The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Unusual die cast Falcon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Josh_T
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Josh_T

Unusual die cast Falcon Empty
PostSubject: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 3:59 pm

I recently took a gamble and bought an odd purple and black die cast Falcon on eBay because it looked interesting. I figured it was probably just custom painted but after having it in hand I'm not so sure. The paint seems factory applied and is similar in gloss to that of a regular white Falcon and the entire bottom section is molded in a metallic black plastic. Anyone have any clue what it could be? I seriously doubt it's a proto or first shot but whatever it is it has me stumped :scratch:
Unusual die cast Falcon Falcon10
Unusual die cast Falcon Bottom10
Unusual die cast Falcon Bottom12
Unusual die cast Falcon Coo10
Back to top Go down
http://japanesestarwarscollection.webs.com/index.html
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 4:42 pm

In my opinion I would have to say it's a damn good custom from my point of view. I don't ever recall seeing a black Falcon when I was a kid or ever for that matter. I would take a good look at the rivits securing the body parts as seeing the level of paint detail in the wheel bays and landing gear. I would have to say the person either did one hell of a mask job or took the ship apart and painted it. And not to mention there is really no wear at all on the black one verses the white one which has minimal wear. Also if you look closely at the 3rd photo you can see what appears to me traces of white around the engine top piece. It still is very cool looking though
Back to top Go down
Josh_T
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Josh_T

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 4:50 pm

That's what I originally thought as well, but it does almost seem factory. The rivets look the same on both and I scratched the bottom of it to see if it was painted instead of molded but it's not. It actually does have a lot of wear it's just hard to see with the paint color and there is no trace of white paint underneath. In fact looking up through the landing gear holes I can see the purple paint on the underside as well.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 7:26 pm

That is interesting I am sure there should be some mention of diecast varients somewhere maybe it's one made in a different Country that has the Kenner stamp still on it.
Back to top Go down
Josh_T
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Josh_T

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 9:45 pm

It came from a seller in the U.S. who believed it was a "dark variant" and a rare color, but that doesn't make much sense. It also doesn't appear to be a bootleg so I still don't know what to make of it. Maybe it's related to the elusive black Wampa lol!
Back to top Go down
Josh_T
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Josh_T

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 10:20 pm

Not to jump to conclusions, but while doing research looking through Chris Georgoulias' Toy Shop Scrapbook I noticed this ad for a first shot die cast Slave 1 with an orange and black color scheme. http://www.sandcrawler.com/webpages/chrisgscrapbook/index.php?image=page150.jpg
I know the chances are very slim but could there be a connection?
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 2:42 am

Drop Chris a PM here and hopefully he'll chime in. It's interesting because of the black plastic underside and purple paint in the landing gear holes - and with an orange and black Slave 1 known it's tempting to believe it could be proto-related thinking Could also try contacting the seller and ask if he/she knows more of its history.

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 12:41 pm

I just remembered that Walkie and a few of the others got a book called Gus & Duncan's Prototypes Book they may be able to assist on this one as well.
Back to top Go down
Josh_T
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Josh_T

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 1:14 pm

I contacted the seller but they couldn't provide much information. Their response was "Item was obtained at auction with other Star Wars stuff, thanks."
Back to top Go down
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Nico

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 1:22 pm

arohk wrote:
I just remembered that Walkie and a few of the others got a book called Gus & Duncan's Prototypes Book they may be able to assist on this one as well.

I've had a quick look in the die cast section of Gus & Duncan's book, but can't see it, sorry man,
Must say thou, I think it looks great cheers
Cheers Andy Stormie Smiley
Back to top Go down
Josh_T
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Josh_T

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 1:29 pm

Nico wrote:
arohk wrote:

I've had a quick look in the die cast section of Gus & Duncan's book, but can't see it, sorry man,
Must say thou, I think it looks great   cheers

Thanks for checking. I assume all the die cast first shots in the book are in production colors, correct?
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 1:38 pm

This is a puzzling one I checked my books as well no luck in any even the SWCA is coming up with nothing.
Back to top Go down
Josh_T
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Josh_T

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 1:48 pm

arohk wrote:
This is a puzzling one I checked my books as well no luck in any even the SWCA is coming up with nothing.

Same here. I was just lucky to stumbled across that toy shop ad. I was beginning to think that maybe it had been colored with a marker, but i don't know how would they have gotten to the inside and done it so evenly.
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 2:06 pm

Pretty interesting piece Very Happy

I tried some searching and I can't seem to find any useful info either ...

unless it happens to be chocolate filled Wink

Unusual die cast Falcon 8eb4d810
Back to top Go down
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Nico

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 5:52 pm

Josh_T wrote:
Nico wrote:
arohk wrote:

Must say thou, I think it looks great   cheers

Thanks for checking. I assume all the die cast first shots in the book are in production colors, correct?

Josh, to be honest mate there were no die cast Falcons at all in the book, Have you tried what Paul suggested, PM or E-mail Chris.Good luck with the search mate, very interesting Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unusual die cast Falcon   Unusual die cast Falcon I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unusual die cast Falcon

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1