The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MrKrinkie
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set? Empty
PostSubject: Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set?   Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 8:17 am

Saw this on ebay, are these bags correct for an Early Bird set?

Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set? Ebbaggies

Last edited by shawn_k on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed Live Auctin Link)
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set?   Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:28 am

The baggies look okay to me. Based on what I've seen here's a rundown of each baggie that I've seen in an EB set. I don't recall ever seeing a definitive list of which combos are considered correct though.

DT Luke sw-a, sw-b, sw-c
Chewbacca (Most have green crossbow) sw-a no text, sw-a, sw-b, sw-d
Leia sw-a, sw-b, sw-c, sw-d
R2 (Most in the EB have the dark blue eye) sw-a, sw-b, sw-d

One thing of note is that the seller is kind of vague on the bagged Luke farm boy with the slits in the baggie as it is a regular single telescoping Luke.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Christian
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Christian

PostSubject: Re: Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set?   Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 5:37 am

Hello Mr.K!

I know the seller of this EB kit and, as Shawn pointed out, whilst the baggies are 'correct' for an EB kit it has been pieced together. That said most EB kits are pieced together these days unless you are extremely fortunate to find, or wealthy enough to buy, a kit directly from the original owner (last ungraded one that surfaced on evilBay went for $2500+ IIRC). The purest and earliest set would of course be all SW-A baggies with a DT Luke.

The bagged Luke here is the single telescoping saber NOT a DT in a SW-B baggie. However, the seller is including a loose DT Luke along with the kit which is a nice touch.

Best of luck with your search - EB items IMHO are vastly undervalued considering they are the first ever production pieces and how many nippers in 1978 could have resisted ripping that kit open after waiting so many weeks for it to arrive?!?! I know I wouldn't have been able to contain myself.

Regards,
Christian
Back to top Go down
http://www.gwacrylic.co.uk
MrKrinkie
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set?   Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 7:11 am

Thanks guys for clearing this up. I thought SW-b (verticle MIHK print) had to be the larger print variety, because I have seen this in the earlier EB sets. And are people using ROTJ-j bags to piece togeather a set? You can just cut the bag open and put in a Leia, Chewy or R2.
Back to top Go down
Christian
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Christian

PostSubject: Re: Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set?   Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 8:05 am

MrKrinkie wrote:
Thanks guys for clearing this up. I thought SW-b (verticle MIHK print) had to be the larger print variety, because I have seen this in the earlier EB sets. And are people using ROTJ-j bags to piece togeather a set? You can just cut the bag open and put in a Leia, Chewy or R2.

Yes you are right - SW-B with the larger printed text is the correct baggie for an EB set. However, the font is different on a ROTJ-J and the plastic baggie is also a slightly different material. IIRC the ROTJ-J baggie has slightly thicker plastic than a SW-B hence often finding SW-B with splits. A ROTJ-J is not a valid baggie for EB set. The baggie in the auction you highlighted is a SW-B albeit in poor condition.

Cheers,
Christian
Back to top Go down
MrKrinkie
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set?   Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 4:54 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Vintage-Kenner-1977-Early-Bird-Display-Telescoping-Luke-Skywalker-/120852036325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2357bae5#ht_558wt_1151

In this auction then these look like ROTJ-j verticle MIHK baggies?
Back to top Go down
Christian
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Christian

PostSubject: Re: Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set?   Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 5:20 pm

MrKrinkie wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Vintage-Kenner-1977-Early-Bird-Display-Telescoping-Luke-Skywalker-/120852036325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2357bae5#ht_558wt_1151

In this auction then these look like ROTJ-j verticle MIHK baggies?

Well spotted Mr. K bow

Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set? EB_nonbaggies

The Leia, Luke and R2 baggies are not SW-B baggies (Chewie in a SW-D) and from what I can see are probably made from the leftover ROT-J baggies that were originally opened by AFA with a craft knife and then returned to the submitting customer with their U graded figures. In addition, the pegs have been 'resealed' as the original baggie should be a lot larger (which is quite bizarre for such tiny contents). Don't think the price is too far off it's actual value but certainly it's a horrible frankenstein of a piece Suspect

Did you buy this?

Regards,
Christian
Back to top Go down
MrKrinkie
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set?   Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 5:52 pm

No I did not buy it. I am educating myself so I can buy a legit EB set. I saw one sell on ebay maybe end of November with all SW-a baggies it was a BIN auction for 550.00, did not include the mailer box but I missed it. I am sure who ever saw it 1st jumped right on it. Seller must have needed the cash. I would have bought it if I saw it 1st!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set?   Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are these baggies correct for an Early Bird set?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1