The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Vintage magazines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:04 pm

As some of you probally seen on RS, I asked about what magazines that featured SW on the cover and/or articles in them. I found quite a few so far, but am totally surprised at what magazines actually cover anything SW related. The ones I got in so far are your typical issues, Starlog, Fantastic Films, etc. But I do have some coming in that was a total surprise. National Doll World, for instance, has on the cover the 12" Fett and IG-88 dolls. And theres also Fine Scale Modeler, that you would think would just cover items like planes, cars, boats and military scale models, this issue I picked up has a Biker Scout on bike on the cover.

Heres a glance at what I do have so far.

Vintage magazines Img_1204

The American Cinematographer is a hard issue to come by.

Vintage magazines Img_1205
Vintage magazines Img_1206

Fantastic Films
Vintage magazines Img_1207

Starlog
Vintage magazines Img_1208
Vintage magazines Img_1209
My favorite is issue 19, the Holiday special issue.

Vintage magazines Img_1300
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 3:23 am

Chris, this an excellent start to your new magazine focus.
I really like that Cinematographer cover. The MAD issues are bonkers - pmsl at Mr T as Darth!

I think my favourute is the Fantastic issue with the SW National Radio cover - Dath and Chewie in the background look like they'e about to kick off lol.

One thing seeing a colection of these mags together is how it makes you really appreciate the different styles of artwork and photography that went on back then. Top stuff and look forward to seeing the other ones you mentioned Cool
Back to top Go down
Josh_T
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Josh_T

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Here are a few more you can add to your list of whats out there.

Vintage magazines 120

Vintage magazines M210

Vintage magazines 312

Vintage magazines 411

Roadshow with Rotj articles
Vintage magazines 511

Screen with Rotj articles and stickersheet
Vintage magazines 611

Screen with Rotj articles and TV listing insert
Vintage magazines 710
Back to top Go down
http://japanesestarwarscollection.webs.com/index.html
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 10:33 pm

I got the Famous Monsters 151 incoming. I love that cover... "On the way to Studio 54, Luke and Ben was stopped by the local drug dealers at a red light." lol! The Rarites and van mag I'll have to hunt down.

Paul, feel free to add some of those Pifs you have if you want. Love to see the covers, even if SW isn't on them. The Cinematographer is cool. I bid on one on Ebay 2 weeks ago and it went for $23. I didn't think it would go so high. I might end up getting all the issues for Fantastic Films and Starlog up to '87. I know Starlog I will because most of the issues had something with SW in everyone. I might become the magazine king before its over. lol! bow
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 9:58 am

Josh - nice additions, what's the story with the Monsters issue n° 151 with the landspeeder and the characters with psychedelic colours? Was it some kind of competition for custom SW?

Love that RARITIES issue too with all the misc items on the cover! Nice.

Chris - I'll take a pic soon of all the covers of the PIFs I have and add to here Smile

Great thread!
Back to top Go down
Idefix13
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Idefix13

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 3:32 pm

I love the monsters 151 cover! Are there any toy pictures shown inside this mag?

Great thread btw. Smile

Uli
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 6:36 pm

Uli, theres several pages of SW ads in it, but only a half page ad for toy related items.

Vintage magazines Img_1338

Above this is the ad for the model kits. The whole article for the contest is where people set up a diarama, or model as they put it, and they are all basicly figure set ups. I get some shots of them up later because of them look pretty cool the way they were set up.
Back to top Go down
Idefix13
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Idefix13

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 3:20 am

Cool! I'm looking forward to the other pages Smile

I have some feelings that I need to find that mag for my collection...

Uli
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:38 am

They pop up on Ebay all the time. Depending on the seller and condition, you can pick them up cheap. Got mine for 2.99
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Chris that is an awesome collection mate! Excellent idea!

I will bookmark this thread for sure and good luck with the development of your collection!
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 6:34 pm

Thanks Craig. Its going to take awhile to get every issue up, mainly the international issues. Those suckers ain't cheap.

Heres the newest batch that I got in. The Fantastic Films issue with 2010 and Dune on the cover has an article for the Ewoks Adventure. I got some others in also, but they mainly cover Indiana Jones.

Vintage magazines Img_1343

Heres part of the Fine Scale modeler. The whole article describes how they made the set up. I'll post the rest of it later.

Vintage magazines Img_1344

And for Uli, heres the some of the contest pages for Famous Monsters #151. The other pages just contained backdrop shots of how they put everything together.

Vintage magazines Img_1345

Vintage magazines Img_1346

Vintage magazines Img_1347

Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 9:08 am

Cool new additions, Chris, some of those scenes in n° 151 Famous Monsters are just brilliant. If Marco (Dr Dengar) see them he will become even more inspired with his dioramas!
Great stuff!

Just noticed the excellent artwork on the cover of the Prevue magazine Cool That looks a very cool issue!

Hopefully add some PIFs this week to the thread if my next bundle arrives bounce
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 10:46 am

I'll take a better shot of the Preview later on. The whole cover is a painting and its some killer work by Sterenko. Heres the cover.

Vintage magazines Img_1370
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 5:25 am

That Sterenko cover is just ace!

Here's a couple of PIF Gadgets, the specials 595 and 759:

Vintage magazines Pif75910
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 5:16 pm

Outstanding Paul. Love to get my hands on a copy of both. I need to start looking harder for those things.

Heres my latest to arrive

Vintage magazines Img_1386

The Mad Movies, a French mag, on the right was in with the Cinefantastique issue. The only thing with it is a shot of the sail barge battle on the back. The Doll World issue was pretty cool. I'm thinking of using one of the patterns in it to make someone a doll for Christmas. lol! Heres the story pages from it.

Vintage magazines Img_1387

Vintage magazines Img_1388
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 4:50 pm

Since I haven't added anything new lately, heres some that came in today.

Vintage magazines Img_1448
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Been awhile since I was able to add anything new to this thread, so here goes.,

Vintage magazines Img_2096

The Monsters issue has some nice ads in it for SW items.
Back to top Go down
jason11272stacey
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
jason11272stacey

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 9:45 pm

wow cool magazines chris a load of memory's in them

the scanners pic just reminds me of the vhs vidio cover that was in our local vidio rental shop Very Happy

nice share mate Wink
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 9:05 am

Nice additions Chris, cool you're still picking up the mags. I like the Mad space invaders cover and the Nintendo Power.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 7:10 pm

First ones in two years. I also got a Boys Life mag in the lot with a SW model ad on the back I didnt post up. I need to get back into the swing of things again and finish this project.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vintage magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vintage magazines   Vintage magazines I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vintage magazines

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1