The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures Empty
PostSubject: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 am

Custom Unproduced Droids Series 2 figures

I've owned these 4 figures since 2005 (8 years!!!) and brought them from another collector on ebay. Yes I know there custom made/bootleg/repro's but you've got to admit there pretty cool?!?!

But I know nothing about there history! does anyone know who made them? when? where?

Having done some resource on the internet, I've read about several custom figures makers like bantha5 and his are cast in plastic. There are other droids customs out there and they are quiet poorly made, I'm guessing copies of copies so the detail gets lost. I've also heard of sets of figures been sold at toy fairs in the UK back in the early 90's, but have on evidence to back this up.

These have been cast in a white resin and hand painted, the limbs and heads are articulated with wooden dowels. The feet have drilled peg holes. Only the Vlix figure has a copyright stamp making me think he was cast from a Brazilian glasslite figure, the others from first shots maybe?

Any help learning a little about these figures would be nice, thank you.

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures 1TJpFxR
Group Shot

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures ThGnTJG
Admiral Screed

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures ThGnTJGCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures 7zppDQ7Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures UEUjajCCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures BnhxxdTCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures RR4lboNCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures CB5ippTCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures GHWtDa2

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures HhaedTH
Gaff

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures HhaedTHCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures WxctfgeCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures 21wlKbrCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures EnKVM0TCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures P2S90QwCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures T5G5ELBCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures ZvAJvfi

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures CFe8rkO
Vlix

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures CFe8rkOCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures 8u3Uc11Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures MFYG6cICustom Unproduced DROIDS figures 6gaVrZkCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures GiWR1MMCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures 65jOKd1Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures KNQ5Lrj

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures Jw9xXaV
Kleb Zellock

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures Jw9xXaVCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures VmmEGFkCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures CVArKg6Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures 4emrVSGCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures I3XkVnrCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures KqkGtkrCustom Unproduced DROIDS figures QQFPhfh

Last edited by walkie on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:50 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 8:33 am

Those are pretty cool, mate. Awesome score.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 8:45 am

I think they are Ryan's ( Bantha5)
http://bantha5.wordpress.com/customs/droids-and-ewoks/
http://bantha5.wordpress.com/customs/vlix/
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 9:06 am

Hmm, Bathna5's figures are cast in plastic according to his descriptions, these are all in white resin, so maybe someone recast them from Bathns5's? Is this guy active on any of the forums?
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 9:37 am

Ryan is on Rebelscum but I dont know how active he is anymore. Last time I spoke to him he was trying to get a VW bug restored and he was backing off of star wars somewhat.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 am

trappedtexan wrote:
he was trying to get a VW bug restored.

Star Wars and VW beetles, what a cool combo!
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 11:26 am

Great figs Stef, they are sweet customs, id love to get one of his Gargans, i wonder if he still makes them ?
The guy has a great talent.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 11:46 am

Aussie Fortuna wrote:
Great figs Stef, they are sweet customs, id love to get one of his Gargans, i wonder if he still makes them ?

I've seen some of the Gargans on ebay, but I don't think there Bantha5's as the quality was pretty sh*te!
Back to top Go down
orangpendek
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:57 am

My first thought was that these must have been made by Nick mcCarthy, he did a wicked white witch custom and a lot of other great looking customs back in the day, before he had a fallout with the community.But a quick seach led me to glassman customs , he's selling brand new casts of these figures in white plastic or painted on demand.The site is dated 2012 so maybe you'll have to mail him to ask if he was producing these 4 years ago.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 5:26 am

I used to own the Jessica Meade custom which looks like Glassman's, but my are resin not plastic and the colours are different. Maybe a change of processes over the years I don't know.

Quote :
Nick mcCarthy, he did a wicked white witch custom and a lot of other great looking customs back in the day

Oh man I've seen that and it is truly awesome!
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 9:58 am

walkie wrote:
Aussie Fortuna wrote:

I've seen some of the Gargans on ebay, but I don't think there Bantha5's as the quality was pretty sh*te!

Thanks Stef, his Gargan is top notch, ive seen it a few times round the internet, id love to track one down, its very cool.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 am

I didn't mean Bantha5's where rubbish, I meant the copies of his customs Very Happy
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 4:39 am

Question to the MODS......Can I sell these on here?
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 5:05 am

They are great customs.

Is there a clear difference between these customs and the original prototypes? (pegholes maybe)

http://theswca.com/images-droid/ude/ude-chart.html
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 am

They have drilled circular pegholes, molded from White resin and hand painted. Oh and the limbs are fitted with wooden dowels.

Is that different enough? Comments please?

If I can't list them it's no problem, I think SWFUK is ok with them or I can use evilbay.

But I'd prefer they went to a good home.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 9:40 am

Hey Stefan,

We discussed this. Though they look great, technically speaking these figures are reproductions of existing prototypes.

There is a risk - probably small, but still, that these type of reproductions are sold off as the real thing one day, to a buyer who of course didn't do his homework before.

TIG has a policy to keep the Classifieds free from reproductions, so free from weapons and figures which have a real counterpart.

I hope you understand and respect our decision.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 9:56 am

That's fine I have no problem with the MODs decision on this.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 12:28 pm

I want to actually say thanks to Stefan for even asking. We appreciate that. There's no doubt you'd never sell them as anything but customs but our policy and mantra kind of doesn't have the wiggle room. I'm really happy to see you reply too.

You're a class act (on this only, otherwise you're a jerk lol! )

oh crap, I hope you mailed my Dr. Who stamps before you saw that lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Ohh.... sh*te I saw the jerk comment and had the carrier pigeon shot down before realising you were only joking.....

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures Abc_carrier_pigeon_dm_121101_wmain
Back to top Go down
AJ_van_Zelst
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 4:29 pm

I doubt the Vlix is by Bhanta5. I had one of his many, many years back and it's not the same quality. http://bantha5.midishaw.com/customs/vlix/

There have been several custom UDE makers and it looks like atleast the Screed and Gaff came from the same one (seeing I have owned those made by the same maker, I recognize the flaws (Screed head and thick limbs of Gaff)). Looking at my Paypal records from back then he could be named Martin Lacy (starwarscollector back then on ebay). The Kleb is probably made by Nick Macarthy. I doubt any of them are acual casts.

The Gaff that Ryan Shaw made was better (slimmer limbs) and had a more Glossy cape.

The quality of the customs can't compare to the real thing, believe me. The real ones are regular toy quality. The newer Vlix's and Ryan's come very close though.

Do you know who you bought them from (perhaps check your paypal)?

You can contact Ryan (Bantha5) through the RS forum (though is not that active anymore). He used to work with Nick on things, so he might know more of Nicks work ( I believe they were working on Screeds body and head together if I'm not mistaken). I also know Nick also made a mess of other things later on. You probably can find somehting about that over at RS.

Last edited by AJ_van_Zelst on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks for dropping by and adding info, Alex! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:36 pm

Yes, thank you Alex (now I know your name!) cheers
Back to top Go down
AJ_van_Zelst
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 3:10 pm

Glad to be of service!

I can say that having customs of all the UDE's, can't compare to owning a realy UDE (if only one). But prices are high, figures are few and the customs do have their appeal. Finding (good!) customs probably is harder today 'cause there are less guys creating them. I have never seen a good Mon Julpa or Chithur and the Ewoks were also terrible. Except for Vlix of course, you can get that one carded with one e-mail to Singapore.

-Alex
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 3:14 pm

May I ask which one you own?

Back to top Go down
AJ_van_Zelst
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 6:12 pm

walkie wrote:
May I ask which one you own?

If you mean real UDE: one complete and parts:
- Bondo (complete handpainted firstshot (had 2)),
- unpainted Bondo head,
- unpainted Morag head (both firstshots).
I didn't like the amount of money in such a frail item so allthough I loved the Bondo I never realy enjoyed it. Always too scared to damage the paint, which is very frail when it's handpainted (which happened to the first one I bought in transit, though the seller had 2 so I got a new one and helped him sell the damaged one). Sold it all. Liked pre-production Ewoks more, less exspensive (sold them aswell quite recently).

If you mean customs:
Vlix (Bantha 5/Ryan Shaw)
Kleb Zellock (Nick)
Screed (starwarscollector)
Gaff (starwarscollector)
Gaff (Bantha5/Ryan Shaw)
Maybe one or two more, but it's so long ago that I can't remember.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures   Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Custom Unproduced DROIDS figures

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next