The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? Empty
PostSubject: OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations?   OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi folks,

I think that most of you, like me probably didn't just collect Star Wars toys when they where young. I had loads of different toy lines over the years, mainly for me it was Star Wars, M.A.S.K. He-Man and Action Force (G.I. Joe), I appreciate that different companies do things differently and that they weren't all released by Kenner (Think M.A.S.K. was, He-Man Mattell and G.I. Joe? Can't remember) basically I was just wondering if any one collected other toy lines like these and more to the point did any of them have mutiple variations, like paint colour, COO variations etc. etc.
I found other websites dedicated to some of the lines mentioned above, but never seem to come across any real toy line that seems to have been so scutinized as the Star Wars line. Any thoughts or sites?
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations?   OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 3:00 pm

I have a few variants in my Vintage Battlestar Galactica collection. Very Happy

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t5139-does-anyone-else-collect-vintage-battlestar-galactica
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations?   OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Cheers Clint, I never had any of them as a kid but I do remember them, loved the program, I'm suprised they didn't sew George Lucas for robbing the Cylon design for Vader and blatantly nicking the Colonial Raider design for the X-Wing heehee Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations?   OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 5:20 pm

I collect alot of different lines and have noticed paint variations in nearly every one . Battlestar Galactica as Clint mentioned , Buck Rogers and my D&D collection to name a few .

I actually have some D&D paint variants shown in my OT thread I started . I have even noticed coo stamp variants - some made in macao , others hong kong .

Here is a great example - Melf The Elf (AKA Paralay) - the figure and accessories are pretty well identical molds but the paint is different (mainly face and hands) and the swords are made of slightly different plastic colors / shields painted differently . I am not positive but I think that the one on the left was a 1st series release and the right is 2nd series .
OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? Dsc02410

same paint differences here with Ringlerun ...
OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? Dsc02510

Stronghearts - 2 on left 1st series releases molded in completely different armor colors - the 1 on the right is a 2nd series release that had a lever on the back added for "battle-matic" arm action feature .Even the swords are different plastic colors ...
OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? Dsc02411

Check out my does anyone else collect D&D thread to see a few more What a Face

Its probably pretty safe to say that most lines would show some variations . If , like star wars , they were produced in different factories you are bound to see color differences due to different materials used . If a figure line was made over a longer period of time than just 1 year then the variations would probably be even more common due to manufacturer changes along the way .

If your thinking about collecting Joes and I would be willing to bet there are variants there too due to the long time they were produced and the sheer number due to the popularity of the line . There were so many made that I bet they were made in multiple factories , thus increasing the chances for variations . I know the 1st series had streight arms and the later releases had extra joints added to give the more poseable arms .

Hope this helps General Wink
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations?   OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 7:57 am

Quote :
If your thinking about collecting Joes and I would be willing to bet there are variants there too due to the long time they were produced and the sheer number due to the popularity of the line .

Yeah James, I be inclined to agree, the huge production numbers and years of production, you would expect numerous variations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think G.I. Joe's have only had a 2 years production break since 1982!

Never seen them figures of yours before, Gelf the Elf looks like he's about to 'knock one out' Very Happy

Cheers for the input dude!
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations?   OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 10:27 am

General Kahn wrote:
Cheers Clint, I never had any of them as a kid but I do remember them, loved the program, I'm suprised they didn't sew George Lucas for robbing the Cylon design for Vader and blatantly nicking the Colonial Raider design for the X-Wing heehee Very Happy

The original BSG came out in 1978 so it came out after SW. Very Happy It was the made for tv low budget sci-fi cousin of SW. Very Happy I don't know if George minded the comparisons? :scratch:

The original toys were only made for a few short years, so I'm surprised there are a few variants. They are mostly paint colours and cloth & trim variations, card backs and some bootlegs.
Hope this helps. cheers

Clint
Back to top Go down
Iamcomicdoc
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations?   OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 1:07 am

Have some of these myself. LOVED the show, but I never knew there were any variants.
Back to top Go down
jaffleman
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations?   OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 11:00 am

I collect Transformers and Ninja Turtles and both lines have multiple date stamp and figure variants, but unlike Star Wars there are fewer collectors that really care. So there is no real documentation other than what you discover for yourself.

For example for the 1988 Splinter I own

A loose Rubber head Splinter
A hard plastic head Splinter with same stamp as the rubber head
A hard plastic head with a different stamp
Another different stamp with the tail and feet painted the same colour
Plus i own a few paint opps differences that may not be variants plus different weapon molds plus there are many, many different card back variants of the same figure, some produced in different countries, I only own 2 carded Splinters but know of others.

There are even super rare variants, for example only the very first release of the 4 turtles came with fan club flyers, although an April had be found here and there with one. A few years ago I bought a carded Rubber head fan club flyer Splinter (never knew a fan club one existed let alone that i had bought one until it arrived). Around a year ago another fan club Splinter was unearthed and sold for almost $1000US.

An example for Transformers is the 3 Bombshell figures on my shelf. All have slight mould differences, different size and shape holes on the back of their heads and different date stamps.

And if variant collecting is your thing I highly Recommend MOTU, there are some very nice fun variations in that line.

I think I/we have problems but at least they are fun problems Smile
Back to top Go down
dj121
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations?   OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 7:57 pm

One of the obvious variations is of course GI Joe switching from straight arm to swivel arm figures. They also changed the waist at the same time. Any pocket deco on the arms was changed from the front to the sides as well.

I do have an original set of TMNT turtles with the soft hollow heads. They later changed them to solid plastic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations?   OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OT : Did any other toy lines have mutiple variations?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1