The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories Empty
PostSubject: A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories   A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi, I was curious whether there is any information available on internet about the factories where our Star Wars toys were produced many years ago.
I found a few short movies, which I thought might be nice to share. Though short, they give some interesting insight in the production process.

Assembling and packaging of TIE Fighters:

Inside the Palitoy factory:

Note how the Zuckuss action figures were thrown onto a big pile rather careless before being sealed behind their bubble. Be careful ladies, these need to be AFA graded some day!!!

This is a nostalgic tour around the former Kenner headquarters and factories in Cincinnati. At chewseum.com you will also find links to a former factory in Toronto and the Meccano headquarters in Paris.

I could not find much more. Is there more info about the Star Wars factories out there?
Hopefully there is a lot more to enjoy.

Last edited by Dr Dengar on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

PostSubject: Re: A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories   A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 5:10 pm

I love seeing these, What great nostalgia
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories   A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 5:33 pm

Here an old TIG thread that you may find interesting Marco Smile

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/vintage-chat-f1/lili-ledy-factory-t319.htm?highlight=ledy+factory

Cheers Jay

Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
rebojazz

PostSubject: Re: A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories   A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 9:15 am

Lol, love the LL pic Wink

There isn't much information out there other than a few internal videos from the early years. Even less is known once they moved production to factories in China other than the fact the molds were dumped into the ocean (supposedly) in the early 90's. I had a name of one of the factories, I'd have to dig it out, from some research I did about 5 years ago. As far as any videos from China... never seen any.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories   A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 9:33 am

I had forgotten about that Ledy factory hunt ! Never got much further did we Sad
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories   A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:31 pm

jaymassive619 wrote:
Here an old TIG thread that you may find interesting Marco Smile

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/vintage-chat-f1/lili-ledy-factory-t319.htm?highlight=ledy+factory

Cheers Jay

Indeed Jay, very nice thread, thx!

rebojazz wrote:
Lol, love the LL pic Wink

There isn't much information out there other than a few internal videos from the early years. Even less is known once they moved production to factories in China other than the fact the molds were dumped into the ocean (supposedly) in the early 90's. I had a name of one of the factories, I'd have to dig it out, from some research I did about 5 years ago. As far as any videos from China... never seen any.

Rebojazz, would be great if you could come up with some info from your previous research.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories   A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 7:48 am

A 1983 Eyewitness News Report on the sales of ROTJ toys.

I like the scene at 1:46: The reporter asking a guy “You’re buying Star Wars toys?!”, while thinking “f*cking retard!!”.
Actually this guy had some vision and is probably sitting on gold nowadays. Anybody knows this guy by chance?

Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories   A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 8:01 am

The investment man is actually Brian from Brians toys, late in the 90's Brian discovered a time machine that could take him back in time to buy at retail and maximise his profits by thousands, however since coming back to the future he is still waiting for his investments to actually sell at his inflated prices.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories   A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 8:27 am

LOL! All I know is Brian needs to share the wealth with that time machine. I'd go back and bitch slap myself for opening mine up and blowing them all to pieces in the 80's. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
soren
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
soren

PostSubject: Re: A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories   A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 11:02 am

I have this book . It has no pictures from the factorys , but there is alot of stuff about the Kenner company.
It is a nice book. http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Concept-Screen-Collectible/dp/0811801012
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories   A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A look into the past: Vintage Star Wars Factories

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1