The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Vintage C3P0 Repair Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thefax
New User
New User

Vintage C3P0 Repair Help Empty
PostSubject: Vintage C3P0 Repair Help   Vintage C3P0 Repair Help I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 6:23 am

Hi,

I have a vintage C3PO figure in pretty good condition, this it the normal sized figure with the metal stud through the back, the version with the non removable limbs.

The problem I have is that the head has snapped off and I want to open the figure up and repair the head as I hate throwing perfectly good things away.

Does anyone know the best way to remove and hen replace the stud (rivet) in the back of the figure?

Thanks

Ross
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Vintage C3P0 Repair Help   Vintage C3P0 Repair Help I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 6:54 am

welcome  Ross. Sorry to say there is virtually no chance of repairing this. With the time & effort that may be involved you might as well buy another one. By all means keep it, especially if it is sentimental ( a childhood figure ) I'd be just glueing it back on.
Back to top Go down
thefax
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Vintage C3P0 Repair Help   Vintage C3P0 Repair Help I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 7:31 am

No Thats a pain, It is not sentimental just hate throwing stuff away without at least trying to repair it. literally all that it needs is a screw or something in the end of the head piece to stop it coming out.
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Vintage C3P0 Repair Help   Vintage C3P0 Repair Help I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 9:24 am

I've never had any luck pulling the 3-po's or ds droids apart. The bodies are damn near impossible to take apart without destroying it. Like AJ said, you'll have too either buy a new one or glue the head back on. Don't through the old one out. There are lots of customizers looking for parts.

And welcome  Ross
Back to top Go down
thefax
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Vintage C3P0 Repair Help   Vintage C3P0 Repair Help I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 9:59 am

I was thinking of drilling out the rivet in the back and then replacing it afterwards. Not sure what kind of rivet i is and what to replace it with.
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Vintage C3P0 Repair Help   Vintage C3P0 Repair Help I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 10:12 am

I have a feeling that it is the same kind of rivet that is in the FX-7.  http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t5297-have-you-ever-seena-dismantled-fx-7

Vintage C3P0 Repair Help Dsc06910
Back to top Go down
thefax
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Vintage C3P0 Repair Help   Vintage C3P0 Repair Help I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 10:18 am

Woah! thats a pretty severe rivet, As it is only the head that needs doing I might see if it is possible to prise around the top and insert the repaired piece that way
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Vintage C3P0 Repair Help   Vintage C3P0 Repair Help I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 10:22 am

Just glue it back mate, you'll end up making the figure worse if you start prising around the top of the body.
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Vintage C3P0 Repair Help   Vintage C3P0 Repair Help I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Drilling out the rivet would be irrelevant anyway as it's not holding the figure together, the figure is sonic welded, the rivet is only there to fill the hole which is used as a rod hold as part of the chroming process, So even if you removed the rivet the torso would still be firmly held together Sad 

Anyway, welcome aboard welcome 
Back to top Go down
dj121
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Vintage C3P0 Repair Help   Vintage C3P0 Repair Help I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:02 pm

You could always use this as a good figure to dip into some brake fluid. Do it over night, or a couple days at most. This will reveal what color plastic was used. Some interesting finds have turned up from people doing this. I have done it with a couple 3PO figures and a Death Star Droid.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/showfull.php?photo=266505

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/showfull.php?photo=266506
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Vintage C3P0 Repair Help   Vintage C3P0 Repair Help I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 10:24 pm

I would say get a new one and use the old one to customize like the seen where 3P0's head is on and bttle droid and visversa hmm now that got me thinking lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vintage C3P0 Repair Help   Vintage C3P0 Repair Help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vintage C3P0 Repair Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1