The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Darth Vader with sonic welded foot?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jedijoe
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

Darth Vader with sonic welded foot? Empty
PostSubject: Darth Vader with sonic welded foot?   Darth Vader with sonic welded foot? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 4:34 pm

I recently picked this Vader up with several other early production figures. After closer inspection I came across what looks like a sonic weld on his foot. Could this be a sonic weld or is it a result of a bad pour?  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Jedijoe 
Darth Vader with sonic welded foot? A52dfe10Darth Vader with sonic welded foot? 26ec8210Darth Vader with sonic welded foot? D8ce6410Darth Vader with sonic welded foot? E88b6310
Back to top Go down
Russell Nash
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader with sonic welded foot?   Darth Vader with sonic welded foot? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Heya!

I have a Biker Scout Just Like That! I thought that it might just be a problem with the injection moulding process- that’s assuming the Vintage Line were manufactured that way? But I would be interested to know about how the Figures were Sonic Welded Together?

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader with sonic welded foot?   Darth Vader with sonic welded foot? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 4:40 am

Sonic welding applies to the torso only. The foot is the result of an undershot of plastic in the injection process, other examples of 'shortpour'/ undershot result in no leg markings &/or short leg(s). I even recall a figure's foot that looked like a camel toe Razz
Back to top Go down
Russell Nash
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader with sonic welded foot?   Darth Vader with sonic welded foot? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 5:14 pm

Heya!

I had a Bad Feeling that it was something to do with the injection moulding process- or short pour. But as I was saying I would Love to see some actual footage of Star Wars Figures being Manufactured and in Particular the Sonic Welding? I’ve watched on the Tube and it is quite intriguing! It would be great to see what sort of jig that they used to keep the three, four and five points of articulation in place FX- 7 Medical Droid notwithstanding? I would love to see how Palitoy and Kenner assembled Him. I’ve seen a bit of footage with Figures being sealed to their card backs. Seeing the size of those iron plates you have to wonder how the actual Figure was not turned to goo!? Ha! Obviously they had thermostat settings to prevent this and a limited time or they would probably burn the card, bubble and Figure and All! I wonder what the turn over rate was in terms of how many Figures that had to be sonically welded together? How many Figures Per Minute!? It must have been fun though? 06:00 shift the line would begin with a 1000 Han Solo’s 13:00 you swap out for a 1000 Luke in Bespin’s and by shut down you top things off with a 1000 Imperial Tie Pilots!? I would Have Loved Turning Up to that Job! Staff Discount! Legal Discount- not the Five Fingered Variety! Just think- you would be surrounded by the Smell of Vintage Star Wars Figures Multiplied by God Knows? Mmm Vintage! The New Star Wars Figures of the 90’s And now the 2020’s Do Not Smell the Same! Modern Plastics! It’s pure nostalgia when you smell your Vintage Figures and the Vinyl Capes in Particular! I know I get that Tranquil Fuzzy Feeling! Some times I will take one Figure out of the Collection to inspect or just admire and before I know it an Hour has Gone! That’s why when I do a thorough check it takes the morning to bring everything out and the afternoon to put it back again! I used to know a guy whose Collection was so Vast you could not walk through His Living or Dining Rooms! He had some really obscure stuff that I never even knew existed and then He would hand me a Gem that I had half forgotten about! I cannot imagine how much his carded stuff would be worth now?! 12 Backs All Palitoy! Boba Fett on an Empire Card! All the Power of the Force Carded Figures! Yeah it was Crazy what this Guy Had! Carded, Loose you name it he most likely had it! Back then when I was a college student his Collection was worth a great deal- now it must be worth a blinding Fortune!

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader with sonic welded foot?   Darth Vader with sonic welded foot? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 7:11 pm

Good luck finding footage of it. Not much footage has turned up of star wars assembly.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Darth Vader with sonic welded foot?   Darth Vader with sonic welded foot? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Darth Vader with sonic welded foot?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1