The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sometimes it's not a variant!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sometimes it's not a variant!!   Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 8:59 am

You said it best. This was meant to educate newer members, not have them quit posting or to leave. Just cause there are some people who like to be a killjoy doesn't mean that this thread shouldn't be used for what it was meant for. I will start a new one for the original purpose i had in mind, but do ask for this one to remain active as a place to discuss what its turned into and for a reminder of why its ok for other members to be able to start new threads on topics that are not currently being discussed in another thread. Ill start the new one on my lunch break where ill have more time to work on it.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Thargoil
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Thargoil

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes it's not a variant!!   Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 am

kisstour03 wrote:
Thargoil wrote:
Edited..

I gave an actual serious answer but you guys already have already made up your minds it must be all negative..

How can i delete my account?

I missed your answer. And now I can't read it because you got all spleeny. As to being "all negative". We're giving our opinions as we see it in relation to our experiences here. You give your view I give mine. Deal with it.

Fair...

Here's my original text..

[left]" Do you want to be the person to "discover" a new variant? Is it for cashing in , or just to say you found it? "

Good question Darth!
I'm not afraid to answer this one, even though the 'cashing in' portion of this question is already forcing me into defense.

2 main reasons come to mind.
-Collection extension: a reason to hunt for more figures, 'doing something' with them and allowing in-depth discussion on the topic of our mutual interest on very detailed levels.
-Recognition of a newbie like me.. demonstrating (proving) that we do our research too, not only through reading on the web, but actual comparison and investigation of potentials with already established and accepted variants. Call it desire to contribute to the hobby until proven otherwise?

I see the reading of articles and looking at pictures education or study but not research, (but that's my opinion).
Actually handling and comparison is testing in my book and proper research.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes it's not a variant!!   Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 am

Steve - with that attitude you can just leave !!!! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Seriously , you make a good point. People might be gun-shy to present because they fear getting flamed to a crisp. That shouldn't be the case at all. On the reverse , people who hope they discovered something new also need to prepare themselves for the more likely event that they haven't. I think the whole attitude is soured by people who refuse to let go.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes it's not a variant!!   Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:49 am

Getting this thread back onto topic, what about this...

Yellow handed early bird luke farmboy, imho = factory error

Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 Xl1zU
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes it's not a variant!!   Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 am

Oh!! Luke's got the Vanilla Ice Eyebrows!!

Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 Livan-eyebrows
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
olisuds
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
olisuds

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes it's not a variant!!   Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 10:06 am

DarthBerizing wrote:
People might be gun-shy to present because they fear getting flamed to a crisp. That shouldn't be the case at all.

You're right they shouldn't be but with the way the first 2 pages have turned out you can understand the apprehension Smile

I think it's a good idea for a thread. I hate to ask but does the topic have anything to do with all the POCH discoveries going on right now? If so I can understand the desire to start a thread like this.

Personally I've decided to move away from the variant collecting because I just got tired with the way it was heading. Melt marks, bubbles and sloppy or missing paint applications dont make variants and despite saying it till I'm blue in the face it still seems to be the way people are identifying variants around here. Wolff and Kenneth have done some great work to identify some legitimate variants but this mindset of collectors who cant differentiate factory errors from a variation is really stinking it up for them and other variant collectors.

I think this thread should have come up a long time ago.

Anyway, just my 2p so dont flame me for it Smile

So whose first and willing to thrown there variants in the ring for some close scrutiny? Smile
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes it's not a variant!!   Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 10:11 am

Oli, i haven't even read the poch threads so its not even related to it. As i stated before and since it was lost in here, its basically about factory type errors. The one that got me thinking about it was the fat cheeks lando that was posted up. But like i said, the joy was lost early and as usual it ended up way the fuck off topic. I do stand behind that there will be a new thread started in 3 hours so please hold off posting any pix of any figures related to the topic so this thread can stay on the topic at hand it turned into.
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes it's not a variant!!   Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 11:36 am

Originally I thought the FOTW thread was intented for general variant talk, aswell as showcasing known/accepted variants?

Chris, I'm sure it's already been considered, but would it be worth making the new 'variant discussion' thread a sticky, so that it doesn't get lost, and have links at the top to: the FOTW master thread, discoloured figures, Ledy & PBP/Poch threads etc. in the hope someone wishing to post something 'new' checks these first?

DarthBerizing wrote:
Steve - with that attitude you can just leave !!!! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Seriously , you make a good point. People might be gun-shy to present because they fear getting flamed to a crisp. That shouldn't be the case at all. On the reverse , people who hope they discovered something new also need to prepare themselves for the more likely event that they haven't. I think the whole attitude is soured by people who refuse to let go.

Thanks John, I agree some OP's don't take it well when they do not get the answer they wish to hear. On the other hand, some responses to their questions / claims can be interpreted as antagonistic.
As has often been said when these issues crop up, the smooth running of this forum boils down people thinking before posting! (not always easy I agree)

There are a lot of great people here with an incredible amount of knowledge to share. Lets keep it that way. Very Happy

None of us can claim to know it all!
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes it's not a variant!!   Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 12:23 pm

The FOTW threads was for known confirmed variants that have proof of their origins. If a figure is shown to come from a specific card, its a known variant. All these new ones that pop up every day are way to suspect to really say much on. Same thing with factory errors. Error figures are just that. Something that pasked QC and really want be pinpointed down as easy. That's why i was thinking of doing this thread.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes it's not a variant!!   Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:13 pm

As far as making the new thread a sticky, that's up to the powers that be now. Im not in the position to make that call anymore. If John or Chris deem it would be a good idea, they can. Its up to them to make that call.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes it's not a variant!!   Sometimes it's not a variant!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sometimes it's not a variant!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2