The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Cataloging & variation software

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ki4gsz
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
ki4gsz

Cataloging & variation software Empty
PostSubject: Cataloging & variation software   Cataloging & variation software I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 6:39 pm

I have looked (ok, googled) trying to find anything remotely close to cataloging & variation software, books, anything... Sleep

I have seen a few price guides, but has anyone done a tracking software (for insurance purposes, my agent told me when we add new items to our policy, we have to value it based on something other than my best guess (why yes, that piece of plastic was only $5,000) AND photos) to keep track of the different pieces from all the different makers & versions.

Can't be too hard to find the information as the 1977 thru 2012 stuff isn't going to change... Angry SW

Also, is there a PREFERRED guide & pricing book? I don't want to overspend for the new collection pieces, and my kids will just hit the bid button & Dad gets the bill :I am stupid: ...ummm, no thanks.

We each have preferred items we want to get, but seriously, what does a MR Darth Vader - ANH - Dual Signature Edition lightsaber go for? (Yeah, I have big dreams of finding one that I can afford... one day)

So if you know of any value guides &/or tracking software, please let me know. It may limit the new grey hairs... Thanks!
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Market Watch Star Wars   Cataloging & variation software I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 2:57 am

Hi Ed, for price guages it might be worth havng a look at the good work the guys from Market Watch do. Here's their blog http://chivecastmarketwatch.wordpress.com/ and you can also catch them on RS and the monthly Chivecast vintage pod.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging & variation software   Cataloging & variation software I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 3:55 am

I think i'll bookmark that one myself, cheers
Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging & variation software   Cataloging & variation software I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 7:43 am

Hi welcome

This Thread could be of use for you

Liam Smile
Back to top Go down
ki4gsz
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
ki4gsz

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging & variation software   Cataloging & variation software I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Dark Sith Lord wrote:
Hi welcome

This Thread could be of use for you

Liam Smile

Is this the thread or a different one you're talking about? Went to the one listed above... had more questions after I was there than before. LOL
Back to top Go down
Hyver
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Hyver

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging & variation software   Cataloging & variation software I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 3:31 pm

You're basicly asking for two things:

-a decent price guide (short answer: there is none, easy answer: check ebay's completed listings)
and
-a tool to help you catalogue your stuff

Both Psybertech and myself are in the process of making something like this (a tool to catalogue, not a priceguide), so depending on your specific needs, it might be fruitful to hang in there and see if our endeavours would be something to your liking.
Check out http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t5664-your-input-needed-collecting-software
I don't know about psybertech, but i'm restricting my project to 1977-1990
Maybe there are tools to be found for modern stuff.. i don't know Smile

Depending on your computer skills, you could always make your own tool.. a lot of people use excel or something similar.

hope this helps,
wouter
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyverkanda.be
ki4gsz
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
ki4gsz

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging & variation software   Cataloging & variation software I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 3:41 pm

I like where that idea is headed. I can hang tight, and muddle through finding steals & deals.

I guess the only thing right now is to determine if (for insurance values) the piece is rare enough to warrant having it graded, then the market value from the grade.

But yes, I like where that sample db is going, if the project builds over time, I would throw money in to own a copy. I think the ability to make it printable for recording purposes is great. But it also would help when I'm out looking for new pieces if I have it already or not.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging & variation software   Cataloging & variation software I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cataloging & variation software

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1