The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

R5-D4 variants?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shabbyblue
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 8:32 pm

A year ago I was skimming through someone's variant checklist, and they mentioned an R5-D4 variant where his sticker is somehow different. I've never seen this mention on anyone else's variant guide, and can't find any photo references on Rebelscum, Lando's Locker, or elswhere. So was this person just confused or making up this variant? Or is there really some little-known variation to the sticker on R5? If so, can someone provide more details and maybe even photo comparisons?
Back to top Go down
b4nth4
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
b4nth4

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Right you are, and I'd agree its a little known variant (just like the power droid variant, but thats a different conversation Smile)

R5-D4 can come with the upper right rectangle (his upper right - upper left if you are looking at him) unfilled (common) or filled in red (variant). It also comes with either a 1977 date stamp or a 1978 date stamp - not sure if you can get both date stamps with both stickers (I try to avoid such combinations as it would drive me mental trying to track them all down!) see pic below
R5-D4 variants? R5d4s
1977 | 1978 | Red rectangle

Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 8:49 pm

There is a year & head size variant & the sticker variant is a square in red. No pictures yet.....
EDIT LOL see above for pictures Embarassed
Back to top Go down
b4nth4
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
b4nth4

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 8:53 pm

got you by 1 minute AJ Razz
Back to top Go down
shabbyblue
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Ah ha! Thanks for the prompt answer. And since you mentioned it.... what's the Power Droid variant? Smile
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Yes do tell what is the Power Droid variant??? Me want to know Love the PD.
Back to top Go down
b4nth4
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
b4nth4

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Here you go Smile
R5-D4 variants? PowerDroid
Standard | Variant

Hard to tell from the pic but they have quite different sculpts. The easiest way to tell is the size of the orange rectangles on the side - much smaller on the variant. Other differences include the shade of blue is slightly lighter, the molded button on top is more defined, and while they are packed away and I can't get at them right now, from memory the date stamp info is different too (#1 & #2 in the COO guide)
Both are Hong Kong COO (I don't have a No COO one yet, but expect these would also be the common sculpt)

I found both R5 and PD on ebay after searching through 100's of listings until I found them (same with my white hood teebo). Since they are relatively unknown variants, I got them for normal prices, but being unknown also makes it hard to tell just how rare or common they really are.
Back to top Go down
doc_atomic
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
doc_atomic

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:11 am

I'm not generally a variant collector, but I love the Power Droid and R5... So thanks guys for turning my life into a living hell as I hunt for these variants. Wink

Great information... thanks for the side-by-side pics.
Back to top Go down
http://astoundingartifacts.blogspot.com
DarthTad
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
DarthTad

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:01 am

I had never heard of either of these variants. TIG STRIKES AGAIN!!
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 2:01 am

An older Bryan thread: http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=3787049&Forum=f1&Words=variant&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=3787049&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=15582&daterange=1&newerval=3&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post3787049
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Some great info, Jeff and AJ!!!

I will join Brian for the hunt.

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:47 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:

Some great info, Jeff and AJ!!!

I will join Brian for the hunt.

I got 4 R5-D4 in decent condition and 3 are different variants, any specific you are looking for?
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Rawlin wrote:

I got 4 R5-D4 in decent condition and 3 are different variants, any specific you are looking for?

Thanks Claes! I will check my R5s tomorrow and PM you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 2:14 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:
Rawlin wrote:

Thanks Claes! I will check my R5s tomorrow and PM you. Very Happy

Np buddy, if it's not worth any large sum, shipping is enough. You have helped me a lot and can consider it a thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
broosevelt
New User
New User

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi, which one do you prefer, the 1977 variant or the 1978 variant? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Hey guys,
I have owned 3 of these R5-D4's with extra Red rectangles. Rumor has it, these were found in Australia. I personally don't know if that is true or not but that is what I have always heard. Of course with that said, only one of mine came from Australia (the other 2 I found here in the US). Finding one in nice shape is quite the challenge though as they always seem to have some issues. I have only seen one super nice one & it went for a ton on eBay. Actually that auction is where I learned about this figure. I sold my duplicates already & they both went pretty fast. I did however get to return one to Australia so that is kind of cool. I have been keeping a eye out for a MOC one but no luck yet.

Last edited by RetroRewindToys on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.retrorewindtoys.com
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 6:05 pm

WOW :clap:

As both a Power Droid and R5 Focus collector this thread is a wealth of info thanks guys?

If anyone manages to find one of these variants I would appriecate a heads up cheers

Great thread Cool
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 7:10 pm

I have seen it once so far since i started collecting last year. And i also think it is an Australian version...might as well check ebay Australia just in case... but i think it might just be more of an urban myth than truth. So far i did not read that anyone was able to identify them to a specific region release....but i could be wrong... But i love this droid very much...i got a few vintage copies of him and the new vintage style card one...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

R5-D4 variants? Empty
PostSubject: Re: R5-D4 variants?   R5-D4 variants? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

R5-D4 variants?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1