The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gardzy99
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. Empty
PostSubject: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Just want feedback on what method of display you prefer for your collecting of vintage figures. I'm leaning towards AFA graded loose complete figures. I like the clear look and protection given to the figure and there is never issue with a card being damaged or worn to affect the look.......of course if a deal came along on a carded vintage I would not turn it down. What's wrong with multiple classic figures?? Looking forward to the feedback to see if there is any swaying my decision........

Thanks

Chad
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 8:51 pm

If that's the way you wanted to go, you could always buy loose figure cases, and bung the figure inside yourself. Would save you having to buy pieces at over inflated prices or, getting them graded yourself. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Jedi_june
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Jedi_june

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 9:01 pm

I prefer a loose collection without the AFA or UGrade shit, displayed holding their weapons in a nice display case Razz In those graded cases you can't hold them and enjoy them Crying or Very sad

But to each their own smoke
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 9:08 pm

gardzy99 wrote:
I like the clear look and protection given to the figure
Chad
I have seen many loose figures damaged within an AFA case from rubbing & bashing during transit/postage. As Josh said buy loose & get arcylic cases ( ie. from GW acrylic) you can then get a consistent size of case as well. ( & save cash for more toys Smile )
"What's wrong with multiple classic figures?? " what do you mean?
Back to top Go down
gardzy99
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 9:19 pm

aussiejames wrote:
gardzy99 wrote:
I like the clear look and protection given to the figure
Chad
I have seen many loose figures damaged within an AFA case from rubbing & bashing during transit/postage. As Josh said buy loose & get arcylic cases ( ie. from GW acrylic) you can then get a consistent size of case as well. ( & save cash for more toys Smile )
"What's wrong with multiple classic figures?? " what do you mean?

I say it sarcastically as in there is NOTHING wrong with having multiple classic figures......being in Canada does anyone have any information on where I could find a supply of acrylic cases......thanks for the feedback and ideas. I love the thought of buying more toys. But there is so much to learn again. How do I know the figure I am buying is original?? What proof do I ask for??
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 9:30 pm

It's just mainly reproduction wepons you have to be wary of. Good pictures are your best bet to determine authenticity. Check them here: http://www.imperialgunnery.com/ or just ask for opinions. Email Christian : info@gwacrylic.co.uk buying in bulk is your best option.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 9:50 pm

My preference is loose displayed in a case or on a shelf. This is partly due to space considerations but also because I like to be able to pick up my toys and look at them. Or as my friend Dalto put it in chat one night a couple of years ago. "I like to finger fuck my figures."
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 10:00 pm

The right answer is simply there is no wrong way to display. Totally between collector and collection.

Personally I only collect carded figures but I have a serious space issue. So 99% of my collection resides on one wall.

What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. 8404855565_640c0fdebd_t

AFA loose figures do look nice but if I've learned anything over the years it's that you can get much better bang for the buck by not buying them. Loose figure cases, or acrylic risers, make a more cost effective method. There is a place for AFA loose figs but mostly it resides in authentication of rarer items (DT figures, VC Jawa).

Most importantly though, you need to like it. If you don't , it's not worth it
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
curch
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
curch

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 10:39 pm

Loose is my favorite. No afa!
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 8:29 pm

I am a big carded and box fans but i am making a loose set at this time because i simply cannot afford the carded versions, yet!

I go for boxes for the playsets and ships though. No loose ships or playsets unless to get parts i would be missing.

I did not buy any AFA yet. I think it is over rated and you get over charged for the collectible. I dont want to insult anyone but i think it is the lazy way ( and more expensive way ) to find a high grade loose figure. The thrill of the hunt is lost when you get a common figure thru an AFA purchase. I know that some figures are a royal pain to get in high grade but when you get one you can be proud of yourself. Nothing beats paying dirt cheap or a decent amount of money for a perfect or near perfect Taiwan R2-D2 that someone just let go. ( example )

That being said, i would buy an AFA for a DT luke. vinyl cape Jawa and a Blue Snaggletooth. Those you dont want to rebuy several times for sure.
Back to top Go down
Paul Armory
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Paul Armory

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 am

It has been said already...it will be your call as I'm sure you know. I agree with the comments of the AFA graded figures. I'm a new collector, sure, but I'm on this computer daily and I am blown away that many many sales I've seen for AFA graded figures tend to make some people feel they've invested in GOLD Rolling Eyes and try to sell their AFA graded figures as such unsure

I have a loose set. Putting my loose collection in cases is something I will get to soon enough. I am a grader 'in my own right' Wink I am also working towards an entire MOC set, now that is a little more difficult due to pricing and the ones I currently have are already in 'My own right' graded Star Cases until I upgrade to All acrylic cases.

Due to a Hot Diggity Dog Raffle here on TIG kissass I was able to win an acrylic case which of course is from info@gwacrylic.co.uk which has been noted already in a previous comment!
Back to top Go down
flycasual
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
flycasual

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 8:49 am

gardzy99 wrote:
I'm leaning towards AFA graded loose complete figures. I like the clear look and protection given to the figure ...
Mr aussiejames is right: AFA cases damage figures.

What is the betting this figure looked better before being condemned:
What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. $T2eC16d,!y0E9s2S7)tsBR(fVJJWow~~60_10
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 10:22 am

I collect mainly loose (and free!) figures. I am not a big fan of AFA cases.

flycasual wrote:

What is the betting this figure looked better before being condemned:
What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. $T2eC16d,!y0E9s2S7)tsBR(fVJJWow~~60_10

I like to see the 'BEFORE' pic.

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 10:33 am

Loose for me I wanna feel these babies in my hands!
Back to top Go down
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 11:32 am

My loose collection is loose and have zero intention of having any other figures sent to AFA. I broke down and had Blue Snag graded, but more importantly for the archival protection. Blue Snag is displayed in my office that receives a lot of sunlight. The torso isn't discolored and the boots/hands are damn near perfect - I want to keep it that way and not worry about it being exposed.

The AFA debate is an old one, hate them or love them they do serve a purpose in this hobby to some degree.

I happen to like the way he's displayed in the case, my opinion.

What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. Img2623y

Last edited by Mike_Z on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 11:55 am

Your Blue Snag is nice & secure Mike (Very nice example by the way). The one in the post above looks like it can 'rattle about' which has possibly caused the wear to the boots & hand. I would imagine that yours was graded later, after AFA leaned from the errors of their ways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.   What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is your preference for collecting and why?? Loose/Carded/Loose AFA Graded etc.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1