The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Help with Jawa identification

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cardnut
New User
New User

Help with Jawa identification Empty
PostSubject: Help with Jawa identification   Help with Jawa identification I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2019 11:13 am

I would like to thank everyone who has put information on this site, it is amazing how much info is available here.

I have just started collecting loose figures. I have picked up a few lots so have obtained a few doubles of figures. I started to hear about variants so looked at the 4 Jawas I had. I had 2 different versions of the COO stamp. I checked on this thread and was able to find a Jawa comparison. From what I can tell 1 looks like a normal Kenner stamp but the 2nd looks like a Lili Ledy stamp. On the first page of this thread, Part 1 it notes that Lili Ledy and Kenner used the same molds. I am quite certain that it is a Kenner figure as I am from Canada and picked it up form a person here. There were numerous figures and also Canadian Card Backs 12 Back versions so I can only assume they were original early run figures. Is there any way to determine when figures were produced based on the COO stamp? Also is there any difference in value or desirability of 1 stamp vs the other or is it just preference of the individual collector.

Any thoughts or guidance is very welcome.
Help with Jawa identification Front_10
Help with Jawa identification Logo_110
Help with Jawa identification Front_11

Help with Jawa identification Logo_210
Back to top Go down
orangpendek
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Help with Jawa identification   Help with Jawa identification I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2019 8:19 am

Hi there Cardnut, both of your figures are Kenner, there is no difference in value or desirability of 1 stamp vs the other. There is also no way to pinpoint a manufacturing date based on the date stamps alone.

The Mexican factory started jawa production in the ROTJ years using 2 datestamps that had previously used by Kenner. You can not determine if a figure was made by Lili Ledy by looking at the date stamps but if you have a Lily Ledy figure ( almond shaped eyes, grey bandolier, removable hood cape, paler pinkish colour limbs ) it will have one of these 2 date stamps, if it has one of the other stamps it is a Kenner figure with custom paint that ended up in a Ledy cape or a cut down Kenner cape .

Just out of curiosity, did your haul include a Canadian Jawa cardback? If so i would love to see a picture Smile
Back to top Go down
Cardnut
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Help with Jawa identification   Help with Jawa identification I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2019 8:53 am

Thank you @Orangpendek for the reply. Excellent information. Here are 2 pics of the cards. The Jawa is the 12 back. Help with Jawa identification Jawa_c10
Help with Jawa identification Cardba10
Back to top Go down
orangpendek
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Help with Jawa identification   Help with Jawa identification I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2019 11:36 am

Always happy to help  Smile   Thanks for the pictures, i have 2 Canadian 12 backs that look like they had a vc Jawa blister and i always wondered if all Canadian 12 backs cloth and vc came like that but seeing yours confirms at least 2 different types of blisters being used in Canada, still not 100% sure if mine were once vc but the chances are increasing  Very Happy  .
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Help with Jawa identification   Help with Jawa identification I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2019 9:44 pm

Cardnut wrote:
Is there any way to determine when figures were produced based on the COO stamp? Also is there any difference in value or desirability of 1 stamp vs the other or is it just preference of the individual collector.

David, I don't think there is a coo stamp is more desirable over any other.

As for the VC coo. This is a good read.

http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/vcjawa.htm
Back to top Go down
Cardnut
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Help with Jawa identification   Help with Jawa identification I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2019 10:25 pm

Thanks @Commander Clint. Great article on the Vinyl Cape Jawa. Appreciate the reply and advice.
Back to top Go down
Russell Nash
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Help with Jawa identification   Help with Jawa identification I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2019 1:02 am

Heya!

With regards to the vinyl caped Jawa I cannot make a comment as don’t have one! However, Looking at your Figure I can at least observe that this is the Meccano French Variant From a 78 square card. This Variant Differs From the more Generic Hong Kong Counterpart As it has an Enlarged Right Hand to Hold His Blaster more Comfortably! I have Both Figures in my Collection from when I was a Child and both have the cloth cloaked Accessories. So in short I guess what I’m trying to say is that, One Jawa- the French Produced Variant- has a Large Right Hand And the more Generic Hong Kong 78 COO Counterpart dose not.

I Hope this Helps?

Best

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
orangpendek
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Help with Jawa identification   Help with Jawa identification I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 8:18 am

Russell Nash wrote:
Heya!

With regards to the vinyl caped Jawa I cannot make a comment as don’t have one! However, Looking at your Figure I can at least observe that this is the Meccano French Variant From a 78 square card. This Variant Differs From the more Generic Hong Kong Counterpart As it has an Enlarged Right Hand to Hold His Blaster more Comfortably! I have Both Figures in my Collection from when I was a Child and both have the cloth cloaked Accessories. So in short I guess what I’m trying to say is that, One Jawa- the French Produced Variant- has a Large Right Hand And the more Generic Hong Kong 78 COO Counterpart dose not.

I Hope this Helps?

Best

Sent from Topic'it App

Hi Russel, good eye on the Jawa details Very Happy ! You are right, all the meccano square cards have a figure that looks like this but... not all figures that look like this come from a square Meccano card. The figures were produced in Hong Kong and then shipped around the world to be packaged and sold by Kenner, Palitoy, Meccano and other companys so you can find this coo variant across the globe on different cards.
Back to top Go down
Russell Nash
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Help with Jawa identification   Help with Jawa identification I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 9:18 am

Heya!

That’s Good to Know! The Insidious Jawa with an Enlarged Right Hand Invading World Wide Collections! The Majority Of My Collection Came On Palitoy, Kenner And Tri- Logo Cards! It was just that one of My Jawa’s was bought in France. I’m Learning Something New Every Day About My Collection! I’ve might have said it before, but it is so Ironic Having Toys That Have an Almost if Not Mythical Status within their Lifetime and Mine!

Best

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with Jawa identification   Help with Jawa identification I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with Jawa identification

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1