The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 3:16 pm

M4K3R1 wrote:
Hi Chris,
i would say that your Vader is the same as the Clipper variant shown in the photos at the top of this page.
Your cape ia also original, it is usually called the "Roguse/Leathery" textured cape.
Cape can be found on Clipper and sometimes also called PBP roguse cape.
I would say that you have a Clipper from a "No text baggie"
It also looks like your cape is an "Error cut cape"
If you look carefully at the bottom edges, about 1 inch from the bottom,
you should notice a very small step in the cut.
Your Vader is in very nice condition.

Thanks very much for confirming my suspicions Oscar, its always good to get a second opinion, especially from a Vader variant collector. Also thank you for clarifying the origins of the cape for me. Indeed you are correct, there is a small indent to the edge of the cape about an inch from the bottom on both sides. Wow i would never have spotted that unless you pointed it out Smile

I was also wondering if there is any difference between the clipper and a PBP variant as I also have this figure with the same coo as the one above but with a smoother cape (which is damaged). He too has a glossy appearance but his feet don't seem to be quite as big as the clipper. Also the spray mask used on his chest plate and belt is different. Is this another clipper variant or could it be something else? :scratch:

[img]Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF3913_zps12a0a718[/img]
[img]Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF3915_zpsc897e7e3[/img]
[img]Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF3914_zps24bbdd68[/img]
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 4:24 am

Hi Chris and Oscar, this Vader is actually COO 8 and not 9 which is the one made by PBP and found in the Cliper Mailer. COO 8 with the H remaining is also PBP made and thats found on PBP and Palitoy cards.
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/COO-GUIDE-h21.htm#Darth%20Vader
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 5:29 am

Hi Scott, hows things.
Could you tell me if the photo from Starwizz, no text clipper baggie with the roguse cape,
is the same as Chris75 Vader

Does this photo show the H scar, or are my eyes playing tricks on me.
I am asuming that this photo has the H scar, which is hard to see.
Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 Dsc03210

I checked my no text clipper baggie, and the coo is infact without the H scar,
and missing the bottom of the G and 9 also.

Would the easiest way to classify these be,
With the H scar = PBP
Same as the H scar, but without the H = Clipper
Both may or not have the second G, or the 9, or both, missing the bottoms.

Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 8:08 am

M4K3R1 wrote:
Hi Scott, hows things.
Could you tell me if the photo from Starwizz, no text clipper baggie with the roguse cape,
is the same as Chris75 Vader

Does this photo show the H scar, or are my eyes playing tricks on me.
I am asuming that this photo has the H scar, which is hard to see.
Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 Dsc03210

I checked my no text clipper baggie, and the coo is infact without the H scar,
and missing the bottom of the G and 9 also.

Would the easiest way to classify these be,
With the H scar = PBP
Same as the H scar, but without the H = Clipper
Both may or not have the second G, or the 9, or both, missing the bottoms.

Hi Oscar, I'm good mate thanks

I've never noticed that before in Dennis picture and thanks for pointing it out, I've never seen another H Scar matched up with the mailer but it does appear to have the H Scar, maybe Dennis can confirm? If so its the same as chris75's

That would mean 5 variants for the mailer Cool

To me these are both PBP no matter what cards or baggies there are found in, the capes are a thick leather pattern and I'm not sure where the roguse cape description comes from, mayby something thats lost in translation.

I have these down as,
PBP Full Scar COO
PBP H-Scar COO
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 3:33 pm

thanks for the clarification guys.
I also received this one in the post today, it looks like coo #17 Glasslite but i'm not sure. The 9 is slightly lower like on the glasslite coo or the 1 is higher, i'm not sure which. But the coo looks more heavily scarred on mine, perhaps its just a coo# 12 as part of the Hong Kong is still visible. Sorry for the poor quality pics but it was dark by the time i got home and the lighting isn't great.
[img]Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF3916_zpsddec5c0d[/img]
[img]Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF3920_zps9a992e24[/img]
Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF3921_zpsb09d2b49
Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF3917_zps8abdc8b0

the saber has the letter M on the hilt. I have just noticed a melt mark near the elbow of his left arm. Also he is fractionally shorter than a regular kenner Vader. Could it be Glasslite? bounce

Last edited by chris.75 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Chris, looks to like a coo#12 figure, scar looks carved.
with a Lili Ledy lettered saber.
I could be wrong, but i dont think the figure is a Lili Ledy figure, its missing the details for LL Figure.
Glasslite is coo#17, scar looks melted, and the saber is slightlly different to yours,
a glasslite Vader also has a unique belt buckle, which is different to yours.
I would say its a HK figure, with LL saber.
If you decide to part with it, i need that letter LL saber. Wink

Edit- Im not sure if this could be a PBP predecessor to the Deep/H scar.
Can anyone please confirm this.

Last edited by M4K3R1 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 am

M4K3R1 wrote:
Chris, looks to like a coo#12 figure, scar looks carved.
with a Lili Ledy lettered saber.
I could be wrong, but i dont think the figure is a Lili Ledy figure, its missing the details for LL Figure.
Glasslite is coo#17, scar looks melted, and the saber is slightlly different to yours,
a glasslite Vader also has a unique belt buckle, which is different to yours.
I would say its a HK figure, with LL saber.
If you decide to part with it, i need that letter LL saber. Wink

pm sent mate.
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 6:58 am

here are some better quality pics of my possible coo#12 /early PBP figure. There does seem to be a little more flashing to his limbs and head than my regular kenner figures, also the mark on the arm i can't tell if this was done later or if it came out of the mould like that. And is it just me, or perhaps the lighting, but do his buttocks look slightly more defined? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

[img]Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF3925_zpsf42fac0b[/img]
[img]Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF3926_zpsce52cf28[/img]
[img]Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF3928_zps702ace45[/img]
[img]Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF3929_zpsd4b4669c[/img]
[img]Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF3932_zps6eefe133[/img]
Back to top Go down
Mr. Legacy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Mr. Legacy

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:35 pm

This Vader's coo is a regular HK but I noticed this this afternoon. On his belt, the standard Vader should have 6 dots on both sides of him but on this particular one Both sides have 3 - 4 dots. Just want some help to see if this is the only one, a true variant, or some mould issue. All Help will be appreciated

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 Dsc01210

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 Dsc01211
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 2:19 am

Looks to me like a factory mold error. If you put up a pic of the coo, I can compare it to my one, but it looks like it could be a coo I.1b on Wolffs 3.0 guide

Link

Last edited by chris.75 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:50 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Legacy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Mr. Legacy

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 7:07 am

Chris here are 2 pics of the coo.

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 Dsc01212

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 Dsc01213
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 8:50 am

Yeah it's a coo I.1a on Wolffs guide, but my coo I.1b has the same sculpt. Which is not unusual as both of these figures derive from the same coo mold family, all of the parts would have been mixed up together during the production run of these two figures. So unfortunately, not a unique sculpt detail, i'm afraid.
Here's my coo I.1b:

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF6889_zpsbf9ab6c4

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF6891_zps3c302531
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Glasslite Second Coo Variant

More info on this variant can be found in Walkie's excellent GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF6918_zps380df853

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF6908_zpseddcc8ce

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF6897_zpsdb6a6a26

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF6913_zpsc0a263ad

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF6845_zpsd86ad93c

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 Untitled-1_zps8a7fee07

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 DSCF6914_zps3c4ade08
Back to top Go down
lfantelo
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 8:17 am

Hi, I've got a doubt concerning the sole "Taiwan" (not "made in Taiwan") Vader. Granted it is Toltoys. But... how can I spot the different versions (I think 3)?
Thanks in advance,
Luis
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:25 am

It is generally thought that the Taiwan only coo is unique to Australia and therefore Toltoys, mainly due to it not really being found anywhere else in significant numbers. But as it is impossible to identify a TW only coo from the front, it is hard to Know for sure as we only have mocs to provide evidence. The TW only coo is identical to the made in Taiwan coo in sculpt and appearance. the cape and saber although unique to the Taiwan figures can also be found on both MITW and TW Vader's.

I believe that there are two known coo examples which can be found on Wolff's excellent 3.0 coo guide:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/coo-guide-3-0/anh/darth-vader/#a

I hope this is helpful to you, but it might be worth giving Oscar a PM as he is the resident expert on all things Vader and has recently sold two TW only Vader's and currently has a third for sale  jawdrop 

Oscar's FS thread
Back to top Go down
lfantelo
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks, Chris Smile . I have been these last days giving some thought to buying that TW, but there is also a MOC Droids C3PO on eBay which is frankly tempting...
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:54 am

These TW Vader's come up very rarely. Personally I believe that the TW Vader is the more rare of the two, so I would definately go for the TW Vader, without a second thought.  You can always pick the moc up at another time, but then I am a bit biast when it comes to Vader  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jt1969
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Thanks for all this info!!! This helps a TON :-)

Can someone post pictures of different types of Vader helmets on these figures???

In other words what COO had different styles of helmets????

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
generalzeldar
New User
New User
generalzeldar

PostSubject: Darth Vader Cape Variants   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 12:31 am

Forgive me for reopening an old thread. I’m actually brand new to this forum, and am desperately hoping someone here might answer a question for me, before I proceed with a purchase; do the capes of vintage action figures vary from variant to variant, like a lightsaber might, or all they for all intents and purposes the same? I’m hoping to add a Taiwan Vader to the collection, but it lacks a cape. If the capes are the same I can always just mix and match it with another Vader I own. The figure’s body is little beat up, but his cape happens to be intact. I just want it to be as authentic as possible, so if there is a difference in the capes, I might as well hold off and try to get a Taiwan version with the original cape already included. Thanks in advance!

- Adam
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 1:15 am

Yes there are many variations of cape for Darth Vader, depending on which factory produced the figure.
There are 3 different cape variations known for the MITW and TW only Vader coos.
you can find more info here (some pics are missing):

https://imperialgunnery.forumotion.com/t5970-darth-vader-taiwan-coo-variant?highlight=taiwan+cape

Back to top Go down
generalzeldar
New User
New User
generalzeldar

PostSubject: Darth Vader Cape Variants   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 10:00 am

chris.75 wrote:
Yes there are many variations of cape for Darth Vader, depending on which factory produced the figure.
There are 3 different cape variations known for the MITW and TW only Vader coos.
you can find more info here (some pics are missing):

https://imperialgunnery.forumotion.com/t5970-darth-vader-taiwan-coo-variant?highlight=taiwan+cape

Thank you so much for your reply! The thread you shared is extremely informative and helpful. It really means a lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread   Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Darth Vader Figure Variants Thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2