The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Chancellor_Peter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Chancellor_Peter

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 6:21 am

ToddG wrote:
Very interested in seeing another, this is the only one I have ever seen?

THanks
Todd

Certainly NOT Todd lol! If it is unique, how can it be the only one? Wink lol!

Here are the pictures of my RETURN OF THE JEDI wrap around sleeved Display Arena :

1) Placed against my RETURN OF THE JEDI Wall Poster and stickers, which I purchased back on 7 July 1983

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 14923_10151250568763406_1021883026_n

2) Close Up of this "RETURN OF THE JEDI" logo on the side of the box sleeve Display Arena :

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 71542_10151250601513406_780356335_n
Back to top Go down
Chancellor_Peter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Chancellor_Peter

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 6:25 am

After looking at my pic, which brought back some good memories of the Summer of 1983, this item was purchased from KATHY's TOYS a now defunct toy shop in my home town. This is definitely not from YOAHAN of Singapore.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 6:43 am

Peter does it just have 2 display stands in it ( not 4 like the mail away ) ? Is it still sealed?
Back to top Go down
Chancellor_Peter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Chancellor_Peter

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 6:51 am

AJ, the answers to your questions are :

1) There are 2 instead of the 4 "L" shaped plastic display stand that came with the U.S. Kenner Mail Away Offer

2) It came with 2 double sided cardboard backdrops instead of 4

3) No, I have opened it up after purchasing it.

Now I recall that the 2 ROTJ carded figures that I managed to persuade the sales lady to let me have with this item is the ROTJ 65 Back Biker Scout apart from the Star Destroyer Commander I mentioned earlier Smile

Basically, the ROTJ 65 Back carded figures were packed at random as part of the combo to sell these at KATHY's TOYS back in the day.

AJ hope this sharing helps mate. Smile
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 7:15 am

Awesome, item. However that's now another Instruction Leaflet i need to add to my WANTED list.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 7:41 am

Great thread, reads like a detective novel!

BTW: Did you noticve that Chief Chripa looks suddenly much older with a Yoda cane. And how about C-3PO, he is walking like he is drunk.

Chancellor_Peter wrote:

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 14923_10151250568763406_1021883026_n

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 8:06 am

Chancellor_Peter wrote:
AJ, the answers to your questions are :

1) There are 2 instead of the 4 "L" shaped plastic display stand that came with the U.S. Kenner Mail Away Offer

2) It came with 2 double sided cardboard backdrops instead of 4

3) No, I have opened it up after purchasing it.

Now I recall that the 2 ROTJ carded figures that I managed to persuade the sales lady to let me have with this item is the ROTJ 65 Back Biker Scout apart from the Star Destroyer Commander I mentioned earlier Smile

Basically, the ROTJ 65 Back carded figures were packed at random as part of the combo to sell these at KATHY's TOYS back in the day.

AJ hope this sharing helps mate. Smile

Peter,
Thanks for posting the pic, and the story, I picked mine up about 3 years ago and have not been able to find any information on it. The guys I bought it from was from Singapore, and he thought he remembered buying it at Yoahans. But you never can trust a 30 year old memory if you ask me. So I am not claiming that as fact.

From above

1) There are 2 instead of the 4 "L" shaped plastic display stand that came with the U.S. Kenner Mail Away Offer- Same as mine

2) It came with 2 double sided cardboard backdrops instead of 4- same as mine

I also have a few more questions

1. Does the instruction sheet match mine posted earlier?

2. Do you remeber it including the 2 figs, as mentioned on the box?

Thanks very excited to have some new info after 3 years!!

Todd

also I did confirm through the Kellerman book that the Display Arena cardback (45) does exist with the white sticker over it stating "not availble in australia"
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 10:19 am

Excuse the picture:
Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 Sdc12787
the display arena was available as a mail away as well in aus.

So I wonder if any other countries had the display arena avilable for sale?
Palitoy only had the bounty hunter, Nien Nunb & Bandolier mailaways. Do any UK members remember getting the display arena as a kid??
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 am

Quote :
Palitoy only had the bounty hunter, Nien Nunb & Bandolier mailaways.

I had Nien Numb & The Emperor mailaways as a child and i'm in the UK. No idea about the display arena.
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 11:04 am

Here in Canada, I know we had Boba Fett, 4-LOM, Survival Kit, Nien Numb, and The Emperor for mail away's.
I also thought that I received my Admiral Ackbar in the mail, but I don't have proof of that one.
Edit. We did get the Admiral as well. see pic added to the bottom. Not relevant to the current discussion, but I found proof of the mail away offer.

We also had the mail away Display Arena, but I never sent away for it. I don't know if it was for sale here?

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 Dsc06220
Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 Dsc06221
Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 Dsc06222
Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 Dsc06223

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 Dsc06224
Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 12:33 pm

That looks Freakin Awesome Very Nice Cool
Back to top Go down
Michael Ritter
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Michael Ritter

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 pm

Congrats guys on the great discovery and confirmations guys! It's awesome how this information has come about and answered some long standing questions!

Mike
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 2:23 am

It Awesome that you guys have got to the bottom of this one, these look great. I don't know if the display stands where available in the UK but I never had one and neither did any of my friends back in the day.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 9:06 am

This has been fascinating. Honestly I really want to buy that from Todd!!!

As for the special offers per country, I'm thinking it might be a nice separate thread.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
ToddG
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 5:04 pm

DarthBerizing wrote:
This has been fascinating. Honestly I really want to buy that from Todd!!!

Odd, as I did not know I was selling it. DB how much am I getting for it?

Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 5:19 pm

I meant to say if I were into sets and such but it really is awesome

Honestly Id love too see this in an auction. Its so rare and the artwork so cool Im sure you'd homerun it.

Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Wow Todd and Peter! That's awesome!

I'm really glad you were able to get to the bottom of it Todd! I know this has been hanging out there for awhile now! Great job! It's a cool piece and the artwork is fantastic. It's awesome knowing the history behind it!
Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 am

That is a spectular piece and a awesome thread Cool
Back to top Go down
maniac79
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
maniac79

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Todd, if you'll sell it anytime soon, I may be interested. Though it may well be out of my budget league, taken into account how rare it is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.home-of-boushh.com
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 6:39 am

Seems that Display stands where available in the UK
Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 T2eC16hcE9s4PvnRBRRcgl6-8g60_12_zps5db0379a
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB   Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unusual Display Arena-- ROTJ not ESB

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2