The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

C-3PO Problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bababooeyfett
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Bababooeyfett

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 5:09 pm

My C-3PO has turned black in some places, with the most pronounced at the left armpit, to which, is referenced in the photograph. Does anyone know what this from? Can it spread? Is there anything I can do? I tried to search for such a thing, but to no avail.  Any information and/or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I have posted pictures before on this forum from my gallery, but I am struggling with it now for some reason. My apologies. Below is the link to the picture from my personal TIG gallery. If someone could also help uploading it, I would greatly appreciate that as well. It's the most recent picture of C-3PO, with an arrow pointing to the area of concern.

https://2img.net/u/3011/13/96/10/album/20180111.jpg

C-3PO Problem 20180110

Last edited by ArtooDetour on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added pic)
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 5:28 pm

I'm adding your pic now.

It looks to me like a reaction with the metallic paint. Maybe some chemical got onto the figure? I've not seen this before as I recall so not sure tbh.

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
Bababooeyfett
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Bababooeyfett

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Thanks for posting my pic and for your input. For some more context... It's difficult to tell by the picture, however, where it has turned black at the armpit and other areas not shown in the pic, the gold paint is missing revealing only silver paint. So the areas where it has turned black, it is on the silver areas where there is no gold.
Back to top Go down
Calrissian_Charm
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Calrissian_Charm

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Perhaps he kept with unclean women
Back to top Go down
Bababooeyfett
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Bababooeyfett

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Perhaps. I didn't note it prior. This is a Takara C-3PO. Is it possible they used paints that degraded and tarnished over time, unlike the Kenner counterparts?
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Is it 'tarnish' or has gold chipped off to reveal black plastic underneath? I have seen another with 'chips' and black plastic was exposed.
Back to top Go down
Bababooeyfett
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Bababooeyfett

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 9:49 pm

It's not chipped, so I would say it's tarnish. The only thing I can think of is that the tarnished areas were exposed to moisture somehow. If that's the case, is there anything I can do. This figure is one of my "prized" ones.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 am

Assuming you have already done the warm soapy water and soft toothbrush to it to see if it is something that will wash off? Outside of that all you could do is introduce chemicals which is a no go in my book.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
Bababooeyfett
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Bababooeyfett

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2018 9:57 am

I haven't done anything yet. I was thinking about apossibly using chemical solution, ie, a chrome polisher, but I won't now after your feedback about using chemicals a no go. As long as the tarnish doesn't spread to other areas, I can live with it. Thanks
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2018 1:59 pm

I would recommend a warm soapy bath with a soft toothbrush to scrub the areas. The thing with chemical introduction is the chance that long term damages can occur. Chemical can make the plastic brittle, alter the color of the paint, make the paint peal, melt plastic, etc... there are no chemical introduction that can be made that you can still call the toy vintage and original. even shining products can add a layer of something that wasn't originally there. For purist these factors play an effect in the item such as lowering value or diminishing the item.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2018 2:28 pm

wow on a takara , that sucks bro . I feel for you . ive been after one for years and id be annoyed that this happened to such a rare figure to say the least . good luck with it
Back to top Go down
Bababooeyfett
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Bababooeyfett

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks for the sympathy HellHippie, I am sick about it. TrappedTexan, you made the point that if I did polish it in anyway that it would alter it. That is something I would have never thought of. I am glad you made that point. Because if I got a figure that was polished or altered to look better, I would not be pleased, so why would I do the same to mine. I will take your advice and try to spot clean the affected area first with soap and water. I am too apprehensive at this point to soak the entire figure. If nothing works, i will live with it. It is still a great figure even with this defect.Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

C-3PO Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: C-3PO Problem   C-3PO Problem I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

C-3PO Problem

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1