The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:32 pm

cantina_patron wrote:
snaggletooth wrote:
Thanks for the pics CP, it's interesting that both your 65 backs have the 2 different figures. Could they be the same COO #6 figures as Tad and RetroRewindToys have posted pictures of?

I'm interested to here what people think of this figure on the right, does it have a different color white/grey or is it just thinly applied? it looks as grey in hand as it does in the pic.

Without openning the cards I guess there is no easy way of knowing what COO my figures have. Even comparing them to loose examples is very subjective IMO as it would appear more than one COO has this paint app.

With respect to your second question, the colour appears to me to be a product of thin paint application.

Thanks for your thoughts on my paint App CP and comparing your MOC's to loose examples is very subjective mate. What other COO's have you seen with this paint App?
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 2:14 pm

snaggletooth wrote:
cantina_patron wrote:
snaggletooth wrote:
Thanks for the pics CP, it's interesting that both your 65 backs have the 2 different figures. Could they be the same COO #6 figures as Tad and RetroRewindToys have posted pictures of?

I'm interested to here what people think of this figure on the right, does it have a different color white/grey or is it just thinly applied? it looks as grey in hand as it does in the pic.

Without openning the cards I guess there is no easy way of knowing what COO my figures have. Even comparing them to loose examples is very subjective IMO as it would appear more than one COO has this paint app.

With respect to your second question, the colour appears to me to be a product of thin paint application.

Thanks for your thoughts on my paint App CP and comparing your MOC's to loose examples is very subjective mate. What other COO's have you seen with this paint App?

I'm glad you agree that comparing MOC to Loose figures is subjective.

I'm no vader expert, but by checking the loose figures on this thread it would appear that red paint overlaid on white can be found on COO's #6, 7, 9 & 14. If I am wrong, please correct me.

I havn't checked my own loose figures yet! I'll try and do that tomorrow. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 2:55 pm

cantina_patron wrote:
snaggletooth wrote:
cantina_patron wrote:
snaggletooth wrote:

I'm glad you agree that comparing MOC to Loose figures is subjective.

I'm no vader expert, but by checking the loose figures on this thread it would appear that red paint overlaid on white can be found on COO's #6, 7, 9 & 14. If I am wrong, please correct me.

I havn't checked my own loose figures yet! I'll try and do that tomorrow. Very Happy

That's my idea behind all the questions are, maybe we can add a few loose figures to some cards for definite, or not as that would take the help of more than just me and you.

Thanks for the answers and pics anyways mate. I've just checked my #7 & #14 and your right about the made in Taiwan but not the raised bar.
Back to top Go down
_Rog_
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
_Rog_

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 4:13 pm

frunkstar wrote:
clipper no text baggie - Rog - that bit of info was invaluable thank you so much for posting it re the Made in Macau baggied clipper mailers, fingers crossed the other one I have sealed is the made in Macau, I think there are also mailers without baggies - just a loose figure in them, do you know if that is correct?.

Sorry no way of me checking the COO's on these without the possibility of damaging the baggies
Thanks to you Frank for posting your Clipper mailers Smile A few years back I talked to a fellow variation collector about a loose no coo raised 'ridge' Vader in one of these mailers but we didn't get very far in confirming whether it was legit. or not - it's interesting to hear you think they might have come loose in the box occasionally too.
It was a bit of a struggle to check the coo's in my sealed baggies so don't worry about checking your Vaders (& thanks for the baggie Luke coo's in the other thread btw).

Dr Dengar wrote:
Adding COO #10, ''Taiwan'' Vader.
The cape has a rough feeling and lacks the typical cross hatch pattern on the inside.

The left foot is a bit deformed, which is typical for this COO. Maybe that was the reason that Kenner decided to replace this COO after a small production run was made? :scratch:

Apparently this figure was released on Toltoys cards.
My "Taiwan" Vader (from Australia) has a slightly deformed foot too Marco - not quite as bad as your Vader's though:
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 2595988140093505810S200x200Q85 The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 2028941650093505810S200x200Q85 The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 2553304320093505810S200x200Q85
The whole "Taiwan" figure is pretty crappy moulding-wise to be honest - not one for grading Wink

Rog.
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 5:07 pm

_Rog_ wrote:

Only one of the mailer boxes I had contained a plain baggied Vader, the others had the “Made In Macau” black text bags
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 2388084490093505810S425x425Q85

The no text baggie contained the so called "Clipper Vader" - scarred coo, ‘rectangular’ feet & thick cape. There are a few slightly different scarred Vaders about (different mould cavities / slight changes to the mould). They are fairly prevalent throughout Europe and probably appeared on a few different cardbacks as well as in Clipper mailers.

Another 2 with the “Made In Macau” text baggies contained a Darth with a raised ‘ridge’ over the Hong Kong. A further similar mailer contained a Vader with a slightly different raised ridge, both coos pictured here:
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 2428580210093505810S425x425Q85

Rog Smile

Hi Rog, do you think the "so called "Clipper Vader" - scarred coo, ‘rectangular’ feet & thick cape" where made by PBP?

Also have you got a picture of the accessories that came with the 2 Macau COO's in your picture above.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Here's some bootleg Vaders.

Uzay Vader and the big fella is a Dutch Bootleg.

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 0035

In this pic is a 2nd Gen. articulated Polish Vader. And again the Dutch fella in the back there.
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 008

in this one is a 1st. Gen Articulated Polish
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 006

Polish unart Vader
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 0043-1

And finally a Mexican/SA Vader
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 0019-1
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 3:13 pm

_Rog_ wrote:
'\
My "Taiwan" Vader (from Australia) has a slightly deformed foot too Marco - not quite as bad as your Vader's though:

The whole "Taiwan" figure is pretty crappy moulding-wise to be honest - not one for grading Wink

Great info (one like earned Very Happy)!! The mould looks pretty rough indeed.

Look at the pic of the head. Pieces of plastic are extruding everywhere along the mould line.

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 IMG_5803

More collectors with the same observations (deformed right foot, rough mould) for the "Taiwan" Vader?

I can imagine that this mould did not pass Kenner's QC and therefore was dismissed after a relative low number of Vaders was being produced.
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
_Rog_
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
_Rog_

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 5:19 pm

snaggletooth wrote:
Hi Rog, do you think the "so called Clipper Vader" - scarred coo, ‘rectangular’ feet & thick cape" where made by PBP?
Hey Scott,
I don't know where this guy was made unfortunately.
Loads of Vaders in these mailers have 'Made In Macau' baggies so might that mean the no coo baggies are from Macau too?
Lots of scarred variants like Snaggletooth, Greedo etc. come in plain baggies though & they're also found on Spanish cards so maybe Vader is from Spain...
The fact that Vader has a scarred coo might also indicate he's PBP made, but scarred Vaders from Spain are different? [see Uli's guide - PBP Darth Vader (not confirmed)] - Wolff, different coo family or not? - Vader coo families are difficult to work out Neutral

snaggletooth wrote:
Also have you got a picture of the accessories that came with the 2 Macau COO's in your picture above.
Sorry, I don't own either bagged figures any more. For the top guy on the photo I'd go with Dennis from the Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? thread. For the bottom Vader, I've got this photo if it's of any help:
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 2172689840093505810S200x200Q85

Dr Dengar wrote:
Great info (one like earned Very Happy)!!
Lol! Thanks Wink

Rog.
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 5:25 pm

I've checked the paint apps on my loose vaders & the only ones with red overlaid on white had COO's #7 & 9. So nothing new there!
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:27 pm

_Rog_ wrote:
snaggletooth wrote:
Hi Rog, do you think the "so called Clipper Vader" - scarred coo, ‘rectangular’ feet & thick cape" where made by PBP?
Hey Scott,
I don't know where this guy was made unfortunately.
Loads of Vaders in these mailers have 'Made In Macau' baggies so might that mean the no coo baggies are from Macau too?
Lots of scarred variants like Snaggletooth, Greedo etc. come in plain baggies though & they're also found on Spanish cards so maybe Vader is from Spain...
The fact that Vader has a scarred coo might also indicate he's PBP made, but scarred Vaders from Spain are different? [see Uli's guide - PBP Darth Vader (not confirmed)] - Wolff, different coo family or not? - Vader coo families are difficult to work out Neutral

snaggletooth wrote:
Sorry, I don't own either bagged figures any more. For the top guy on the photo I'd go with Dennis from the Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? thread. For the bottom Vader, I've got this photo if it's of any help:
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 2172689840093505810S200x200Q85

Rog.

That's great Rog thanks.

I was curious about the scar "Clipper" being made by PBP because although the Vader found on PBP cards have different scars I'm pretty sure they both have the same accessories,(any thoughts?) hence why i thought they where also made by PBP, I've also got a PBP/mecanno Walrusman and PBP Greedo and both these are also in plain baggies.

Going of that pic you've posted the accessories are also different to the Macau Clipper Vaders, at least the capes are anyways. I'll have another look at that "Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures' thread when I get a min and compare them also.
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:33 pm

cantina_patron wrote:
I've checked the paint apps on my loose vaders & the only ones with red overlaid on white had COO's #7 & 9. So nothing new there!

Great CP, so at least at this time we can narrow your MOC down to either #6 #7 or #9 COO's, does the cape have a rough pattern like the PBP variant? Out of curiosity how many Vader Variants have you got, checked?
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:54 pm

snaggletooth wrote:
cantina_patron wrote:

Great CP, so at least at this time we can narrow your MOC down to either #6 #7 or #9 COO's, out of curiosity how many Vader Variants have you got, checked?

I've currently only got 5 loose Vader variants.
Hopefully other members owning loose figures with COO's not already posted will be able to provide some additional information. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:
_Rog_ wrote:
'\

Great info (one like earned Very Happy)!! The mould looks pretty rough indeed.

Look at the pic of the head. Pieces of plastic are extruding everywhere along the mould line.

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 IMG_5803

More collectors with the same observations (deformed right foot, rough mould) for the "Taiwan" Vader?

I can imagine that this mould did not pass Kenner's QC and therefore was dismissed after a relative low number of Vaders was being produced.

Marco , I have a vader with that exact cape.... is very rough in the inside, I thought it was a fake...LOL! ..... so now I know is from the "taiwan" vader!!!
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 4:34 am

snaggletooth wrote:

Great CP, does the cape have a rough pattern like the PBP variant?

The cape on the Palitoy 45 bk appears to be smooth with cross hatching on the inside & square cut corners at the bottom. The end of the lightsaber is flat.
The cape on my Palitoy 65 bk with the tall, narow bubble has a very clear 'leather' texture to the outside with rounded corners at the bottom. The end of the lightsaber is rounded.
Both figures have chest boxes with red paint applied over the white.

Last edited by cantina_patron on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 5:12 am

I don't know whether this will be of any interest. After reading about the Taiwan Vader, I went through my 'spare' Vaders & came across this Hong Kong one which also has a deformed lower left leg (rougher texture & shorter with a smaller foot). Could this be a short shot, or heat damage from a lava flow? Do any of you know of other examples?
[img]The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 Dscn4421[/img]
[img]The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 Dscn4422[/img][img]The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 Dscn4423[/img]
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 am

cantina_patron wrote:
snaggletooth wrote:

Great CP, does the cape have a rough pattern like the PBP variant?

The cape on the Palitoy 45 bk appears to be smooth with cross hatching on the inside & square cut corners at the bottom. The end of the lightsaber is flat.
The cape on my Palitoy 65 bk with the tall, narow bubble has a very clear 'leather' texture to the outside with rounded corners at the bottom. The end of the lightsaber is rounded.
Both figures have chest boxes with red paint applied over the white.

Very interesting mate, of course we can't be 100% sure but I think you can discard #9 for the 45 back but it sounds like it could be #9 that's on the 65back, I do know that the PBP scar variant can also be found on Palitoy cards so it could possibly be that.

I think your club foot vader is a short shot, I've had a ST and AT-AT Commander with the same thing.
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 8:22 am

snaggletooth wrote:

Very interesting mate, of course we can't be 100% sure but I think you can discard #9 for the 45 back but it sounds like it could be #9 that's on the 65back, I do know that the PBP scar variant can also be found on Palitoy cards so it could possibly be that.

I think your club foot vader is a short shot, I've had a ST and AT-AT Commander with the same thing.

Thanks snaggletooth! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:59 pm

Heres a picture of COO9 ( nocooscar) it looks like the paintjobs at kenners factorys was a day to day with big differences

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 Nocooscar
Back to top Go down
frunkstar
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
frunkstar

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 2:01 pm

Just got this today & though I had better get it added here asap for you guys Wink

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 IMGP9222
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 IMGP9224

SW-a baggie & below I have done a photo of the chest plate for you guys currently discussing that

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 IMGP9223
Back to top Go down
_Rog_
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
_Rog_

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 3:26 pm

snaggletooth wrote:
I was curious about the scar "Clipper" being made by PBP because although the Vader found on PBP cards have different scars I'm pretty sure they both have the same accessories,(any thoughts?) hence why i thought they where also made by PBP
The cape with my loose, scarred coo, rectangular feet, thick cape, Clipper Vader does have the thick leather-like textured cape and a red opaque lightsaber. My "PBP Darth Vader (not confirmed)" from Uli’s guide has a thick cape but with a very fine texture, not leather-like, and the lightsaber is more orange-red & a little more transparent. I’m a little hesitant to label either "the PBP variant" until more info. on both Vaders surfaces - just in case neither or both turn out to be PBP made.

Rog.
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 4:29 pm

_Rog_ wrote:
snaggletooth wrote:
I was curious about the scar "Clipper" being made by PBP because although the Vader found on PBP cards have different scars I'm pretty sure they both have the same accessories,(any thoughts?) hence why i thought they where also made by PBP
The cape with my loose, scarred coo, rectangular feet, thick cape, Clipper Vader does have the thick leather-like textured cape and a red opaque lightsaber. My "PBP Darth Vader (not confirmed)" from Uli’s guide has a thick cape but with a very fine texture, not leather-like, and the lightsaber is more orange-red & a little more transparent. I’m a little hesitant to label either "the PBP variant" until more info. on both Vaders surfaces - just in case neither or both turn out to be PBP made.

Rog.

Thanks for the reply Rog, when I asked you if you thought it was made by PBP I wasn't looking for facts mate just your personal opinion, I can totally understand you not wanting to label him though.

Have you ever heard about or come across two so called "PBP" Vader's both with the different capes? One like you have just described and the other having the same accessories as the scar "Clipper", I'd not seen the cape you are on about until I seen one on a "PBP" Vader for sale on ebay about a month ago, I think that had the same one?

Can you compare this one to yours when you get a minute and let me know if you think its the same? Scott
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 0878c486
The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 96440645

Back to top Go down
Serket
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Serket

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Hi,

I've read through this entire thread and also done a search for an answer to my question but can't get a conclusive one so I'll ask here.....can anyone tell me which is the more rarer (harder to come by) COO for Darth Vader......."Made in Taiwan" Vader or "Taiwan" Vader?

Thanks in advance. :-)
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 10:29 pm

The Taiwan one seems to be harder to find compared to the Made in one. I know its on severals hit list to find.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
skywalkerhu
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
skywalkerhu

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 2:41 pm

my vaders
they have a bit different head

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 Dsc01919

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 Dsc01920

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 Dsc01921

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 Dsc01922

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 Dsc01923
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 1:04 am

[QUOTE=BlueDog;18732068]Hey Fella's ,

Would appreciate some opinions on this Vader cape if possible, just looks very different in texture to the one's I already own.

Cheers

[/QUOTE]

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 Vadercape
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader   The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The TIG FOTW Thread: Darth Vader

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next