The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin Use Account

The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? Empty
PostSubject: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 5:02 am

I have chatted to various MOC collectors and its funny when you discuss MOC condition how things that one person doesnt mind or even likes would put the other guy off completely E.g I like price stickers some people hate them.

I thought it would be cool to share with each the types of things we look for when buying MOC.

For me -

100% Clear Bubble - Yellow Tint would only be considered on uber rare MOC's

No Bubble Cracks

Bubble Dings and Dents - I have no problem with these and collecting Tri Logo's is part and parcel but i would rather have a Tri Logo MOC with a 100% Clear bubble with a few dings than a ROTJ MOC with a mint bubble that has yellowed / browned.

No Bubble Lifting / Partially open - If the seal is compromised then in my mind the item has lost its MOC status and is akin to a loose figure and cardback or a reseal MOC that uses original parts.

POP must be intact if the POP is removed then i will instantly pass

Figure discoloration - I have picked up a couple of MOC's with clear bubbles where the figure is discolored in some way. I find this something that sellers tend not to disclose or over look but if im honest it bothers me so i wouldn't purchase a MOC if i knew prior to buying it that the figure was discolored.

Ink Touch Ups - Although i would never be sending my MOC's for grading i always try and avoid buying MOC's with ink touch ups (unless its uber rare) Ink Touch Up's = A Rejected No Grade coming back from the AFA so this will put off potentially buyers in the future.

Card Creases - I can live with card creases that dont break the skin no problem at all.

Card Creases that break the skin / colour - I would still purchase a MOC with these types of creases if the price was right and it was something i needed.

Unpunched / Punched - I dont mind either.

Edgeware - Again many MOC's have edgeware from been in there shipping cases originally so this isnt omething that bothers me.

MOC's with Offers - I total dig the fact that the line had some many different card issues and the MOC's with Offers are just as cool for me take the ackbar revenge offer for example Smile Again i do know MOC collectors who only collect offerless MOC.

Ill try and think of some more points to add to my post today Smile

Jay
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 8:42 am

I try for the best but most MOC is welcome in my house lol

I must say , POP removal (if done neatly) is really not something that would put me off, the reasons?

1. If done so it only shows from the back then it will display great

2. A cut POP to me relates to the mail aways and kids sending off for figures, it might have been a collector back in the day but it might also have been a parent of a SW loving child wanting his mail away Anakin or similar, just think it adds character and memories of being a kid and waiting on figures in the mail Smile (normally your first ever piece of mail!)

People tend to freak out at missing POPS I don't really know why, I guess yes its a bit of the card missing..but who displays the back?

Will try to find a picture of a neat POP removal as well !

--------

Bubbles - Well I would ideally like clear, in reality its harder to find clear bubbles and they are more expensive, sometimes you get lucky and of course Trilogo figures are great for this but I have had a few tint in my possession so lately I feel less and less worried about actually owning yellow bubbles, its like trying to worry about wrinkles on your face when they are an inevitability, you might be able to slow it with some care but it will happen! lol

I try to avoid stickers that obstruct the card art , price stickers etc but if its something I need - anything is game.

Good condition is more of a bonus for me than a must, I would however steer clear of cracked or lifting bubbles, thats looking for trouble later down the line and unless it was something ultra rare and I got a great deal I can see myself passing on anything with an issue on the seal.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:05 am

Wanted to show you guys this, it was a test and general question on another forum.

Interesting to note that the majority chose the one with the large crease that still had the POP, to me it is still a no brainer the missing POP MOC is by far the better looking of the two..

Descriptions
Han Solo #1 (Left)
Unpunched
Cardback in pretty good condition
sticker tear
pop carefully removed (does not go all the way through so displays nicely)

Han Solo #2 (Right)
Punched
POP intact
Crease through 1 corner
Major creasing down the middle of the card. As if it were bent down the middle (looks like a shattered windshield)

The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? Dsc08110The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? Dsc08111
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 10:58 am

Joe_O wrote:
Wanted to show you guys this, it was a test and general question on another forum.

Interesting to note that the majority chose the one with the large crease that still had the POP, to me it is still a no brainer the missing POP MOC is by far the better looking of the two..

Descriptions
Han Solo #1 (Left)
Unpunched
Cardback in pretty good condition
sticker tear
pop carefully removed (does not go all the way through so displays nicely)

Han Solo #2 (Right)
Punched
POP intact
Crease through 1 corner
Major creasing down the middle of the card. As if it were bent down the middle (looks like a shattered windshield)

The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? Dsc08110The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? Dsc08111

Thats a great example Joe and it actually highlights another thing i dont like on my MOC's which is price sticker removal damage / tears lol

So i would probably go for the 2nd example myself.

If personally owned the MOC's above i'd probably sell them both to fund a decent C8 i was happy with.

It will be interesting to see what other people look for when it comes to MOC condition Smile
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 12:25 pm

I know when i buy a carded figure.I want a clean one.solid clear bubble,clean card,no rips or creases.I don't like all the sticker's on them either unless their important ones.

Dan. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 12:52 pm

I guess i'm the liberal in this discussion so far. Creases, dings, yellow bubbles all don't bother me in the least as long as the price reflects the condition. The only things I won't go for are POP's removed and major seal breaks (usually I'd go as far as to say "any" lifting but if the figures can't be removed or the weapon I'll consider it, especially in foreign MOCs)

It also comes down to rarity as most people agree. If you only see a few of a MOC transact then you have to be flexible on you standards.

Keep in mind, I'm the guy who bought this:

The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? DSC02396

The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? DSC023971
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
browny
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Hello

For me i would buy and display any carded figure as long as it has no cracks whatsoever,card damage is fine and I actually like price stickers (bit nostalgic!) amd I dont mind yellow bubbles in the slightest either.

I guess i'm just happy having anything moc,after all it is a privelage to be able to own them after this long anyway.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 7:17 pm

I am NOT a MOC collector but have aquired a few. I've gone for the cheapest possible (which I regret) so yellow bubbles, warped cards & cracks are common in my lot Sad
Back to top Go down
jimmymindtricks
Force Addict
Force Addict
jimmymindtricks

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 7:29 pm

i'd go as far as saying , anything but cracked bubbles , at this stage in my focus collection , there are so many moc's missing and they dont seem to pop up either so when ever an un cracked bubble biker scout moc appears iam on it

iam planning on setting a main chracter mini focus of moc , and on those , i'd just add no yellowing either

plus i have more time patients on these so i will probebly end up with pretty good conditioned ones

offcourse like everyone else , i hope to get the best possible condition , and iam not to happy about removed price stickers or pop

and i think moc with offer stickers are the coolest
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 7:55 pm

aussiejames wrote:
I am NOT a MOC collector but have aquired a few. I've gone for the cheapest possible (which I regret) so yellow bubbles, warped cards & cracks are common in my lot Sad

I have been there myself AJ the great thing about the hobby though for me is its easy to sell up items that after time don't meet you changing needs or standards as you know they will go to someone who will enjoy them again Smile

Then you can use the cash built up from what you have sold to reinvest into items that fit in with what your looking for Smile
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 8:00 pm

jaymassive619 wrote:
..... for me is its easy to sell up items that after time don't meet you changing needs or standards as you know they will go to someone who will enjoy them again Smile

Then you can use the cash built up from what you have sold to reinvest into items that fit in with what your looking for Smile
my problem is my OCD doesn't let me sell!!
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 9:56 am

aussiejames wrote:
jaymassive619 wrote:
..... for me is its easy to sell up items that after time don't meet you changing needs or standards as you know they will go to someone who will enjoy them again Smile

my problem is my OCD doesn't let me sell!!

LOL AJ

I used to be like that a total vintage horder!

In the end space became a problem for me so i was forced to downscale a bit.

Jay
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 am

I prefer the nicest looking ones, clear bubbles and cards. But I will go for a slight tint of yellow to the bubbles as long as they are not cracked or lifting. Price stickers are fine because it gives you an insight on what the item sold for originally and you can look at them and go "Wow, this originally sold for 2 for $5.00 at Kay Bees back then. Just think I had to pay $90.00". Punched or unpunched doesn't matter as long as theres no tears. Writing and ink touch ups is a no-no. Veins and creases are on the border, just as long it doesn't effect the card too bad and doesn't look like someone drove over it. Now on rarer items like John's 2 pack, thats something different.

Now I will get lower grades of MOC's as place holders until something in better condition comes up and sell on. I got a dead mint Black Bespin Guard that has a extremly yellow cracked bubble 4-LOM offer one that is just that, a place holder. But the figure can come out and when I find a replacement, thats whats going to happen to him. But I've been thinking of getting cardbacks for that purpose which is cheaper.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 11:10 am

Personally, I'll pick up most MOC barring a few glaring problems.

Bubble: I'm really not too picky on yellowing or denting. However, cracking and lifting are usually a "no go" for me. However, if it starts to lift after I've had it awhile, then I just suck it up. Unless the figure can be removed from the card, then I most likely won't replace it.

Cardbacks: This is where I'm most "picky" if you want to call it that. I really don't like tears and big chunks of cardback ripped off. I don't really like creases either. And as far as punches go, I figure most of them are so fragile by this time anyway, that if they are there GREAT, if not, that's fine too.

I do have some exceptions to those "rules" as well. If I want the piece bad enough, I'm willing to forgo some problems. And if the tears are discreet enough, then I'm willing to over look them. Wink However, ink touch ups are a deal breaker all the way around for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?   The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Condition of MOC what do accept and where do you draw the lines?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1