The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 11:43 am

wbobafett wrote:
Most GL figures with soft heads (Han, Leia, Vader and Luke) have cracks in their necks.

You can also find this one Poch figures as well...which is in both cases a sign of the poor production! What leads to those is the "flashing" on the pins of the heads. These wer not removed, because. who cares...they cant been seen anyway!!!"

The problem is that the softer plastic gets hard in time. the flexibilizers tend to diffuse out of the plastic. So if you move the heads now the necks (that also got harder and more brittle in time) will crack!

So Jay: PLEASE do not move your heads on GL figures...this is russian roulette my friend!!

Leia looks in that way because flashing prevents the head being staright forward...IMO.. Wink

PS: I am in for all your spare Stef...you know what I am looking for if you ever have done research and want to get rid of those Very Happy:D

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked 

Thanks for the heads up, Wolff! I guess my video plans are off the table! haha

Makes sense and I should have thought before going for the humor first. Fortunately she is OK. Smile

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 11:59 am

psybertech wrote:
Mine actually has a bit of the Exorcist in her...

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 12306261723_9a0be95cd0_z

Arrrggghhh!!!

wbobafett wrote:
Most GL figures with soft heads (Han, Leia, Vader and Luke) have cracks in their necks.

You can also find this one Poch figures as well...which is in both cases a sign of the poor production! What leads to those is the "flashing" on the pins of the heads. These wer not removed, because. who cares...they cant been seen anyway!!!"

Leia looks in that way because flashing prevents the head being staright forward...IMO.. Wink

Thanks Wolff, poor production indeed. I thought i'd better ask first as I only own 3 different COO leia's! (note to self, buy more Leia's!!!)

wbobafett wrote:
PS: I am in for all your spare Stef...you know what I am looking for if you ever have done research and want to get rid of those Very Happy:D

Wolff, I am a very unselfish collector and as each character entry is completed my spares are traded/sold on to other collectors. Nobody needs duplicates Wink

wbobafett wrote:
The clip on Snowtrooper:

It wasnt for great use on those figures because they came without cape. IMO these were pulled so roughly from the steelmolds that these eventually all broke already there. It would also explain why they are mostly broken to the right (on their left side). The same workers probably always freed them from the steelmolds in the same way Wink

I have seen also some Uzay that are always broken to the right (their left side).....funny.... Very Happy

Thanks Wolff, again we share similar theories on poor production techniques. However finding a sealed one would be the icing on the cake.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:01 pm

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 XVmKJ3y

One from the family album. Poor Han didn't listen to Uncle Wolff.  Sad 
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:59 am

Snowtrooper COO's

By far the hardest Glasslite COO to find is the snowtrooper imo.

Shown below are two examples of both the left and right leg. I've tried to highlight the differences with the scar but it's a nightmare to photograph, I hope you're able to see them clearly enough?

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 WukWmfv

COO with lower 1980 (shown on the left above)

COO with higher 1980 (shown on the right above)

Back to top Go down
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 2:28 pm

walkie wrote:

ACCESSORIES:
The Glasslite Chewbacca came with a v1 Zuckuss Rifle compared to a v2 Chewbacca Bowcaster. As Glasslite produced the POTF and Droids lines at the same time it should be considered that the Chewbacca & Jord Dusat Rifles came from the same factory stock and should be considered identical.

Chewbacca Rifle: Glasslite Top / Kenner Bottom
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 0wJqisa

Chewbacca Rifle: Glasslite Top / Kenner Bottom
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 LqfhnfE

EXTRA:
Comparision photos showing the Glasslite v1 Zuckuss Rifle compared to Kenner v1 Zuckuss Rifle. The Glasslife version appears to have no obvious mould differences  therefore a simple three point checklist can be addopted to identify a genuine Glasslite Rifle.

- Finish = Shiny
- Length = Longer that v1 Kenner
- Water Test = Sink when tapped

Chewbacca Rifle: Comparison
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 H4R0GNQ

Chewbacca Rifle: Comparison
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 ZbFBjfK

Chewbacca Rifle: Length Test
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 7Ss43xb

Chewbacca Rifle: Length Test
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 WglqoQk

DIFFERENCES:
Compared to the Kenner Rifle, the Glasslite Rifle is:

- Shiny finish
- Larger flashing marks on the top of the rifle
- Longer in length
- Sinks during water test

WATER TEST:
- Both Rifles float when placed in water
- Glasslite Rifle sinks when tapped

Chewbacca Rifle: Water Test
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 Nw6TkIr

Chewbacca Rifle: Water Test
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 Z0ImOQI

Just a quick remind of an old discussion thread about the Glasslite Chewies variant:

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3928-glasslite-chewie-variantthoughts?highlight=chewie+glasslite

in that thread i took a pict of both known examples of the GL rifles variants:
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 Glassl10
I thought this could be useful.
Cheers
Javi
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 3:45 pm

javiswspain wrote:
Just a quick remind of an old discussion thread about the Glasslite Chewies variant:

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3928-glasslite-chewie-variantthoughts?highlight=chewie+glasslite

in that thread i took a pict of both known examples of the GL rifles variants:
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 Glassl10
I thought this could be useful.
Cheers
Javi

Javi, thank you for reminding me of that thread. Including my GL Jord Dusat I've owed 5 original GL rifles whilst compiling this guide, all 5 have been 1) Longer, 2) Glossy and 3) have SUNK during the water test. The most interesting comment is by Henrik...

HWR wrote:
I was discussing those Glasslite weapons with Kenneth this past Saturday. I told me he have both carded, but there was a small crack in the bubble on Chewbacca and Snowtrooper, so the weapons could be removed. He called me today and said he did the water test on the two weapons and asked if I would post the results here.

Snowtrooper: sinks
Chewbacca (silvery version): floats

So it seems like both this silvery version and the shiny version (which sinks) are legitimate Glasslite weapons.

Interestingly he states a "slivery" version which comes from split bubble of kenneth's FLOATS. Now I do own a 6th example which came from Brazil however several other items in the same collection were fake, therefore I can not credit the legitimacy of the 6th rifle.

This rifle whilst colour wise is slightly greyer/silvery? than a KENNER rifle fails two of the test criteria, 1) length same as KENNER, 2) it FLOATS

It's not unknown for KENNER items to end up in Brazil and Brazilian auction sites are littered with KENNER items, in fact I recently found a PBP Tie-Fighter Pilot with AT-AT Emblems in Argentina in played with condition, how bizarre is that??

Now the whole float v's sink scenario boils down to the density of the plastic used, if the desnity is less then water it floats and vice-versa, so why would Glasslite use two different types of plastic?

The chart below shows typical density's for several types of common plastics.

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 Density_table

So the question are?

1) Was Kenneth's (his ears will be burning!) rifle replaced. If he can remove it so could the previous owner. I will need to contact Kenneth to investigate.

2) Why would Glasslite use two types of plastic? I believe they only produced the star wars range for 2-3 years so the life span was very limited.

3) Rifle length, the rifles appear to be the same mold, so is the length purely down to shrinkage due to the different plastics used?

Once again thank you for your comments Javi, I never shy away from constructive criticism or queries.
Back to top Go down
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Thanks for the reply Stef,BTW i received the GL Chewie, now i have both stamps and both rifles again , thanks!

Back to the topic, i bought both of my rifles from a Brazilian source, as Lee did as well... and Kenneth have a carded example( opened bubble), all of those rifles are made some kind of metallic/silverish plastic, whatever you want to call it , but different from a regular Kenner rifle.I have only one of those silverish rifles BUT I have had dozens of Kenner rifles and NO ONE like the one which comes with my GL Chewie.

Could you please tell how many possibilities there are that a brazilian seller bought a kenner rifle for completing his GL Chewie ,so he can sell it for more money? i know the reply:MANY... but now, how many possibilities there are that 3 different brazilian buyers receive from 3 different "US sellers"the same silverish and SCARCE rifle in the 3 examples??

You are asking why Glasslite would use two types of plastic in only 2-3 years of production?i don't know why but, you would have the reply on your own guides(?)in your guide you can find:

-(at least) two types of plastic used on: the face of Luke farm boy ,Leia, Han and in the body of Chewie

-Different paint application on :Luke,Leia ,Han,Snowie etc….

-(at least)2 different stamps in most of them…

-2 different capes on Leia…

So, i can't understand why you can't imagine that they would never use two kinds of plastic on the Chewie rifle(?)
BTW :you said that your 6th rifle from brazilian source is the silverfish one(like the ones we have found) and  no a typical Kenner one, right?the fact that the rest of the items on that lot were fake, doesn't means that the silverish  rifle should be fake too, right? Wink

Just my two cents
thanks
Javi

Last edited by javiswspain on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Javi, thanks for your comments, after all this is a discussion thread Smile

I agree that the floating rifles look different to Kenner/Lili Ledy.

As Lee will be the easiest logistically to deal with I will contact him to organise a side by side comparison of mine and his floating rifles to see if they match.

I'm guessing no one has done this yet?

Last edited by walkie on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 3:41 am

Great effort Stef an Javi!!! Very Happy

Here is a cracked Luke taht once belonged to me:

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 FSWBOBA_35

You better should NEVER try to move the head! Wink
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 7:54 am

Kenneth has been kind enough to send me this images to share of his 2nd variant Chewbacca Rifle...

Kenneth_B wrote:
Here are the promised pics of the Glasslite "alternative/second" variant Chewie rifle. It passed the water test (floats).

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 6gzeC24

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 8E6vp4E

Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 8:21 am

Alternative GL Rifle Episode I

Comparison photos of my Alternative GL Rifle (TBC) next to a Kenner v1 Zuckuss Rifle.

Chewbacca Rifle: Comparison Alternative GL & Kenner
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 43cI1hp

Chewbacca Rifle: Comparison Alternative GL & Kenner
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 HXId1x4

Chewbacca Rifle: Alternative GL Flashing
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 ZKkazO9

DIFFERENCES:
Compared to the Kenner Rifle, the Alternative GL Rifle has:

- Silvery finish

SIMILARITIES:

- Length same as Kenner (Tolerance band 65.4mm - 65.5mm)
- Both V1 mold
- Both FLOAT during water test

NOTES:

I was going to include flashing as a difference as all three examples have this, however so does Javi's Kenner Sad

Last edited by walkie on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 2:49 pm

Nice Picts Stef, IMHO looks very similar  to the original color of the "second" variant of the GL Chewie rifle i own my self
do you think is Kenner??
Back to top Go down
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 2:55 pm

walkie wrote:

I was going to include flashing as a difference as all three examples have this, however so does Javi's Kenner Sad

i don't gets the point….
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 3:20 pm

Javi,

Let me explain as it appears things are getting lost in translation.

javiswspain wrote:
Nice Picts Stef, IMHO looks very similar  to the original color of the "second" variant of the GL Chewie rifle i own my self
do you think is Kenner??

Not at all, the bottom rifle is labelled "Kenner" the top rifle remains un-named.

javiswspain wrote:
walkie wrote:

i don't gets the point….

My "Silvery" rifle has a lot of flashing on the rifles muzzle, Kenneths rifle has some flashing and so does yours. So all 3 "silvery" rifles have flashing on the muzzle.

I thought this may have been a way of identifying them as well as their colour, but when I saw your Kenner photo which also have flashing, therefore this is not unique.

I checked my Kenner rifles and all 4 other examples did not have flashing on the muzzle.

:bump: PS my gun will shortly be sent to Lee, so he can compare it to his.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 9:16 am

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 ZxT929S

Han Solo

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 36SemVj
COO images used with the permission of wbobafett. His coo guide can be found here http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/coo-guide-3-0/

NOTE:
The Glasslite Han Solo belongs to COO family #II this family contains two main COO marking variations.

The original mold tooling was stamped "HONG KONG" where the production for the earliest version of this figure took place. During the products life and possibly as part of a cost reduction exercise production was moved. There the country of origin "HONG KONG" was filled in, leaving a scar where the "HONG KONG" stamps once where.

This version of mold tooling was later shipped to Brazil and used by Glasslite and is therefore common to both the Kenner & Glasslite.

A Kenner figure with an identical COO is used for the comparison.

Han Solo: Glasslite on the right
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 EkZsPnB

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 V5p90tx

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 3IBdbIT

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 9JPjvIx

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 TfmlZt0

Han Solo: Glasslite on top
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 SPMLvdV

COO Comparison: Glasslite in the middle and on the right
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 WBRlkoa

DIFFERENCES:
Compared to his Kenner counterpart, the Glasslite Han Solo has:

- Moulded in harder plastic
- A scarred COO (2 destinced versions)
- Pale face, neck and hands
- Lighter reddish hair
- Lighter brown eyebrows
- Brown eyes (Kenner has black)
- Hand painted and hands
- Excess mould flashing
- Packaged with a solid black Jawa blaster

EXTRAS:

Glasslite: Poor quality paint work on hands
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 2rNOflE

Glasslite: Poor quality paint work on legs
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 5NmQ24c

Glasslite: Poor quality paint work on legs
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 CjlYn71

Glasslite: Mould Flash
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 FhOfemi

Poor QA also resulted in minor differences between batches.

- Differences in paint applications
- Hand painted & spray masked red strips on the legs
- Mould Flash (seen here on the legs)

ACCESSORIES:
The Glasslite Han Solo came with a v5 solid black Jawa blaster compared to the black/blue rebel blaster which came with the Kenner figure. Note that the v5 Jawa blaster mould is identical to the silver version which came with the Princess Leia action figure.

Han Solo Blaster: Comparision
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 XdP2HZZ

Han Solo Blaster: Comparision
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 V5UhKVq

EXTRAS:
Comparision photos showing the Glasslite solid black and silver v5 Jawa blasters.

Glasslite: Jawa Blaster Comparision
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 K8QsUKB

Glasslite: Jawa Blaster Comparision
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 BDAw3pM

WATER TEST:
- Both Blasters float when placed in water
- Neither Blaster will sink if tapped

Glasslite: Jawa Blaster Water Test
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 APupqhz
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 12:55 pm

Capes Problems Episode III

WTF were Glasslite's cape makers on?, I still haven't found two examples the same size!!!!

Glasslite: Vader Cape Comparison
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 EArKoWF

Glasslite: Vader Cape Comparison
GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 QeXS2jx

Example 1 - 105mm x 85mm
Example 2 - 107mm x 87mm

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 Exk91tp
Glasslite: Leia Cape Comparison

Example 1 - 81mm x 51mm
Example 2 - 82mm x 52mm
Example 3 - 84mm x 52mm
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 1:05 pm

loving the progress here!

Cant help on the capes, but thinking of it Wink
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Hey Stef,

Not Glasslite, but I have seen in some cases that this is also seen on Asian Leia Bespin capes.

You mostly see a 1mm deviation in any direction (or both) and 2mm are not uncommon by a long shot. 3mm to 5mm are also possible that I have seen.

In my mind for these deviations I think there are three factors to consider:

1) the material used might have a different stretching/elasticity characteristic that when the die cutter cuts into the material, a different amount of snap back/shrinkage can occur from batch to batch.

2) another consideration is the sharpness of the die cutter.
In theory, when new you could yield smaller sizes and after time, wear and re-sharpening, the capes could get larger over time as well.

3) This one is a "I don't know, maybe?" thought..... Since we do not know how the material is placed into the cutter, another possibility might exist.
If the die cutter only cuts three parts, the two sides and the rounded top, then the bottom could be the edge of the sheet/roll being cut.
If that is a possibility, then alignment and skewing could cause irregular heights.
This point is just a thought I had when thinking about cost savings. If you have a pre-cut straight edge, why cut off some of the material since it would just be wasted money so they might order the exact height they want (e.g. 90mm) and just trim three sides. Knowing manufacturer's tolerances can vary in terms of pass and fail, you could have sheets or rolls that you receive anywhere from 88mm to 92mm).
Just something else to consider.

So not sure exactly, but that's what I have chalked up the Leia Cape's subtle difference to at least.

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 1:14 pm

...not sure but could it be these were cut "hot" so that edges get smooth?? Maybe the capes then were exposed to shrinkage....

As Jay said...it is well known that Kenner capes also do have different sizes...same capes of course. But i have to say GL seems to be extreme!

edit:

OR.....they were cutted in staples! If you think of many layers and have ever tried to cut staples of "softer" materials you will see that those all have different sizes....they slip, move and get pressed very differently! I think I prefer that solution.

Seriously though. If cutted in staples with kind of a shrapned form this will come out: the layer to the bottom will be the "smallest"...the layer on top the "biggest"

Last edited by wbobafett on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 1:17 pm

wbobafett wrote:
But i have to say GL seems to be extreme!
Children with scissors?  Rolling Eyes tongue 

Sorry!!!! Not trying to offend anyone!

cheers!
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 1:20 pm

wbobafett wrote:
OR.....they were cutted in staples! If you think of many layers and have ever tried to cut staples of "softer" materials you will see that those all have different sizes....they slip, move and get pressed very differently! I think I prefer that solution.

Seriously though. If cutted in staples with kind of a shrapned form this will come out: the layer to the bottom will be the "smallest"...the layer on top the "biggest"

hrrmmmm

Interesting thought! I wonder how many they would do at once then? 5? 10? More?

Man, I wish a video existed like the Palitoy factory one with a glimpse of the cape production (actually a video every step of production for many different figures and accessories).

Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 1:35 pm

...if I see the differneces on glassite I would say in hundreds!
Back to top Go down
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 3:00 pm

walkie wrote:
Javi,

Let me explain as it appears things are getting lost in translation.

javiswspain wrote:
do you think is Kenner??

Not at all, the bottom rifle is labelled "Kenner" the top rifle remains un-named.

javiswspain wrote:
walkie wrote:

i don't gets the point….

My "Silvery" rifle has a lot of flashing on the rifles muzzle, Kenneths rifle has some flashing and so does yours. So all 3 "silvery" rifles have flashing on the muzzle.

I thought this may have been a way of identifying them as well as their colour, but when I saw your Kenner photo which also have flashing, therefore this is not unique.

I checked my Kenner rifles and all 4 other examples did not have flashing on the muzzle.

:bump: PS my gun will shortly be sent to Lee, so he can compare it to his.
thanks for explaining it to me Stef, i got it now Smile
Nice thread btw, i am learning a lot here
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 3:13 pm

@Javi, thanks and don't worry the V2 glasslite chewie rifle is been worked on on the background, and should be added to the guide soon. Wink

@Wolff & Jay...This site has some great videos....

http://www.gct-online.co.uk/die-cutting/die-cutting-explained.asp
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 3:03 am

...I just remembered a very old thread on RS were someone had a "double" Leia cape. He noticed it can be peeled into two capes. If I rember right the pattern was on the outside and both smoothe sides sticked together...

So the were defintley cutted in staples the question is how many were cutted at once??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD  - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next