The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Marky1973
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? Empty
PostSubject: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 7:43 am

hi wanted to know what variant this chewbacca is I think maybe tri or pbp but there are some differences to them so
a bit stumped, please can you help.

Thanks Mark

Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? 058

no coo but some very faded dates on left leg, hard to see in the pic but they are on there.
Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? 060

left pic hk right pic ?? circle under foot too, maybe a prototype
Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? 070
Back to top Go down
MrKrinkie
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 8:29 am

Looks like you have #11 from the link below:

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/COO-GUIDE-h21.htm#Chewbacca
Back to top Go down
Marky1973
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 9:16 am

thanks but what does that make him then??

still no idea as just pic and no explanation.

plus what about the larger foot and the circle on the bottom of his foot?

cheers Mark
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 10:37 am

Its just a variation. If it were a prototype I dont' think their would be an injection mold point (the circle)

Where did you acquire it? Sometimes the history can fill in some of the gaps
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 10:43 am

definitely looks like COO #11 in the guide, I would imagine it's just a production figure, not sure from where though...if you want to sell it LMK as I missing it Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.retrorewindtoys.com
Marky1973
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 10:46 am

hi bought him on ebay the guy had no idea what he was either, i bought because i like rarities, but thought someone would know what he is

sorry i can't give me info but have no more details.

cheers mark
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Marky1973, first of all welcome at TIG. Please take a minute to introduce yourself in the thread below, so we can learn a bit more about you and what you like to collect.

MrKrinkie, I think we met before, in a thread about a Early Bird baggie. Please take a bit of your time, to introduce yourself too. Very Happy

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3123p255-who-s-who-introduce-yourself-here#64297

OK, back to the topic. Very Happy

I have a Chewie with COO#11 which has a mould circle in the left foot as well. I would guess that this circle is a trait for the COO family where COO#11 belongs to, following Wolff's theory of COO families. In that case I wouldn't be surprised when this circle also occurs for other COOs.

Your figure is certainly no First Shot. Ok, it lacks a datestamp, copyright and country, but it doesn't look handpainted as most First Shots. Besides I have the exact same figure. Chances are slim they are both First Shots. Very Happy

http://theswca.com/lexicon/firstshot.html

It is an interesting COO variant, you don't see every day, but I don't have a clue on its origins. .

Personally, I gave up trying to trace back every single COO variant to a certain card (or baggie), and started to enjoy these variants just as they are, that is loose figures having different labels. That's it and that's enough for me. Very Happy
Off course, in case a COO/paint scheme combination can be traced back to certain cards (Lili Ledy, PBP, POCH, Meccano) I consider it an extra bonus.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 2:07 pm

I have found a couple of those Chewies here in Spain in childhoods collections.
I am still keepting one of them in my loose collection
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 2:13 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:

I have a Chewie with COO#11 which has a mould circle in the left foot as well. I would guess that this circle is a trait for the COO family where COO#11 belongs to, following Wolff's theory of COO families. In that case I wouldn't be surprised when this circle also occurs for other COOs.

Ok, I have just checked all my Chewies. I have two Chewies with COO #8, and like the COO #11 Chewie, they both have the big mould circle on the bottom of the left boot. Funny, one of the #8 figures was my childhood Chewie, which I got from my aunt. Very Happy

Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? Chewba17

Pronably the steel mould for #11 was derived by erasing "(c) G.M.F.G.I. 1977" in the steelmould of #8. In other words, #8 and #11 belong to the same COO family, and have the exact same mould characteristics (like the big circle).

I hope this helps.

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 2:19 pm

javiswspain wrote:
I have found a couple of those Chewies here in Spain in childhoods collections.
I am still keepting one of them in my loose collection

Hi Javi,

Good that you mention this. I bought my COO#11 from ebay, where it was listed as a PBP Chewie. So that seems in line with your observations. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Marky1973
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 2:25 pm

thanks for all the info guys very illuminating, you know your stuff for sure, cheers for all the replies and help

at least i know what he is now Very Happy

Nice one Mark
Back to top Go down
olisuds
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
olisuds

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi Mark,

Welcome to TIG Smile

It's certainly not a prototype. The date and copyright is not absent just very faint. The circle on the foot is a result of a short pour or mould under pour which allows you to see mould injections points. I have seen these frequently on Chewbacca figures (v8 and v11 in Wolff's COO guide) and once on a Luke Farmboy. It's also very common in countries with poor production quality control and these marks can be found on all Top Toys figures although not usually the feet.

It's not PBP either as there is no Chewbacca variant exclusive to PBP. It can be found on other cards and in other countries. I would suggest it is an uncommon but not rare Euro variant.

Is the plastic unusually strong smelling? Smile If so, likely to be a Euro variant of some sort.

Cheers Oli
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Got a question. Is/was that the same figure up on Ebay with the PBP or prototype descrip on it? It even mentions the circles on the feet. It was brought to my attention last night, but forgot to ask about it. This is a recent auction Im talking about, nothing a long time ago. Just curious if it was the same. I didnt get a link to it when it was mentioned.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:04 pm

"Personally, I gave up trying to trace back every single COO variant to a certain card (or baggie), and started to enjoy these variants just as they are, that is loose figures having different labels. That's it and that's enough for me. "
Couldn't have said it better myself Smile
Back to top Go down
Marky1973
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 3:00 am

hi oli yes he does smell very odd, thanks for more info on him, so some sort of euro variant then, interesting thanks for the feedback guys

and no he wasn't on ebay recently bought him about year ago now just as a chewbacca unknown variant

cheers Mark
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 3:48 am

Perhaps send Mike (scards22) a message to check the bottom of Chewie's foot:
Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? CHEWY4
Back to top Go down
Marky1973
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 4:08 am

cheers mate will do
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 6:33 am

Thanks Mark. Just goes to show how info we come up with will pop up on Ebay in no time. Thats why we say that some info is best kept under wraps until all the T's been crossed and I's dotted. Scammers on Ebay have enough ammo to use without giving them more.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Marky1973
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 7:56 am

sure chris makes sense
Back to top Go down
olisuds
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
olisuds

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 5:44 pm

Guys not quite sure what there is to keep under wraps - it's just a Euro variant. Surely knowledge of what these things are prevents misinformed advertising on eBay.

It would be interesting to know if Mike's MOC has a circle on the foot too but I dont think it means much. The circle may or may not be present on PBP figures but it is also common on other figures in Europe. Its just a production error. There are quite a few of these Chewbaccas flying around and I think its highly unlikely they they all originate from childhood collections in Spain.

Nonetheless it is an interesting variant. The hard plastic, dark colour and toxic smell is pretty cool Smile
Back to top Go down
olisuds
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
olisuds

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 5:51 pm

aussiejames wrote:
"Personally, I gave up trying to trace back every single COO variant to a certain card (or baggie), and started to enjoy these variants just as they are, that is loose figures having different labels. That's it and that's enough for me. "
Couldn't have said it better myself Smile

I like that quote and have to say I agree. I am not even a COO collector Smile

At the end of the day it might well of been made by PBP and sold across Europe but there is no way to know for sure.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 1:35 pm

olisuds wrote:
The circle on the foot is a result of a short pour or mould under pour which allows you to see mould injections points.

I am not sure about that. It seems that the circle is consistent for figures having COO #8 and #11. I think the circle is just in the steel mould like Blue Snaggletooth's dent.

I would expect the injection points to be located at a spot where you don't see them anymore after assemblence (the joints in this case), but I can be wrong here.

The COO #11 seems to turn up on Spanish childhood collections, but that doesn't make it necessarily unique for PBP. I agree.

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 1:37 pm

BTW: There is a COO#8 with circle on foot on ebay right now, advertised as......PBP. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 1:46 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:

BTW: There is a COO#8 with circle on foot on ebay right now, advertised as......PBP. Rolling Eyes

LoL Razz

I agree with Dr. Dengar on this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
olisuds
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
olisuds

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:

The COO #11 seems to turn up on Spanish childhood collections, but that doesn't make it necessarily unique for PBP. I agree.

Yes absolutely. It may well turn up in Spanish childhood collections but they turn up frequently in UK collections too and I find it extremely unlikely that they all originate from Spain.

Dr Dengar wrote:

I am not sure about that. It seems that the circle is consistent for figures having COO #8 and #11. I think the circle is just in the steel mould like Blue Snaggletooth's dent.

I would expect the injection points to be located at a spot where you don't see them anymore after assemblence (the joints in this case), but I can be wrong here.

Could be. I'm no production expert but I have seen these on other figures including a Luke Farmboy.

It makes sense if injection points are discreetly located. However don't Top Toys for figures have them in the middle of the limbs? At least that's what I had always assumed those little circles were on all their figures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?   Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Loose Chewbacca With Circle on Feet: Any idea what he might be?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next