The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What else do you collect?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ki4gsz
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
ki4gsz

What else do you collect? Empty
PostSubject: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 8:15 am

I've been wondering what else you might collect.

For me, I've been playing Magic:The Gathering for more years than I care to mention (but I did buy Alphas & Betas new) and having even played in the World championships a couple of times (got wiped out pretty quickly, but hey, the trip was fun) so I've collected the award cards, oversized, foils, etc... as mementos, since the early 90's...

My "other" collection is the oddball stuff that I run across (jackalope mounted, canned bacon, baby alien in a jar, etc...).

So what else (besides SW stuff) do you collect? Leave pictures if you want.
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 9:22 am

ki4gsz wrote:
For me, I've been playing Magic:The Gathering for more years than I care to mention (but I did buy Alphas & Betas new) and having even played in the World championships a couple of times (got wiped out pretty quickly, but hey, the trip was fun) so I've collected the award cards, oversized, foils, etc... as mementos, since the early 90's...

Very Happy

I got in when Unliimited just hit the shelve, but was able to stock up on Beta boosters and starters all the time. Nothing beat pulling a pack fresh Power 10 card and for playing with, a black border deck was a must!
I stopped playing back around 94/95 due to intense migraines. I played a total denial, creatureless 5 color deck that when it worked, was designed to let me drop to around 5 life and then sit there and then take anything down. It was such a pain in the ass, but it beat most anything out there and very consistently.

I too hit some of a couple regional championships (Philly & Boston) and always got knocked out early, but I never used that deck for it (I wanted to keep my real deck under wraps for the real games I was about to play).
I knew my main deck probably wouldn't beat the top players near the top so ruled out getting a seat in the top X so I always used a Juzam beat down type of deck for fun. Once I was knocked out, that is when the REAL fun started. Wink

Ante Baby!
I played anyone for selective card ante (not top deck ante)... I would only play for Moxes or Lotuses and I had a binder about 3" thick full of jsut Moxes and Lotuses! Shocked Cool

When I sold most of my collection, I bought my first new car (a Ford Probe GT). Back then I was happy to get 30-60 for Moxen and about 75 for a Lotus from a local shop. affraid How I wish I saved at least one full page!!! I could have put a down payment on a house!

I saved a few decks and over the past few years I have gotten rid of everything of value on eBay. Heck, the last few oddball cards I had helped me get a start in Star Wars again. Smile I am left with a bit but nothing worth selling card by card.

Anyway.... it was a fun game, but I took it as a money making thing mainly. Because of that the fun really wasn't there most of the time other than making up to a grand on any given weekend. Not bad for my early 20s. If it wasn't for the migraines I would have stuck around longer, but I tell you, I couldn't think right when they happened. Stupid game stressed me out becuase of the money! hehehe

I wonder if we ever crossed paths or even played each other back in the day, Ed? Rolling Eyes

Anyway.....

cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
tundra9
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
tundra9

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 11:13 am

I have a little ninja focus going on atm, and have some G.I. Joes and other childhood gems, but not much.
I used to play MTG alot, got sucked in just after revised ed. hit the shelves, had a pretty nice deck too, built up of tons of rare cards,
sold it in '04 for shits and giggles... :I am stupid:

My brothers both still play, and I'm thinking of putting the same deck together so we can play when we meet, but those cards are more expensive than
my star wars addiction..... Razz
(Just got 4 serendib efreets in, the cheapest cards in the deck)
Let me know if you come across 4 cheap Tundras! Razz
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 11:58 am

tundra9 wrote:
Let me know if you come across 4 cheap Tundras!
Good luck with that!!! The last few I sold were pushing $100 each! I can't remember what I got for my last unlimiteds or betas, but they were a ton each!

I use proxies for my decks when I get the urge to geek out with my brothers.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 1:58 pm

aside from SW I also collect corgi and dinky military vehicles as well as swords and other edged weapons.
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 2:15 pm

I've alsways wanted to collect other toy lines that I collected as a child, but any spare cash I get just ends up on Star Wars stuff. I have a couple of M.A.S.K. stuuf but thats about as far as I've got.

Other collections I do have though are Guns N' Roses vinyl and Zippo lighters. In the case of Zippo lighters though, I don't just buy them all the time, if I had enough money I could go out tomorrow just in my little town and probably buy 200 different Zippo's, the only ones I collect are basically, odd ones I like, a couple of rarities I've had for years, but my main Zippo theme, is I buy one every time I go abroad and try to keep it in theme with the place it's from, it's slow going though as I don't get away enough Sad
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 2:30 pm

General Kahn wrote:
... and Zippo lighters....
I won't say I collect them really, but I have about 30 of them. I pick the ones I like which are clean and don't have any advertising on them (a few exceptions of course).
My favorites however, are my birth year ones. I have two of the standard Zippo style as well as one slim style from 72. They work great to this day! Quality products!
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 5:15 pm

Right now my main collecting focus is on working on completing my Incredible Hulk comic set. I've got a big chunk of it done now. After last weeks order comes in I'll have something like 100 issues left to get. And am working little-by-little on the older issues and the Tales To Astonish Hulk books. Also working on picking up any other comics where Hulk is featured on the cover. So basically if it has Hulk in the title or on the cover I want it. And as an offshoot of that I'm focusing my toy buying on Hulk toys and collectables. And as a side focus I'm working on getting all Hawkman books and issues he made an appearance in.
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Quote :
but I have about 30 of them

That's about 20 more than me Very Happy I have a couple from years ago, 1 froma decomished warship H.M.S. Sirious apparently worth a bit, 1 from the Hong Kong ferry which is apparantly 1 of 100 (not sure, long story, it was a lad I worked with about 15 years ago on a holiday camp, he lost it, the following year I worked there again and during a clear out of the staff room I found it, know idea what happened to him, but that's what he told me about it the previous year) The others I have are from holidays, One from Vegas, one from Hollywood and one from Alcatraz and a couple from Mallorca and Spain.

I would love an original 'black crackle' WWII Zippo Very Happy That's about the imit of my Zippo run.
Back to top Go down
Sems Fir
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 6:16 pm

My other main hobby besides Star Wars is Led Zeppelin memorabilia. Rare items include an early 1969 performance contract signed by their late manager Peter Grant, the original letter signed by Peter Grant that was sent to Jerry Wexler at Atlantic Records that had the original debut album's artwork attached to it, a couple of rare never used concert tickets, a never sold prototype 1980 tour jacket, original artwork for Robert Plant's single Pink and Black etc.

Other than those two foci I also own a restored E body 'Cuda Barracuda. I have diecast cars, books etc.

Ever onward.

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 6:25 pm

Sems Fir wrote:
My other main hobby besides Star Wars is Led Zeppelin memorabilia. Rare items include an early 1969 performance contract signed by their late manager Peter Grant, the original letter signed by Peter Grant that was sent to Jerry Wexler at Atlantic Records that had the original debut album's artwork attached to it, a couple of rare never used concert tickets, a never sold prototype 1980 tour jacket, original artwork for Robert Plant's single Pink and Black etc.

Other than those two foci I also own a restored E body 'Cuda Barracuda. I have diecast cars, books etc...
Shocked

WOW! Congrats on those one of kind pieces!!!! I couldn't even begin to imagine how one gets into that and secures pieces like that!!! I am not a huge Zep fan (sorry!) but I can definitely appreciate what you have!
Very cool man.

As for the 'Cuda, nice!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately my mid life crisis and love of video games made me a rice-burning, boy-racer wanna be so I got an WRX STI. hehe... I wish I could collect them like Hot Wheels, but having a nice car you can spend time and money on is definitely a hobby all itself!

cool stuff, Sems Fir.
I'll check your site out later.

cheers!
Back to top Go down
ki4gsz
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
ki4gsz

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 7:10 pm

Wow guys!

Alot of variety for sure...
Back to top Go down
curch
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
curch

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 12:12 pm

Besides my vintage Star Wars, I collect vintage only of GI Joe, MASK, G1 Transformers (with a few G2 mixed in) and Starting Lineups. I also have a complete NHL Auto Collector Level of Mcfarlane figures, (only missing the Team Canada Crosby and have 95% of all the Yankees they made.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 2:56 pm

besides vintage SW I collect

- Doctor Who toys and collectables

- Corgi die-cast vehicles

- Vinyl records

- Vintage toy adverts from magazines and comics (see signature below Wink )
Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 4:26 am

I also collect fossils, some trading cards and mixed coinage cheers
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 10:22 am

I collect the Vintage Battlestar Galactica line.

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t5139-does-anyone-else-collect-vintage-battlestar-galactica
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 12:10 pm

FT- I used to collect original ww1 n ww2 german iron crosses, medals, trench art, many genuine nazi party and ss badges, ive stopped a few years ago, but it is very very hard to find the real stuff, for ever real item theres 10,000 fakes, but its the only war memorabilia that moves up in value, especially the genuine nazi stuff.
Its illegal in many countries, you cant buy it on the net, you need to buy through auction houses or the most reputable military collectable stores world wide.
I certainly have a big interest im military stuff especially german, but fear not i have no interest in nazi ideals etc, i bought it from interest and collectibility.
If anybody ever wants to trade for SW items let me know, i have some killer pieces, and a few one of a kinds, im now looking to offload it.
cheers
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Aussie Fortuna wrote:
FT-    I used to collect original ww1 n ww2 german iron crosses, medals, trench art, many genuine nazi party and ss badges, ive stopped a few years ago, but it is very very hard to find the real stuff, for ever real item theres 10,000 fakes, but its the only war memorabilia that moves up in value, especially the genuine nazi stuff.
Its illegal in many countries, you cant buy it on the net, you need to buy through auction houses or the most reputable military collectable stores world wide.
I certainly have a big interest im military stuff especially german, but fear not i have no interest in nazi ideals etc, i bought it from interest and collectibility.
If anybody ever wants to trade for SW items let me know, i have some killer pieces, and a few one of a kinds, im now looking to offload it.
cheers

I love WW2 military stuff pretty much any military stuff. By chance do you have anything from the battleship Bismark I am doing a model oh it and the Hood which my uncle died on and would love a period piece to go with it.
Back to top Go down
Boomstick66
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Boomstick66

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Great topic..
Beyond vintage SW, I collect Battle Beasts, G1 Transformers an vintage Japanese transformers, Sectaurs and am a reptile collector/breeder.
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 4:20 am

arohk wrote:
Aussie Fortuna wrote:
FT-    I used to collect original ww1 n ww2 german iron crosses, medals, trench art, many genuine nazi party and ss badges, ive stopped a few years ago, but it is very very hard to find the real stuff, for ever real item theres 10,000 fakes, but its the only war memorabilia that moves up in value, especially the genuine nazi stuff.
cheers

I love WW2 military stuff pretty much any military stuff. By chance do you have anything from the battleship Bismark I am doing a model oh it and the Hood which my uncle died on and would love a period piece to go with it.

WOW great story on your uncle, no i have nothing related to the Bismark, but if you are ever after any rare german pieces, im all up for trading with some SW stuff, i also have a ww2 allied victory medal with the rainbow cloth and angel of victory on it..
cheers mate, and id love to see the picture of your finished model when its done.
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 6:38 am

Do still play magic, started playing over 15 years ago. We still gather up and play some each year. Don't really buy as I used too though. Now I rather just pay for the cards I want and not have loads of cards without any real use for.

I collect a bunch of different toylines but usually I just find one piece that I like. Like the Ahsoka CW44 figure. Or knock offs that I find interesting.
I got a small Coca Cola collection from countries I've been in. Sadly I missed India and Finland when I was there.

Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 12:53 am

Aussie Fortuna wrote
[/quote]WOW great story on your uncle, no i have nothing related to the Bismark, but if you are ever after any rare german pieces, im all up for trading with some SW stuff, i also have a ww2 allied victory medal with the rainbow cloth and angel of victory on it..
cheers mate, and id love to see the picture of your finished model when its done.[/quote]

I sent you a PM about your collection and will deffinitly show pics of the finished model as the HMS Hood is a big part of the commonwealths history.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What else do you collect?   What else do you collect? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What else do you collect?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1