The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

another question about baggies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

another question about baggies Empty
PostSubject: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 5:45 pm

Is there a way to tell if your baggie has been tempered with? I have bought a baggie emperor but looking at this now I think I may have been a victim of a reseal. I have done a little research and most of the baggie emperor I have seen have the baggie upside down instead of the other way around. Also I was told that it was taped. And there is a photo with the tape but it looks like the glue of the tape as been smeered and it looks like a reseal. Ihave seen the pics of the toy but I cannot post pics until I really get the item but can someone shed some light on what I am supposed to get if it is legit?
are there a pics page as to what the tape should or might look like?

I read the SWA page on baggies but while informative, it still is missing a lot of visual examples to be a true guide (IMHO). I like the idea of collecting baggies and this would be my first one so the more info I have the better.

thanks
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 5:58 pm

A picture would say a million words. Post one up and you might get a few in return. But an Emporer baggie isnt really worth resealing unless its a rare foreign variant really. Theres way too many in sealed boxes in lots of 10 you can pick up at a decent price. But as for the tape, is it yellowing or still clear? Most of the vintage tape has yellowed over the years and its extremely hard to duplicate it.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 4:12 am

Send Frank a PM he the man for baggie questions mate Smile
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 9:42 pm

I will have to wait until i really get the toy, the seller posted several pics of it but i do not want to post any pics until i have the item in hand.

Honestly i bought this up because i needed a close to mint emperor figure and i had not been able to find one that was decent, they always have paint rubs and such. So this one is close to mint if not mint ( per say ) Even if the baggie has been released it would not be a total loss to me because i could open it and display it out of the bag and it looks like the toy itself is mint, probably opened but resealed and stored away. However if this had been any other baggie i would have been pretty dissed. but like i said i have to wait and see.

the only thing is that the seller was vague enough to "kinda" cover his ass in the description so i am not sure how or if i am going to actually leave him a feedback. Most of the time when i receive bad stuff i do not neg but i also do not give them any feedback at all. I d rather not use my vote. Did not happen often to me so far though.....
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 pm

If you plan on opening it, then if its a reseal, it doesnt matter much. And post a pix up. Not like we going to go running hunting it down. We can be trusted here. Wink Twisted Evil Why wait till its in hand to find out it is re sealed? The would defeat the purpose of asking in the first place wouldnt it? Im not in the market for one, so Im not comp for it.
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 5:05 pm

well here it is...

verdict? i call it a reseal....

another question about baggies Emperor
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Off to Ebay I go to hunt it down now. HAHAHAHA!

The tape actually does look like its been opened. Its been moved out of the original position it was in from what Im looking at. And it also looks like 2 layers of tape on it from that pix.
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 5:47 pm

could it be that it was taped twice? anyone seen that?

Ill have to check the creases in the bag when i get it to see if i see previous baggie creases. But like i said, i was hunting for a mint emperor so it would be no loss for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm not very experienced with old tape, but that one looks messy. The corner is like gnawed off, probably when being removed. The bag seems to be in decent condition, but the tape is like 7 bad years. I think it was opened and put back.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 6:28 pm

based on this, would you neg the guy or not? The seller is fairly new and likei said it's not the end of the world but i would hate it for people to become victims of another possible scam artist.

" Figure is in Unopened Kenner Baggie, as it came from the factory. It's a Mylar bag and is taped shut (came like this). Comes with his Cane."
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 7:39 pm

Am I reading this right? You want a mint Emperor for your collection. You saw this one in a tape sealed baggie, bid on it and won, but now doubt the seal? Even though you are going to open it anyway? And on top of that now you want to neg him for the Baggie being a possible reseal?

If that's not your intention, then I apologize, but it sure reads that way.

Secondly, the Baggie seems legit, possibly opened at one time and resealed quickly there after (or the tape started lifting so the owner just reapplied it). The real question to ask is if the Emperor came in that Baggie type. If not, then it's definitely a reseal. If it did then it is probably just reapplied tape. Either way, Emperor baggies aren't exactly rare so you could replace it pretty easy. Unless you plan to open it like I posted above.

Here's an excellent Baggie article on the archive. Worst case scenario, PM one of the Baggie guys (Bill Wills, Andy or Frank).

Baggie Article
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Bud

That baggie does look correct. Blue Kenner w Made in Hone Kong and tape seal. Is it a reseal? I can't say definitively but I wouldn't be shocked if this was sealed. I mean it's 30yr old tape, it could've dried up and moved a fraction either way.

More importantly , who cares? You're opening it anyway. If the figure looks good, then be happy. I don't see people faking Emperor baggies since they're worthless. At worst maybe the tape came up and was pressed down again without removing the figure. Either way you're fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 9:21 pm

I ll have to wait until i get this in hand, don't wanna start a rampage here on what is ethical or not...

when i get it i ll repost in this thread.
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 9:26 pm

RebelChris wrote:
Am I reading this right? You want a mint Emperor for your collection. You saw this one in a tape sealed baggie, bid on it and won, but now doubt the seal? Even though you are going to open it anyway? And on top of that now you want to neg him for the Baggie being a possible reseal?

If that's not your intention, then I apologize, but it sure reads that way.

Secondly, the Baggie seems legit, possibly opened at one time and resealed quickly there after (or the tape started lifting so the owner just reapplied it). The real question to ask is if the Emperor came in that Baggie type. If not, then it's definitely a reseal. If it did then it is probably just reapplied tape. Either way, Emperor baggies aren't exactly rare so you could replace it pretty easy. Unless you plan to open it like I posted above.

Here's an excellent Baggie article on the archive. Worst case scenario, PM one of the Baggie guys (Bill Wills, Andy or Frank).

Baggie Article

Just to reply to this:

If i end up being 100% sure it is not a reseal then i will not open it.

I have checked the article on baggies at SWA and several examples on ebay and the baggie seems to match the emperor one as i have seen several identical examples...

Also on ebay a lot of them have the baggie upside down. The original owner might have seen this opened the thing up, placed it in the right position and resealed it, some people are perfectionist, who knows this might be the cause of the weird tape situation....

another question about baggies Front
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 4:41 am

DarthBerizing wrote:
Bud

That baggie does look correct. Blue Kenner w Made in Hone Kong and tape seal. Is it a reseal? I can't say definitively but I wouldn't be shocked if this was sealed. I mean it's 30yr old tape, it could've dried up and moved a fraction either way.

More importantly , who cares? You're opening it anyway. If the figure looks good, then be happy. I don't see people faking Emperor baggies since they're worthless. At worst maybe the tape came up and was pressed down again without removing the figure. Either way you're fine.

Thats exactly what I said yesterday. If its going to be opened, why worry over it. And now wanting to neg the seller? Did you happen to stop and ask the seller any questions before diving into the figure? I think most of us here have said it in plenty of threads in chat and watch out, always ask questions before buying anything on ebay. If you cant trust it there, buy from a member on the forums. If it is resealed, eat it as a learning experience and move on. But people, do learn to ask questions about things. I did the other day on some comics I wanted on if the seller combines shipping since it wasnt in the descrip. He did, but he did at least answer it it even though it was after the auctions ended. You wont know unless you ask.

Bud, if your so worried over if its a reseal or not, why didnt you just buy a sealed boxed one? The price most sellers try selling a plain baggie one, you couldve picked up 2 boxed ones. That way you wouldnt have to worry about if it was resealed or not. Wait, the box mightve been resealed. Forgot about that one. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 11:15 am

finally got the baggie. Looks all legit to me. I took some pics but my photobucket account is giving me aggravations.

The tape is super hard to photograph but it does not look like it was removed or replaced. and there is not indication of any other type of fold creases on top of the baggie other than what it is right now. The bag is a crisp one if some people want to know. The toy inside is mint. ( well that is my opinion anyways ) Smile super happy with that.

so i ll keep it sealed and hunt down for another loose copy and give the seller a real good positive. Smile

i ll try to post some pics later. for reference.

cheers
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 9:04 pm

I think we can all learn a few good 'lessons' : do research BEFORE you purchase something & don't stress until we get the items in hand Smile
I'm glad it has all worked out for you Bud Very Happy
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 10:52 pm

i had read the baggie page on swca but i was skeptical until i received, that is why i was reluctant to post pics in the first place, as soon as i have a new host ill post the few pics i have so everyone can see.
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 9:26 pm

pics:

another question about baggies IMG_0432

another question about baggies IMG_0433

another question about baggies IMG_0438

like i said photos create a false sense of what you are seeing. the tape is all ok, not opened not moved, not re-applied or anything. so i am happy with that !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: another question about baggies   another question about baggies I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

another question about baggies

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1