The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 7:21 am

I know it might sound crazy, but anyone ever try it ? I'm working on a deal for a MOC with a frail blister and thought about shrinkwrapping as a possible securing for it. It would protect the whole card, and keep the bubble in check.

If ESB taught us anything (and it has) we need to test to see if the MOC can survive the shrink process. So anyone ever give it a whirl?
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 7:30 am

Are you talking about doing it just to protect it during freight?
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 7:40 am

Well shrink wrap is what you wrap aroun pallets and then hit with a heat gun, as far as I am aware.
Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? Shrink-wrap
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrink_wrap

A vacuum forming machine is used to shape plastic like styrene etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_forming
Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScweEgRMAv2dYNYb04qFiea_y676eorio5oAadkErkedg5R4bR

I assume what you want to do is Vacuum Pack. Which takes the air out of the bag and seals it. Usually you can stop these machines at anytime. Depending on how much air you want to suck out of it. I reckon if you cut a piece of card the same as the cardback and place that in there with it to stop the card folding up*, you should be right mate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_packing
Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? Ezi_Ezivac_Logo

*probably won't happen with just a home machine anyway.

Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 7:46 am

Could be. Not really sure honestly
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 7:48 am

lol!

Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW1n724x9sm-pFz5dOvNQsgx2RahE0GhOdmw_MIhbgTd4DKxGxUAAnyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-k9GV8mPTwJ8mWUZwem7JqBEPhZrf1Z9v1FoDFxn1j-K-jQ_8bQ
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 8:17 am

I wish I had a vacum machine here. I'd try it on that piece of crap IG-88 Tri-Logo reseal I have. Then again Sari has always wanted one of those things and they are on sale at Mardens thinking
Back to top Go down
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 8:32 am

i think the shrinkwrapping method is the one you should use,and put it in a starcase filled with newspaper or shipping chips
Back to top Go down
KJ
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:45 am

Shrinkwrapping it would be pretty iffy. There's a fair chance you'd at least bend the corners.

As to sealing it, ones I've seen just used a hot wire that you placed it on to seal. You'd have to pretty careful to not burn the card, but it could be done.

It's basically just your everyday clingwrap, like you use in the kitchen.

I'd actually be a bit concerned about what it would do to the figure and package. The plastic isn't meant for long-term preservation, it could be slightly acidic.

I also don't think the figure would be able to breathe, so that may hasten it yellowing in combination with the other factors.

Back to top Go down
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:07 am

i'd have thought it would be safer to get an oscar case made with the bubble holding bits in place,like rick springfields headman was.at least you'll know it'll not further damage the card and uv protect it as well Very Happy
i definatly wouldn't shrinkwrap it with heat.it'll kill the bubble for sure.i once heard if you gently warm a bubble with a hairdryer,the dings will straighten.trust me that is not the case No just using everyday cling film may hold the bubble but i wouldn't like to say how it would react with the bubble over time. :scratch: good luck either way and keep us updated if you try any Stormie Smiley

daren
Back to top Go down
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:29 am

yeah-sus wrote:
i think the shrinkwrapping method is the one you should use,and put it in a starcase filled with newspaper or shipping chips
I might missunderstood you,i thought you asked how to secure a bubble when you shipping?
if the bubble is fragile go for the secure oscar cases on display Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tundra9
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
tundra9

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:44 am

I wouldn't go for the acrylic case with extra protection around the bubble, because in transit the card will rattle around in the case and would guaranteed
be more damaged because of the old damage and the "protection".
I'd say go for a regular starcase with paper inside.
Or even better, some cotton.
Back to top Go down
bootyhunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
bootyhunter

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 5:18 pm

I'd test it on a modern figure first... lol!
Back to top Go down
Sandcrawler72
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Sandcrawler72

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Heat via shrink wrap = bad idea.

Vacuum and seal = bad idea

Anything involving heat is a risky deal. I think you would run a risk of ruining the bubble and/or card. Even successful in doing so.... Removing the wrap may pop off the original bubble if you’re not careful.

Vacuum and seal could pop off the original bubble and/or warp/damage the card. You could do a partial vacuum and seal but again if you wait a second too long, it could turn ugly.

Use the double bubble technique. Use another bubble to secure the edges over the original bubble seal within a protective case. Then use packing material like shredded paper or what not in the protective case. If you pack it full, it will not move around during transit.

Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 8:48 pm

I should've been more specific

I was thinking of putting the card against a thick piece of card stock and then heating from behind to just tighten the front up.

I shipped a top toys stormy in a seemingly perfect shipping scenario. Cardboard square border, bubble wrap, peanuts ,etc.. Bubble still lifted in transit. Just trying to see what else is out there.
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 4:49 am

Well there is one thing you can do to make it work.
Make a "mold" for the vacuum first. I don't think any card will survive if directly putting it through that procedure, but if you have a spare card to make a mold to go on and do each vacuum form from that before placing the real card in it I think it will be no problem. But getting the mold right is probably pretty hard.

edit:
This one showed a little better how to do it
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 5:44 am

Not unless shipping is $2000 in time and effort lol!
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 7:11 am

Na once you got your setup it goes fast Razz but making the setup not that fast Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
emperorburns
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
emperorburns

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:14 am

DarthBerizing wrote:

I was thinking of putting the card against a thick piece of card stock and then heating from behind to just tighten the front up.

I shipped a top toys stormy in a seemingly perfect shipping scenario. Cardboard square border, bubble wrap, peanuts ,etc.. Bubble still lifted in transit. Just trying to see what else is out there.

there was probably not much you could have done with that figure.top toys storms are notorious for the bubbles coming off.without even leaving a mark on the card :scratch: i guess they weren't sealed to good in the first place. Angry SW

daren

Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 am

emperorburns wrote:
DarthBerizing wrote:

there was probably not much you could have done with that figure.top toys storms are notorious for the bubbles coming off.without even leaving a mark on the card :scratch: i guess they weren't sealed to good in the first place. Angry SW

daren

Funny too, because when you think of high quality standards my mind goes instantly to Argentina Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phidias_b
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 10:50 am

Sometimes there's only so much you can do to protect a bubble John, especially if a seal is weak to begin with or the plastic has become very yellowed and brittle over time. Aside from the normal precautions like double-boxing and custom fitting the bubble with a makeshift cover like you did with my Bib, the next best thing you can do is keep the transit as short as possible. If it's a domestic deal, ship it overnight express.
Back to top Go down
KJ
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Honestly, I think that even shrink wrapping it for the postage time only could be a bad idea.

If the plastic sweats due to the shrink wrap, it might further harden or loosen the glue under the bubble.

I think it's too risky to be worth trying, but I'm far from an expert.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?   Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone every consider shrink wrap or vaccuforming a MOC?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1