The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Woman's Day Outer Space Station

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TauntaunScout
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
TauntaunScout

Woman's Day Outer Space Station Empty
PostSubject: Woman's Day Outer Space Station   Woman's Day Outer Space Station I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2020 10:27 am

Hello,
After hemming and hawing and numerous setbacks I have finally started building the infamous Outer Space Station. You can read more about it here. http://theswca.com/images-speci/womansday/ Being as that I am stuck at home for an unforseeable number of weeks, why not now? I have to make this with whatever materials I already have in the garage. So this means altering the thicknesses of plywood used, and I will be sanding it and painting it white instead of laying down sheets of white countertop material.

If it goes extremely well, perhaps I will make better versions using the proper materials later.

I am starting with the park and the landing pad. The pieces have been patterned and traced onto wood. Next I must cut them out, clean and sand them, when the rain lets up a bit. "Cleaning" the pieces is a very real phase because I'm using some very dirty plywood that's in been stored a long time.

These will be played with by actual children, aged 3 and 5. They own a selection of SW Galactic Heroes, and they are beginning the transition to 3.75" scale during the long semi-quarantine. I gave them each a Kylo Ren Force Link starter set and a Rey, plus 4 non-articulated OT figs I found at 5 Below, and a dozen or so 1990's 3.75" OT figures I used to use as desk ornaments in my 20's. Furthermore, I have around 12 MOC figures apiece for TFA and SOLO in my basement to dole out to them on rainy days, and a TFA A-Wing and TIE Fighter.

The landing pad is probably not going to have action features, so the 3 year old doesn't break it. It'll be designed as a double-decker parking lot for spaceships, essentially. The TIE can land on top, the A-Wing can rest below.

I haven't decided if the park will get the original PVC pipe monument, or if we'll find a random toy person/animal/whatever and spray paint it gold to make a statue...

Depending on storage space, the kid's level of engagement with the playsets, and my wife's patience, I will keep adding modules until either it's done, or we're done. The finished set is huge (3'x5') so I can't see my wife going for us taking over half a room dedicated to this thing but who knows.

Back to top Go down
TauntaunScout
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
TauntaunScout

PostSubject: Re: Woman's Day Outer Space Station   Woman's Day Outer Space Station I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 pm

Making cardboard patterns from the building instructions took forever. With that done I traced them onto scraps of plywood and started cutting. There's still a little bit of cutting to do today but I think I am out of good enough weather for today.

I managed to cut out almost all the park and landing pad pieces though.

Woman's Day Outer Space Station YDId9pU
Woman's Day Outer Space Station VlXobJ1
Back to top Go down
TauntaunScout
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
TauntaunScout

PostSubject: Re: Woman's Day Outer Space Station   Woman's Day Outer Space Station I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2020 4:15 pm

I found the impetus to go out and saw the rest of the pieces. Below are the pieces, propped up, in the general shape of the finished toy. My own old Kenner stuff for scale. My boy is obsessed with TIE fighters, and my girl wants female characters to choose from. So I managed to find a cheap MIB 1st Order TIE Fighter for the one kid, and an A-Wing with "Tallie" the female pilot for the other. The plan is, when the landing pad is mostly built, to adapt a 1/4" plywood second story as shown, so it can accommodate both kid's spaceships at once. The park will have a statue where the horse is, and benches where the brightly colored plastic fences are. But I haven't decided exactly what those will look like so I haven't cut anything out for them yet. Here they are, as individual and combined playsets. I just propped them up with masking tape and stuff to take some quick pics, they aren't actually assembled yet.

Next is a lot of sanding, gluing, putty, nails, and who know what else has to happen. Then probably paint, then more nails and glue, then more paint. I left off the side stairs to the landing pad. They just don't seem to serve any purpose (they don't reach to the top or anything) and add more footprint. I may cut a row of oval shaped slits in the back wall of the A-Wing hangar, to let in light and make it look more Star Warsy. Gotta order some hinges too for the park's drawbridge thingy.

Woman's Day Outer Space Station CTttwPz
Woman's Day Outer Space Station YyCKUo4
Woman's Day Outer Space Station NNGZpVf
Back to top Go down
TauntaunScout
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
TauntaunScout

PostSubject: Re: Woman's Day Outer Space Station   Woman's Day Outer Space Station I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2020 12:13 pm

More work is done. The landing pad is spackled (I was out of wood filler, d'oh!) and when it dries it'll be sanded and given 3 or so coats of white paint. Then some details will be painted on. I added a hole in the TIE landing area so that figures can be dropped down to their doom. I also put 3 portholes on each wall of the lower landing pad to let light in. Some progress was made on the park, but not as much. This is because the park will greatly reward painting while partially assembled.

Woman's Day Outer Space Station DY5omED
Woman's Day Outer Space Station LZMevfd
Woman's Day Outer Space Station 8YaK0wG
Woman's Day Outer Space Station LtGVcZ4
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Woman's Day Outer Space Station   Woman's Day Outer Space Station I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2020 2:45 am

Cool project based on a very famous diorama! Good luck on the progress!
Back to top Go down
TauntaunScout
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
TauntaunScout

PostSubject: Re: Woman's Day Outer Space Station   Woman's Day Outer Space Station I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2020 9:21 am

The landing pad is done. Ish. I got it covered in several coats of latex paint. Then with only a couple (nearly worn out) sharpies and a some improvised stencils, I embellished at as well as I could. Gloss varnish to protect the ink once its good and old, say 48 hours dry. Ink can do weird things, it's best not to trust it. I haven't told the kids it's done. Waiting till I need a quarantine distraction. On to more work on the park!

Woman's Day Outer Space Station GGYNsk4
Woman's Day Outer Space Station M6DixQs
Woman's Day Outer Space Station HFcnA95
Back to top Go down
TauntaunScout
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
TauntaunScout

PostSubject: Re: Woman's Day Outer Space Station   Woman's Day Outer Space Station I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 12:59 pm

I hit the landing pad with a couple coats of gloss spray varnish and gave it to the kids for May the 4th, along with TFA spaceships. The young one's obsessed with TIE fighters for some reason, and the older one understandably wants more "Star Wars girls" in the collection and has always had a thing for our LEGO A-Wing. So the boy got the TIE, the girl got an A-wing w/Tallie.

Woman's Day Outer Space Station Zvofg8h
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Woman's Day Outer Space Station   Woman's Day Outer Space Station I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Woman's Day Outer Space Station

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1