The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Pieces of History

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MasterTyvokka
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
MasterTyvokka

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 7:26 pm

In the never ending quest to obtain mint figures and pieces for our collections sometimes we are apt to pass over some of the variations that may pass through our hands. I am not referring to factory variations, foreign variations, or even factory flaws. I am referring to a different variation, one that most of us would probably consider a flaw; the child made variation. This is the variation that says once upon a time this figure was enjoyed and played with by a kid, it was more than just a collectible.

Recently I made some purchases that had these characteristics. In both cases I felt that I was out money that I really didn't want to be. (One was my fault and the other the sellers.) However when I thought about it I realized that these pieces were their own unique pieces of star wars figure history. The first is a Hoth Leia that some kid probably decided needed earings as there are attempts to make them on each of the ear lobes. I would also be willing to bet that this figures was played with by a girl. What are the chances that a young boy would think to put earings on a female figure...I know I wouldn't have.
Pieces of History 002-2
Pieces of History 003-2

The second is a Hoth Ice Planet playset. One of the Rebel Soldiers has red marker on his face. I can imagine some kid seeing the soldiers on there and thinking that one of the them should be injured.
Pieces of History 001
Pieces of History 005-2

I am sure I am not the only one with pieces like this in their collection, whether you came across them or they were from your childhood, so lets seem em. Also I know many of you played with these figures so lets hear your stories on how you might have made your figures unique and more playable to your desires.
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 7:30 pm

I can think of one boy who would of been putting earings on his Leia's What a Face

You got me thinking now. Did she wear any earings in the films? I never really took any notice before.
Back to top Go down
MasterTyvokka
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
MasterTyvokka

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 7:58 pm

Josh wrote:
I can think of one boy who would of been putting earings on his Leia's What a Face

You got me thinking now. Did she wear any earings in the films? I never really took any notice before.

lol! Well it appears that that speculation was wrong. I googled pictures of Hoth Leia and from what I could tell it doesn't appear that she had on earrings. I am not sure about at other times.
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 10:30 pm

I never added earrings to Leia but repainting figures and weathering vehicles was something I did to most of my toys. Even as a kid I was nuts about movie accuracy. If I felt the toy didn't properly represent the object or person in question I would add details to it until it met my approval--even if it meant taking a little creative license (LOL). I remember sometimes there were vehicles or playsets I didn't want because I thought they were up to standard.

I also remember one time I left my X-Wing fighter over at a friend's house and when I went over to get it the next day he proudly showed me how he had done me a favor and cleaned it up so that it looked new--I was furious! It was right after that I decided to paint it. I was a weird kid.

This thread got me thinking (obviously) so I dug out my old figures and took a few pics of some. These are my original figures from when I was a kid that I painted circa 1981-82. Some I didn't do much too like 4-LOM (or Zuckuss as he was I guess) or just painting the tubing and joints on IG-88 black while others got more of a reworking (some of the painting that I did was partially worn off playing with them):

Pieces of History Th_P1040123
Back to top Go down
MasterTyvokka
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
MasterTyvokka

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:05 pm

dcarty wrote:
I never added earrings to Leia but repainting figures and weathering vehicles was something I did to most of my toys. Even as a kid I was nuts about movie accuracy. If I felt the toy didn't properly represent the object or person in question I would add details to it until it met my approval--even if it meant taking a little creative license (LOL). I remember sometimes there were vehicles or playsets I didn't want because I thought they were up to standard.

I also remember one time I left my X-Wing fighter over at a friend's house and when I went over to get it the next day he proudly showed me how he had done me a favor and cleaned it up so that it looked new--I was furious! It was right after that I decided to paint it. I was a weird kid.

This thread got me thinking (obviously) so I dug out my old figures and took a few pics of some. These are my original figures from when I was a kid that I painted circa 1981-82. Some I didn't do much too like 4-LOM (or Zuckuss as he was I guess) or just painting the tubing and joints on IG-88 black while others got more of a reworking (some of the painting that I did was partially worn off playing with them):

Pieces of History Th_P1040123

Lol...it looks like Zuckuss (formerly 4-LOM) and Boba got the works, these are cool. And I am sure you weren't the only one that cared about movie accuracy. I didnt paint my figs for accuracy but my brother and I used to play with our figures in our grandparents large living room. In this room there was a large fake tree with fake pine straw type stuff. We would take our storm troopers and clones and paint them brown and green so that they were camo and we would hide them in the tree to act as snipers as our armies battled it out.
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 7:37 am

Yeah, I thought you did a pretty good job with them.

Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:28 am

Leia had earrings when she was in her slave outfit at Jabba's.

Pieces of History Slave_leia_closeup_616
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 1:19 am

Just for kicks here's what I did to the Falcon (the engine vents stickers have all fallen off):

Pieces of History IMAG0629
Back to top Go down
JesseVader08
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
JesseVader08

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 1:56 am

Wow, that Falcon look amazing! How much time did you put into that?
Back to top Go down
http://galacticheroes.wordpress.com
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks, Mate! Gosh I don't know it was close to 30 years ago lol. I would imagine I took an hour or so to paint the color panels then another hour or so to do the weathering (pouring the sludge from the bottom of my paint thinner jar onto a rag and rubbing it all over the ship). I probably spent another hour or so touching things up and adding to where I missed. Then I cut out around the inside of the mandibles--I remember that was pretty hard and that I wished I hadn't started it but once I started there was no turning back. I was going to go back and glue on some smaller strips along where I cut it but never did.

I'll see if I can find my X-Wing too.
Back to top Go down
MasterTyvokka
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
MasterTyvokka

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 8:46 pm

dcarty wrote:
Thanks, Mate! Gosh I don't know it was close to 30 years ago lol. I would imagine I took an hour or so to paint the color panels then another hour or so to do the weathering (pouring the sludge from the bottom of my paint thinner jar onto a rag and rubbing it all over the ship). I probably spent another hour or so touching things up and adding to where I missed. Then I cut out around the inside of the mandibles--I remember that was pretty hard and that I wished I hadn't started it but once I started there was no turning back. I was going to go back and glue on some smaller strips along where I cut it but never did.

I'll see if I can find my X-Wing too.

I agree that falcon really is awesome looking...would love see the x-wing if you find it.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: my first C3P0   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 1:53 am

Lets see my story started out at xmas in the 1978, me and my younger were asking for star wars toys on xmas day my mom and step dad were watching us open them we were eached told we had a vehicle ans a figure so we were excited my brother opened his and he got a x-wing fighter and han solo,

I however got the landspeeder and C3PO great one unarmed ship and a worry wort droid so I decided to fix that I made some modifications to them I was so impressed I put them away well after using them for a bit of course, being into buildings models I found away to use various items to arm 3P0 like landing gear struts and tin voil and yarn.

I will get out the speeder and show that of to.

here is a photo of 3P0 he is armed with twin blasters and a flame thrower.

Pieces of History 007-3

Pieces of History 006-6

Pieces of History 005-4
Back to top Go down
MasterTyvokka
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
MasterTyvokka

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 12:21 am

arohk wrote:
Lets see my story started out at xmas in the 1978, me and my younger were asking for star wars toys on xmas day my mom and step dad were watching us open them we were eached told we had a vehicle ans a figure so we were excited my brother opened his and he got a x-wing fighter and han solo,

I however got the landspeeder and C3PO great one unarmed ship and a worry wort droid so I decided to fix that I made some modifications to them I was so impressed I put them away well after using them for a bit of course, being into buildings models I found away to use various items to arm 3P0 like landing gear struts and tin voil and yarn.

I will get out the speeder and show that of to.

here is a photo of 3P0 he is armed with twin blasters and a flame thrower.

Pieces of History 007-3

Pieces of History 006-6

Pieces of History 005-4

That is one badass looking C3PO lol! I would say he nearly gives Fett a run for his money.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 9:51 am

I was pretty proud of him I wish I kept the BSG adama he was on the recieving end of the 3P0 flame thrower it looked cool.
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 am

LOLOL! That's awesome, were not averse to adding battle damage to vehicles and figures (especially if they broke) but I don't think we ever went so far as to blowtorch anything cheers I like the double barreled blaster especially it almost looks like the guns from The Black Hole.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 3:13 pm

This is a GREAT thread.

@ dcarty: killer Millennium Falcon! :clap:

@ ArohK: That bad ass protocol droid is C-3PX, and you even made him a long time before he got an official record in the expanded universe.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/C-3PX
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 3:28 pm

LOL I never knew they did that I don't follow the expanded univers I will have to send george a letter I want my royalties Smile
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Don't forget to go by car when you have settled this with George. Very Happy

Pieces of History Image
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Darth Scott
New User
New User
Darth Scott

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 5:27 pm

You guys were way cooler kids than I--I didn't even like my figs to get dirty! When my youngest sister got a hold of them, they got a bit rougher, but painting a figure? That didn't occur to me until much, much later.

Can't wait to see that X-Wing!
Back to top Go down
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 pm

I finally found the X-Wing. Not much to crow about just a weathering coat (a bit washed out in the pic). I didn't rework any of the stickers or anything. The canopy has clouded up probably because of whatever solvent I used at the time. Inside I found an X-Wing pilot I had re-done as Biggs:

Pieces of History IMAG0670

Also found my old Snowspeeder (out of its environment):

Pieces of History IMAG0675

Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 10:02 pm

those are cool I love the speeder
Back to top Go down
OZIO
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
OZIO

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:09 pm

If only Luke had this when he faced Wampa...
Pieces of History 564398_4199119932183_1346611973_n
Pieces of History 599515_4199120652201_1751552160_n
Back to top Go down
sithtoys
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
sithtoys

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 8:15 am

I love these vintage customs. To me, it's just more of a personal connection to the toy when I see something
that a child "embellished", or improved. One of my favorite items is an original 12" Vader that someone applied
(correctly) a really nice metallic silver Testor's silver model paint to the upper armor. It's just really amazing to
think someone took the time back then to find a good still shot of Vader and thought "hey .. that is what his armor
really looks like", then thought enough of the toy to "improve" it Smile

Bill
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 6:07 pm

Your kind of short for a Stormtrooper Stormie Smiley

Pieces of History Dsc08810

I have been dying to post this lil' fella - Thank You to Cantina Patron for showing me how Cool

Hopefully I can contribute more to the TIG now celebrate
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 pm

lol! Love it! The Empire has been infiltrated by an Ewok.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pieces of History Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pieces of History   Pieces of History I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pieces of History

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next