The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? Empty
PostSubject: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Hey guys,

I really want a modern Stormtrooper that is the most ANH or ESB screen accurate, fully articulated and just a straight up trooper (no special designations like sandtrooper or whatever else might be out there) from any 3 3/4 inch line.

I have tried to look over 100s upon 100s of pics and I can't figure out which one seems to look the most accurate.

So I am hoping that someone here might have a bit of modern figures expertise and can point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
JesseVader08
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
JesseVader08

Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 2:38 am

I've certainly collected my fair share of modern figures over the years, so I have a bit of an idea.  

The 2011 Vintage Collection Stormtrooper is very good, especially if you're looking for the most articulation and features.  He has ball joints in his neck, shoulders, elbows, torso, hips, knees, and ankles; a removable helmet (good or bad depending on your opinion); a working holster; and great accuracy (I mean his sculpt, not his shooting ability) .  The drawback is the ball joints in the hips seem to stand out a bit, plus you have to be sure to grab the version that has the more accurate paint apps on the helmet.

Some people don't like the removable helmet or those child-bearing hips and so I think the 2009 Legacy Collection is a great choice.  It's still extremely posable while looking screen accurate.

The recently released 2013 Black Series trooper is pretty good compromise -- ball jointed hips for extreme poses but no removable helmet.  I'm not as big a fan of the sculpt of this helmet though, it just looks a little 'off' to me.
Back to top Go down
http://galacticheroes.wordpress.com
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 4:03 am

Jesse has given a good overview of the pro's & cons of the 3 most movie accurate Stormtroopers. And I have to agree that the Legacy Collection sculpt is most likely to tick the right boxes for you.
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks guys!

I'll take a look at them and it is sounding like perhaps the 2009 one is the one I want if the extra joints make it look a little wonky.

How accurate do you think the Luke or Han ones are when they have their helmets on? I've just saw them and its tough to gauge on the few pics I have seen and most of them show the figure with the helmet off.

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 10:43 am

The only loose one I've handled (mine are still carded) was a Han, and the helmet was soft & rubbery, as I recall it also didn't hold it's shape very well. I think this was a Legacy Collection figure.

Last edited by cantina_patron on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 10:44 am

Thanks, Steve.

Yeah, then I'll probably stick with the 2009 one. Smile

Cool and thanks again!!!
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 11:29 am

Are you working on a diorama Jay, or is it for display as a stand alone figure?
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 11:33 am

Hey man...

Not working on anything. I just kinda want a really cool looking Stormtrooper to put on my desk and hold my cell phone charging cable so it doesn't keep falling off the back. Razz
Figure I need decent articulation to make it work OK and don't want it to be fugly.   Stormie Smiley 

hehe
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 11:41 am

Cool, it will look great next to your saber e-Cig.  Very Happy 

If you have any problem getting a 2009 Stormie, let me know & I'll do what I can to help.
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Hey Jason

I know you were looking for a 3 3/4" figure, but I have a loose 12" 1997 Hasbro Sandtrooper that I was about to put up for sale.  It's been here collecting dust for a few years. He would not only be able to hold your charge chord, but possibly your phone as well. Seeing my wife has taken my camera to work with her again.  I have resorted to stealing a picture off of the web.  The one pictured is MIB, but mine is loose with the original elastics holding the gun into place.  If your interested, just let me know and I'll make you a good deal. Very Happy 

Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? Sandtr10
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Hey Clint,

As much as I appreciate the offer, I'm gonna stick with the 3 3/4. I tested with my Black series sandtrooper and even at 6", its a tad too much. tongue

But I do appreciate the offer man!

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Not a problem. I was just thinking large scale. Possibly turning his backpack into a phone holder. lol! 
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 12:55 pm

the Legacy is good though.....

I hate the soft and removable helmets....always look odd so the TVC is out!!

I have to say that the VOTC is pretty similar to Legacy but the paint to the helmet is better IMO....VOTC is my favourite! Hard to find and tends to yellow.....sigh Sad

http://www.rebelscum.com/OTC-Vstorm.asp
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 1:03 pm

haha
Thanks Wolff!

I am torn on them and I guess without seeing them side by side in my hand it is tough.
SO........... eBay was nice enough to give me a $20 coupon so I just picked up both the OTC and VC.
I'll end up selling the one I don't like so what the hell... its Friday! Razz

Thanks again fellas!
I'll follow up when I have them and see what one I want to use as my CordTrooper. lol!

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????   Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure???? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions wanted: Most screen accurate MODERN 3 3/4 Stormtrooper figure????

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1