steel moulds and injection moulding equipment, I didn't even think at that point I would need to mention sonic welding, painting and assembly! The point being this simply wouldn't ever happen for a one time magazine offer.

Despite this and AJ's input the guy just didn't want to accept the facts!

I use Facebook as a kind of link between my old friends and occassionally comment on shit and post the odd thing, the Star Wars page I joined for obvious reasons, but sit it's a joke  No  I help people if I can and if I feel they are genuine and other times I just hammer people for being idiots...... and because i derive a certain degree off pleasure from being a bastard  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
Tiefighterboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Tiefighterboy

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 9:49 pm

I left the groups. After hearing stuff like "All star wars is vintage" and the classic "They are 19 years old..so therefore are vintage and made between 1977-1985.....I could feel my blood pressure rise and IQ lower (which is not that high to begin with Laughing ) I also forgot "They are my toys and I will do what I want with them" head bang 
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 9:53 pm

Tiefighterboy wrote:
  I also forgot "They are my toys and I will do what I want with them" head bang 

Ahh , how did I forget that one!
Back to top Go down
Tiefighterboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Tiefighterboy

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 9:55 pm

DarthBerizing wrote:
Tiefighterboy wrote:

and...."Come on guys...we all love star wars...lets just post random star wars shit"

I am staying on the forums now. Hell...that FB group made RS look appealing.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Tiefighterboy wrote:
DarthBerizing wrote:
Tiefighterboy wrote:

and...."Come on guys...we all love star wars...lets just post random star wars shit"

I am staying on the forums now.  Hell...that FB group made RS look appealing.

I imagine Philip reading this and then doing a slow Emperor laugh lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FB Pages vs Forums Empty
PostSubject: Re: FB Pages vs Forums   FB Pages vs Forums I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FB Pages vs Forums

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next