The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rocketdog
New User
New User

Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber? Empty
PostSubject: Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber?   Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2021 2:15 pm

Hey there collecting gurus...

I have an original Luke Skywalker with double-telescoping lightsaber that I'm putting up for auction on eBay later today, but I have no idea what it might be worth. I've seen items like this sell for anywhere between $100 and $1,200 or more.

The one I'm selling is in near-mint condition, with a nearly perfect lightsaber (no kinks or bends in it of any kind). So I'm assuming that means I should expect to receive a price towards the higher end of that price range? Perhaps even more?

I just want to be sure I don't get ripped off because I know I will never be able to replace it with another one in such fine condition. Can anyone give me an idea of what I should expect to get for it?

Thanks for your input!
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber?   Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2021 2:58 pm

You can't post pictures for a few days, it's a filter in the forum load to avoid spamming.

A good DT Luke will be $800 to $1200 assuming it's complete , full tip. The biggest worry is repro.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
rocketdog
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber?   Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2021 3:22 pm

The plot thickens...

I had one bidder ask me for more photos, and then he questioned it's authenticity, saying he thinks it's a Revalveit repro. I cancelled his bid at his request, because I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to rip them off. So I'm hoping to get your opinion on the lightsaber for this item.

Now, I'd never even heard of such a thing as a "repro" lightsaber, or the name "Revalveit" for that matter. I'm just a guy who happened upon a collection of old Star Wars stuff that was in a relative's basement since the late 1970s / early 1980s. These people are not collectors, and they know nothing about anything they had. I can be 99.9% certain that there's no possibility they would have replaced the lightsaber, or even have known how to do so or where to obtain a repro if they wanted one.

I found the Luke figure tucked into a Kenner Mini-Action Figure Collector's Case along with 20 other action figures. In fact, I was all set to put the whole case up for auction when I happened to learn that DT lightsabers are rare and highly collectible. That's why I put Luke up for auction separately.

Unless Kenner was packaging repro lightsabers in their carded action figures for retail sale in 1977/78, then I don't see how this could possibly be a repro lightsaber.

With that said, here are two photos I took. They're about the best I can get with my cell phone, so if better detail is needed let me know and I'll dig out my DSLR and take some even more detailed close-up photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ugK6TdbtFJ9WBEQNA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WatLuFjaEt38MZLt7

You can view the eBay auction item here (auction ends Sunday):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324617905606

Your thoughts? If the consensus is 100% that this is a repro, then I will be very, very perplexed and confused, because there will be no logical explanation for how that could possibly be.

Thanks for your feedback...
Back to top Go down
juliusjammer
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber?   Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2023 4:06 pm

I know this is old but I want to know what happened.
Back to top Go down
rocketdog
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber?   Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2023 6:56 pm

What happened is that I sent it in to CAS for grading - which cost me $99 for this item - and they rejected it claiming that it was a repro. Which is impossible, since it had been stored in my parents' basement since the early 1980s, and back then I had never even heard of repro parts for these toys, nor would I have known where to get one even if I did. Plus they didn't refund my money or give me a credit.

They later rejected a couple more of my action figures, claiming that they had been "touched up" with paint. I NEVER altered my action figures in any way other than gluing the weapon into some of their hands. I think they misinterpreted a bad paint job from the factory as an "alteration".

Makes you question the relevance of their ratings if they make blunders like this.
Back to top Go down
juliusjammer
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber?   Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2023 7:02 pm

Bummer. I was hoping you made bank
Back to top Go down
Wyn
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber?   Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2023 8:36 pm

I also have a Luke Double Telescoping Light Saber figure from the original Early Bird Set. Looking for accurate pricing has been quite daunting. One place says mint condition carded Luke is worth $1,000 and loose is worth $800; mint condition carded Obi Wan is $30,000 and loose is worth $800; mint condition carded Darth Vader is worth $30,000 and loose is worth $800. Meanwhile, another "expert" whose auction company had sought $100,000  for a mint carded DT Luke, told me that a loose Luke is fairly common and worth only $1,000 to $3,000, while a loose Obi-Wan and Darth Vader are each $10,000 to $20,000. Go Figure. This "expert" told me that the DT Luke is fairly common. If that is the case I wish someone could explain to me how an auction company can expect a mint DT Luke to sell for $100,000 in 2022 and then claim that Obi-Wan and Darth Vader are far more rare, but worth $80,000+ in 2023. It seems to me if Obi-Wan and Darth Vader are more rare than Luke they should both command a higher price than Luke did a year ago.
Back to top Go down
http://Star-Wars-Articles.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber?   Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Value of Luke with double-telescoping lightsaber?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1