The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A True Holy Grail

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dontbedoindope
New User
New User
dontbedoindope

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 12:06 am

This PBP Luke Skywalker is a true holy grail and one of the rarest MOC figures on the planet. I found it out of sheer luck locally in Texas from someone who lived in Spain as a child. From what I understand there may be only one other Farmboy on a PBP cardback known out there to exist (of course some may remain “in the dark”). The figure itself is so rare there is only a handful known of in collections loose! A few have been found on German and Palitoy cards but the Toy Toni scandal raises questions about their authenticity (not the figures or the cardbacks, but the factory seals of course; I’ve seen one with a Kenner bubble!).

It is believed that the cracked torso is due to a manufacturing defect in Spain related to the “flashing” not being removed from the head pin before attaching it to the body. Over time, the torso and head pin flashing harden because the flexibilizers (additives that give rigid plastic flexibility) diffuse out of the material, making them very brittle. So once all this takes place, any shaking from transit will just break the torso.

The figure was actually made in Spain; it was not imported from Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Mexico. It has a scarred out COO. One theory as to why they are so rare loose is that the torsos probably all broke (completely apart) and people just threw them away! I am still learning about this piece, so if you have any information to share or if you know someone out there with one of these, I’d love to hear from you. Thanks to all the guys on here who helped me learn about PBP and foreign variants in general.

For higher quality pictures see here:
https://imgur.com/a/IToHu

I posted those below in the Imperial Gunnery database for continuity's sake.

A True Holy Grail Img_7210
A True Holy Grail Img_7211
A True Holy Grail Img_7213
A True Holy Grail Img_7212

Last edited by dontbedoindope on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 4:37 am

WOW Terry what a piece of art!! Congrats on such an amazing figure!!

I would say that most of the torsos of those figures are broken even if you never "sake" the figure, just with a slight change on the temperature conditions.

The plastic used by PBP in those torsos seems to be heavier than Kenner , with more density so the mould details can be registered better, but for sure they are more breakable in general terms.

On a side note, its curious that your figure comes with a saber with plane shape where the "body" saber joint the long tip, its weird because its believed that those sabers are more common with early production figures and this one comes from the late production of PBP

Thanks for sharing !!

Best wishes
Javi
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 5:11 am

Terbow?

Jaw dropping item  Shocked
Back to top Go down
dontbedoindope
New User
New User
dontbedoindope

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 6:01 am

Thanks Javi. I'll check the saber for you later today. Wolff (wbobafett) and several of the guys on this board really taught me a lot with their PBP discussion thread. I have to give them major kudos. Thanks again guys.

Yes James it's TerBow.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 1:44 pm

I am very happy you finally made a limelight Terry. You know I love this piece and it deserves beeing limelighted!! Wink
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 2:02 pm

Outstanding man, really a site to behold!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Outstanding piece! :clap:

Thanks for sharing here.

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 4:45 pm

A truly amazing piece, congratulations on acquiring it :clap: :clap: :clap:
also a very interesting and informative read on what causes the torso to crack, thank you very much for sharing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Very cool figure indeed and Like Chris said a interesting and informative read about the torso and how they crack. learn something new I have indeed Smile
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 11:37 am

That must have been an amazing feeling to find something like this. Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics and info cheers
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 5:21 pm

Awesome man, truly awesome! cheers
Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 8:48 pm

I know this is an old thread but affraid affraid awesome
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 12:30 pm

hellhippie wrote:
I know this is an old thread but affraid affraid awesome

Bill, sometimes digging into old threads is a GOOD thing. Terry for sure has a rare figure/card combo here and bumping this gave some newer guys the chance to see it (and some of us older ones a reminder of it). cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A True Holy Grail Empty
PostSubject: Re: A True Holy Grail   A True Holy Grail I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A True Holy Grail

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1