The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets?? Empty
PostSubject: Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets??   Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets?? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 10:13 am

Okay, so this might sound absurd, but I am thinking about shrink wrapping three Vintage Playsets I purchased over the last year. Two out of the three are in really nice condition. The other one is decent, but still sealed on all of the corners. My main concern is the tape drying or loosing adhesiveness. I currently have each one wrapped and taped sealed in an acid free clear gift bag, which seems to be holding them well at this time.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Will I be depreciating the value of these Playsets if I do this? I am not looking to do a professional job, but something to seal it, so the tape does not separate from the box.

One example of basic shrink wrapping is something like this

Pallet Wrap Film

or this

Brand Blown Stretch Wrap

As always thank you reading and comments are welcome..
Back to top Go down
http://madbrownz.blogspot.com
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets??   Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets?? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 10:22 am

I've used similar at work years ago to wrap cardboard boxes before shipping them.

They do tend to be stretchy like standard kitchen cling film and I remember it been water resistant and boxes still been dry after years in storage.

However i'd be worried about moisture getting in and lifting the print of the boxes Sad

Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets??   Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets?? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 10:53 am

I think it's a good theory, but Stefan brings up some perils. I used it a lot when I was in retail. Does a good job overall, but if you mess up, it'll be epic.

If you go to a craft store, they sell shrinkwrap that's heated and forms over. It might be a better investment. I think it might be cost prohibitive though since you'd need something to seal the end before hitting it with the hair dryer. I've thought about doing on figures with fragile bubbles.

Just for arguments sake, have you priced out a case from Christian, Oscar, or AFA?

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

PostSubject: Re: Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets??   Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets?? I_icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Thank you both for the comments and suggestions. I checked out a few you tube videos on shrink wrapping it seems simple enough. The heat part scares the hell out of me. Heck, the Playsets are 1979 and 1980, so they are not new off the shelf. I wrapped my Land of the Jawas set in an acid free bag last week and it looks pretty good. I will use clear packing tape over each side of the bag, so the secured edges of the box (underneath) can maintain there adhesiveness.

I thought about placing them in a nice acrylic case at first, but those can be pretty pricey. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
http://madbrownz.blogspot.com
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets??   Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets?? I_icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 9:55 pm

What do you guys think about something like this?

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-3404/Poly-Bag-Sealers/FoodSaver-Vacuum-Sealer?pricode=WU343&gadtype=pla&gclid=CJzg7oas-7YCFUNgMgodwkQAQw
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets??   Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets?? I_icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 11:07 pm

The vacuum would crush the box most likely. Some of the older food sealers only heat seled the end of the bag and did not suck the air out so those may work well. But with those you as the user have to try to push as much air out of the bag as possible prior to heat sealing it and a bulky box would almost be impossible to get close enough to the heat element to get a good seal without causing damage.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets??   Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets?? I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 12:10 am

trappedtexan wrote:
The vacuum would crush the box most likely. Some of the older food sealers only heat seled the end of the bag and did not suck the air out so those may work well. But with those you as the user have to try to push as much air out of the bag as possible prior to heat sealing it and a bulky box would almost be impossible to get close enough to the heat element to get a good seal without causing damage.

I believe if the correct machine is purchased, you can regulate the vacuum to where it's snug around the box rather than crushing. Air and moisture removed, with a heat seal. All of my MIBs are braced with the cardboard inserts which help maintain the integrity of the box. You would have to vacuum the shit out of the box to crush one of those. I can certainly see how that might happen to a loose vehicle inside of the box with no protection.

I may look into purchasing one of these and doing an article/pictures with my findings. study

Currently, I store all of my MIBs in a vintage ARMY cedar trunk stored at room temperature and that seems to work for now.
Back to top Go down
Richard_H
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets??   Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets?? I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 4:41 am

When I used to work for the MoD we shrink wrapped a lot of parts for exporting and there are many different types of plastic. Some become slightly sticky and often when they were unwrapped they'd take flakes of paint (and this was high grade, anti-radar tank paint not cheap junk) so I'd be worried that this would be a one-way process.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets??   Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shrink Wrapping Vintage Playsets??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1