The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Best way to remove battery corrosion?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

Best way to remove battery corrosion? Empty
PostSubject: Best way to remove battery corrosion?   Best way to remove battery corrosion? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi all,

just want your opinion on how to best remove battery leakage corrosion on metal parts, especially the copper parts connectors in our vehicles....

I had to clean my x-wing some time ago. managed to do it sanding of corrosion but not the best way i would say.

My new graflex lightsaber still has the spring in the tube part but the top portion of that spring is contaminated with battery corrosion. No doubt from a leaking battery, and i was thinking of the best way to remove this. The spring is not easy to reach and almost impossible to clean up unless removed. I was thinking perhaps there would be a non harmful chemical that could lossen that stuff up and remove it...

cheers
Back to top Go down
dj121
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Best way to remove battery corrosion?   Best way to remove battery corrosion? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 10:45 pm

I know some of the vehicles like the Falcon, if you take the ship apart you can remove the terminals and clean them. You could try the old stand by is baking soda and water. That might just be for actual car battery terminals though.

Other than that, auto parts stores should carry a spay can for cleaning corrosion off terminals. I don't know what kind of effect that would have on the styrene type plastics that most of the vintage stuff is made from, though. It would probably work fine for the Graflex.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Best way to remove battery corrosion?   Best way to remove battery corrosion? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 11:11 pm

Cotton bud &
Best way to remove battery corrosion? Attachment
Back to top Go down
Paul Armory
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Paul Armory

PostSubject: Re: Best way to remove battery corrosion?   Best way to remove battery corrosion? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 1:00 am

@Bud...great question :clap: I was just wondering that last week looking at couple of my Snow Speeders!

@AJ...CLR, no shit? That's great and Thanks for posting!
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Best way to remove battery corrosion?   Best way to remove battery corrosion? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 am

battery post cleaner for car batteries should work fine and just to ensure it dosn't hurt the plastic I have some old parts I use for testing I will try some from work and let you all know if it does anything bad to the plastic, it should be fine as most car fenders are plastic and I never seen the stuff damage paint or any other parts of the cars.
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Best way to remove battery corrosion?   Best way to remove battery corrosion? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 8:40 am

I have had mixed success using Coke (Coca Cola)... plop it in and wait a while. I have let them sit over night in the past.
That can get most of it - but I have had a couple where Coke did nothing. After that, use a wire brush to scrub it up a tad.
Something easy enough and cheap enough to try on the spring I think.
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best way to remove battery corrosion?   Best way to remove battery corrosion? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best way to remove battery corrosion?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1