The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents Empty
PostSubject: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Just a quick tip, I normally get dents out of bubbles with some strong duct tape but tonight I tried something else!

The hoover!

Firstly duct tape tip :

This is hit and miss, I would say try it first before anything else as its less damaging to the bubble and even if you can't get the dent out nothing will
really happen, you just get frustrated when it doesn't work Laughing

1. Roll the tape over your hand much like when you use tape to take hair from clothes (if you have pets you do this already, trust me Wink )
2. Stick the tape over the dent, pushing it into it as best you can, you can even put a piece of tape down first then push the rolled tape into it for extra leverage.
3. Once you are sure the tape is holding on pretty firmly you need to slowly pull the dent out, 9 times out of 10 the bubble will come towards you then dip back in so its trial and error.
4. Learn to use your strength and know when to pull and when not to (not trying to be rude!)

If the above worked then you may now have successfully pulled a dent out!

Hoover:

It worked awesomely tonight but this is risky, I wouldn't advise it unless you are happy to accept the bubble might fly off Laughing (I shit myself tonight but it ended well )

1. Its so so important that you do this on a flat surface and with one hand push down equally on either side of the bubble!
2. My hoover is 1700w on max, at that kind of power its scary but works, anything higher and I would say nonononononon and NO!
3. Be extremely careful, you need to be hovering over the power button with your foot or get someone you trust to man the off button in case you lose control!
4. Caution and good eyes is the key but don't be TOO worried if the dent pops up instantly, it most likely will, its making it stay out that is the key and you might need to try the same area a few times to keep the dent from sinking back in.
5. I accept no responsibility to your carded figure should this go wrong Laughing

Pictures to follow before and after!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 4:09 pm

Oh and if it doesn't work after several attempts, just give in, its definitely worth it if you manage it but some dents won't budge (especially awkward corner ones)

Also - please don't try this on the fragile "miscard" bubble type, these crack on their own accord so best not use a hoover on one! The rounded or etched larger and thicker bubbles are the ones you want Wink
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 4:58 pm

Im very keen to see some before and after pictures Joe!!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 6:08 pm

jaymassive619 wrote:

Im very keen to see some before and after pictures Joe!!

Before pictures :
MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents Before11MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents Before10

After pictures :

MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents After10

MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents Info10
Back to top Go down
tigerham
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
tigerham

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 8:13 pm

Fair play Joe. I've used a hoover to get dinks out of things before and like you said just gotta becareful when you do but works ;-)

Nice job!
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 8:25 pm

Are you warming up the bubbles first? ie. with a hairdryer or in the sun
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Nope thats "cold". As plastic can shrink when heated (and if it does go it tends to happen in a split second) I would never take the chance, I have heard hairdryers can be used to give the plastic a bit more give but IF I were to warm it I would definitely just let it heat up slowly in the sun rather than go from room temp to hairdryer heat in a few seconds.

I think Jay is going to try the tape method soon, maybe he has some good results!

Hoover trick is completely at your own risk and please don't risk it on anything fragile - just want to repeat that to everyone lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
tigerham
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
tigerham

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 8:38 pm

SHIT!!! I just cracked the bubble on my MIM MOC! head bang lol!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Laughing Laughing I really hope no horror stories come out of this ! LOL

One more picture, the black line shows where the bubble front is now and the red line indicates (roughly) where it used to sit at the worst part.

MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents Dent10

I would really like to see what Carl thinks, he used to own it and saw the old dent, it wasn't huge but it was visible and caught the light highlighting it even more but now its gone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tigerham
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
tigerham

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 9:24 pm

Nice work Joe and it's a bevelled cornered tri Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 2:16 am

I cant believe the results Joe!

I have a Lando General Tri Logo MOC with the same bubble depression that im hoping to try this on - I need to build up the courage first!!
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 3:29 am

Good idea, and even better, it works!! :clap:

Before and only 10 s after applying: Joe’s Dents Free©

MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents Dent10

To be honest I would lack the courage and stick to the duck tape.

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:05 am

Im not a moc collector...but i would try to heat it....with a hair dryer!

Anybody ever tested this????

This works on other plastics that were deformed....

heat would make:

1. the material softer (for a short time)....too hot will deform it!

2. A more flexible material "wants" back into his original form

3. the air in the bubble gets hotter....so it will expand....and maybe gives a little pressure from the inside!

You can fix ping pong balls by doing them into hot water!

Maybe try a bowle with warm water (50...maybe more degrees celcius)...and just dip the blister in....that would help not to overheat the bubble! the right bowle and a calm hand will garantee a dry cardback and a not overheated bubble!

Wolff

Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:19 am

The difference with ping pong balls and MOC figures is the price Laughing You can get 72 ping pong balls on ebay for $7.99 Twisted Evil

I agree on the principle for sure, we all know plastic is easier to work with when its heated or hotter I just think you wouldn't forgive yourself if you took a hairdryer to a bubble and without wanting to shrunk or damaged the bubble Sad

With the hoover method you have a great deal of control because you need to apply pressure on the sides of the bubble with your hand to stop the hoover "taking" the card, its easier to gauge whats happening if you are holding on to it lol

It's definitely interesting to hear other methods, if anyone tries something with heat or water and it works please post the results!

The unfortunate thing with bubble dents is that you don't get the opportunity to work from the inside out otherwise you could make it all perfect again!
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:21 am

Joe_O wrote:
The difference with ping pong balls and MOC figures is the price Laughing You can get 72 ping pong balls on ebay for $7.99 Twisted Evil

I agree on the principle for sure, we all know plastic is easier to work with when its heated or hotter I just think you wouldn't forgive yourself if you took a hairdryer to a bubble and without wanting to shrunk or damaged the bubble Sad

With the hoover method you have a great deal of control because you need to apply pressure on the sides of the bubble with your hand to stop the hoover "taking" the card, its easier to gauge whats happening if you are holding on to it lol

It's definitely interesting to hear other methods, if anyone tries something with heat or water and it works please post the results!

The unfortunate thing with bubble dents is that you don't get the opportunity to work from the inside out otherwise you could make it all perfect again!

I have some cardbacks with bubble still attached....I will do some experiments Very Happy

Sadly these are MIM cardbacks...so if anybody is interested in let me know....in 10 min I will start! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:27 am

LOL

Countdown to destruction Laughing
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Quality joe.

I had actually considered doing this to a tri anakin i have with a big push.

I have had success with duct tape in the past, but in the end bottled the hooved idea.

I once had a tri with a small crack and used a straw to push thru the crack and blew gently, the pushes just popped back out.
Corner ones are the hardest, i've had little success with these.

I may pluck up the courage and try to sort anakin out this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 12:10 pm

Good luck Del!

Did you pick up the Dengar? He said he would hold it for you!
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Yes mate i did, £25 delivered so not bad.

I was working nights and on RS on my mobile, but it was playing up so couldn't see if he replied until i got home.

Thanks for chiming in btw

Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Np! Was a good deal, I am also thinking of a tri set and was debating whether or not to ask the same question you did, I am happy someone I know got it!

Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Joe you got one serious set my friend! I'd be so afraid to try that!!! Well done!
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
tigerham
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
tigerham

PostSubject: Bubble Restoration!   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 7:13 am

hey guys someone told me about using tape so I used double sided as seemed to be strong so here's the before and after shot. Sorry I forgot the name of who showed me but I'm sure they'll crop up in this post Very Happy

MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents Before-and-after

Just got the other three corners to try but this corner was the worst but yet not the hardest :-S lol
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 7:58 am

There you go Ham I've joined the threads Wink
Back to top Go down
tigerham
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
tigerham

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:15 am

Ah shweet James nice 1 and big thanks to Joe for the tape tip Very Happy

Joe check out my Wicket amendment Wink

Also Joe with a bit of work you could get those corner dinks out too I reckon.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:27 am

Glad to see another dent pulled out Smile I think Jay and John did the same as well on a tri and all went well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents   MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOC tip: Trilogo bubble dents

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next